By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Oculus Rift Will Cost “More than $350”

Normchacho said:
d21lewis said:
I'm probably just going to buy one vr headset. The price doesn't matter as long as the one I get is the best one available (games, support, quality, comfort).

Which platforms will support which? I only know a little with the PlayStation one. If Occulus is PC only, they may have decided for me. I'm a console gamer.

The Rift will be PC only. There was some speculation that it will be able to run on the Xbox One, but Oculus has said that they aren't really close to that happening. I imagine mostly because it would require the Xbox One to run a game in 2160 X 1200 at 60 fps.

If developers are supposed to be targeting an R9 290 or GTX 970 (lets not even discuss CPU requirements), for the Rift, you can forget about Xbox One support.

Around the Network

Bit too much but I figured the first sets would be a bit pricey until the tech matures.

I'll probably end up with the Galaxy Gear VR as I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 and the sets only $99... assuming they bring it to the UK.

BraLoD said:
kitler53 said:

doubtful.

psvr has lower specs and the business model is to sell hardware at cost so that they can software with the royalty fees.  OR is going pc so they'll have to sell the hardware at a profit to make money since there are no royalties.

psvr will probably be $200 to $300 depending on how much sony is willing to substidize it. 

They said PSVR will be priced as a new platform.
Now looking at Oculus price I can say it'll be around $350 as well.

they also said it would be priced as low as possible.   ...and to be frank there is less tech in psvr than in psvita which launched at $249 to $299 (wifi vs 3G) and was also a new platform.

BraLoD said:
kitler53 said:

they also said it would be priced as low as possible.   ...and to be frank there is less tech in psvr than in psvita which launched at $249 to $299 (wifi vs 3G) and was also a new platform.

That's what I was hoping for, to it to be priced at Vita level, but after this I'm unsure of it.

yeah but just compare the specs:  http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/oculus-rift-vs-playstation-vr/

OR's resolution is much higher.

OR has higher FoV.

OR has magmetometers.

OR's constellation tracking system uses infrared tech which is more expensive tech than the visual light that ps uses.

OR ships with an xbox one controller which i promise won't be the case with psvr since it's being built for ps4 where everyone has to already have one.

psvr is cheaper to produce.  it has to be or sony is doing it wrong.

kitler53 said:
BraLoD said:

That's what I was hoping for, to it to be priced at Vita level, but after this I'm unsure of it.

yeah but just compare the specs:  http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/oculus-rift-vs-playstation-vr/

OR has higher FoV.

OR has magmetometers.

OR's constellation tracking system uses infrared tech which is more expensive tech than the visual light that ps uses.

OR ships with an xbox one controller which i promise won't be the case with psvr since it's being built for ps4 where everyone has to already have one.

PSVR will have to ship with move controller though and the camera.

Around the Network
Scoobes said:
kitler53 said:

OR has higher FoV.

OR has magmetometers.

PSVR will have to ship with move controller though and the camera.

no they don't, the ps4 pad will be the standard just like how OR is shipping with an xbox pad and their motion controller thing is sold seperatly.  also there are like 30 million move controllers sold,.. i have 2.   and a charging station.  and a nav.  and a ps4 camera. 

they'll sell just the headset as an option.  there will also be a bundle with the camera.  maybe even a premium bundle that also has a move controller.  the headset/camera bundle with what i think retails for $300.  $250 for just the headset.  $350 for headset, camera, move, and nav.  that's my prediction.   maybe subtact $50 of of each if sony is particularly bullish.

Unless the Rift had some significant improvements, this seems overpriced based on my experience.

kitler53 said:
BraLoD said:

OR has higher FoV.

OR has magmetometers.

Does OR use an RGB screen now or still a pentile display like the DK2 version?
Otherwise the resolution is not actually higher and psvr has the more expensive screen.

PSVR has a higher refresh rate, I wonder if it will come with some kind of frame interpolation hardware to reach 120 fps that will add to the cost.

Honestly, I think the Oculus will launch at $399, and be sold at a loss, because Facebook wants to increase the number of users it has.

I also think that PS VR will be sold for $399.

People seem to forget that Sony had a few "head mounted display" models (model HMZ-T1, -T2 and -T3) that sold for $800 or more ($1,300 for the T3) not too long ago. I doubt Sony wants to sell PS VR at a big loss.

PS VR is great for a single person who lives in a small apartment and doesn't have a big TV or doesn't have room for a big TV. With the headset, you will feel like you are looking at a big screen TV, and you won't actually need a TV at all. $399 for PS VR is quite cheap when compared to buying a 65" TV.

Personally, I don't fall into that category, so unless there is a killer app (something like Star Citizen for PS4 maybe?), I cannot justify the investment.

SvennoJ said:
kitler53 said:
BraLoD said:

Does OR use an RGB screen now or still a pentile display like the DK2 version?
Otherwise the resolution is not actually higher and psvr has the more expensive screen.

PSVR has a higher refresh rate, I wonder if it will come with some kind of frame interpolation hardware to reach 120 fps that will add to the cost.

I believe the consumer version is stil pentile but they did change from one 2160 X 1200 display to two 1080 X 1200 displays.

PSVR does indeed use a processing unit to split the image and perform frame interpolation.

Edit: I should also say that I think PSVR will have a lower starting price. Even if just because the very base version won't need to come with anything. No headphones, no controller, not even the camera.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.