By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How different would the US market be if they had to pay these prices?

What % of the US game market would be left if they had to pay these prices?

PS3 and 360 games for $105 - $115 US

Wii games for $75 - 95 US

Australians actually pay this for their games

Note: The conversion rate is 95cents AUST to the $1.00 US

Around the Network

I know what you mean, here in the Netherlands we pay similar prices.

Rip off I buy all my games second hand I unfortunately live in Australia. Everything here is a rip off housing prices are really expensive, food is expensive, clothing is expensive, petrol is expensive, everything is expensive. To make things worse wages have not increased  much in 10 years. Inflation is out of control. Australia is one of the highest taxing nations in the world.

I, for one, can most certainly say I would not have half the Wii games I currently own (27) if I had to pay 50%+ more for them.

You forgot to say how much more expensive your consoles are, too. By what I understand, in Sweden, the Wii costs something like $425 USD.

SW-5120-1900-6153

I wouldn't pay those prices but thank god I don't have to.

PSN ID: WAR_MACHINE77  Wii friend code: 7186 4304 6064 5134 Gamertag: WARMACHINE mk2

VGCHARTZ PRESENTS:

BI-WEEKLY LEAGUE
Post here to play with fellow VGC members in WarHawk! -> http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=21937
Around the Network

So the relative price of consoles/software is better in the US because the dollar is dropping to record lows against practically every major currency, and our economy is crashing. Lucky us.

Prices will drop eventually. You can't use the current exchange rate since the tanking US dollar is fairly recent. Think back a few years when the Aussie buck was nearly half that of the greenback. The prices dropped in Canada and games and system's now sell at par. The Xbox 360 was the last holdout and dropped to par less than a month ago. The PS3 has been at par for 6months or so. The PS2 debuted in Canada at 449.99 back in 2000 when the same system was 299.99 in US.

Its the same here, but the worst examples were N64 games, they were incredibly expensive! I bought Ocarina of Time and Super Mario 64 for 800NOK each! That's roughly 160$...

@Wiistation360: Lol, you sir are correct, this is hardly the time for Americans to rejoice over dollar exchange rates, it benefits very, very few indeed.

Mummelmann said:
Its the same here, but the worst examples were N64 games, they were incredibly expensive! I bought Ocarina of Time and Super Mario 64 for 800NOK each! That's roughly 160$...

@Wiistation360: Lol, you sir are correct, this is hardly the time for Americans to rejoice over dollar exchange rates, it benefits very, very few indeed.

US exporters are doing marvelously.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

"What % of the US game market would be left if they had to pay these prices?"

Please pretty please learn something about exchange rates. Direct conversion is pretty much meaningless (and are made dozens of times). Use Purchasing Power Parity adjusted rates for real conversion. (PPP 1$ ~ 1E that means over a wide variety of goods you get as much value for 1$ in the States as for 1E in Europe).

Why is that so?

The value of the dollar (in relation to Euro/pound/A$) has dropped by what 30% in 2 years?
That doesn't mean that 60$ games are suddenly 30% cheaper for Americans than 2 years ago. For Americans the prices stay the same. There wages aren't in Euro neither. Over time the differences will come together.

Besides in Europe VAT is included in prices and high and in America VAT isn't included and low. Europeans generally get ripped off by their government anyway.