By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How different would the US market be if they had to pay these prices?

The Video Game industry were talking about would probably not exist at all...
(At least not in the US)

Guitar Hero 3/ Smash Hits
Around the Network

in my country
if its a new game
X360 or PS3 or WII = 80$

and this is too much if you compare it with average people salary

I know I wouldn't be buying anything.

The situation is worst in Latin American countries, here in Peru the Wii can reach $500 USD. and new games can cost up to $75 USD.
The PS3 cost $750 USD. way too much if you consider that the minimal wage is $190 USD. a month.

the only good thing about the low dollar is that the cost of petrol hasn't gone through the roof. We currently pay about 9 us dollars for a gallon (yeah still alot). If the US economy rises again it will probably go to about 15-16 dollar for a gallon.

Predictions
I will win the internetz
Around the Network

Lol, it's $20 a gallon here and rising, $9 is cheap as hell!

God. Quit complaining.

As of 2007, the minimum wage is $13.74 per hour or $522.12 per week.[13]

Canada's minimum wage is ~$8/hr.

Thanks to everyone for your comments

It appears that other factors need to be taken into account such as income, tax , etc

Kasz your comment that we should be comparing to Japan is a good one, as prices for Japanese goods would be effected by their exchange rate not the US (exception being Microsoft)

One thing that bothers me though, for Australia in particular is that our prices have increased slightly over time even while the exchange rates have been in our favour over time for both Japan and the US. This tells me companies are making more off the consumer by taking advantage of the better exhange rate, and I feel this in the long run is counter productive to our local gaming industry

Any way thanks again for all your comments, I actually learned something

Well, we can look at this for comparison. If 95 is the highest Wii game.... 95/13.74 = 6.914 or ~7 hours of work to buy a game. 59.99 is highest in Canada, AFAIK, so 59.99/8 = 7.49 or 7.5 hours of work to buy a game. Barring taxes, which I think are very similar, 13% here 15ish or so in Australia, it's about the same. There's my point.

well first off I'd buy 90% of my games as used to bring it down to normal prices (60-70$$). The only games I'd pay that for are GT5, GTA5, KZ2, Res 2.

I'm back...