By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Chrono Trigger the Greatest RPG Ever Made?

Is Chrono Trigger the Greatest RPG Ever Made?

Yes 117 42.86%

No 111 40.66%

I haven't played it so I can't say. 45 16.48%

Total:273
Ka-pi96 said:
sc94597 said:
What is with the Final Fantasy 8 love in this thread? It is generally an unpopular game in the series (for, in my opinion, good reasons), so it is odd to see so much love here. Not that I am stomping on your parade or anything haha. ;)

You sure about that? People generally refer to the glory days of Final Fantasy as 7-9 often including one or both of 6/10 as well. But still 8 is included in there

Final Fantasy 8 was viewed as a huge letdown gameplay-wise and is generally considered the worst on Playstation from what I've seen. So it was interesting to see more than one or two people mention it in this thread, in sequence. Personally I would rate IX, VI, IV, X, V and VII above it. Nevertheless, the game gets hate for its broken gameplay mechanics, realistic style, and drab story.

Around the Network

FF8 is terrible, easily the worst 3D FF ever done except for the 13 that is even worse.

sc94597 said:

Final Fantasy 8 was viewed as a huge letdown gameplay-wise and is generally considered the worst on Playstation from what I've seen. So it was interesting to see more than one or two people mention it in this thread, in sequence. Personally I would rate IX, VI, IV, X, V and VII above it. Nevertheless, the game gets hate for its broken gameplay mechanics, realistic style, and drab story.

I strongly disagree about the last part. The gameplay is addictive, the story is superb - with some questionable plot devices here and there - and the style had...well, pardon me for the repetition here, style.

Ka-pi96 said:
BraLoD said:
Ka-pi96 said:
sc94597 said:
What is with the Final Fantasy 8 love in this thread? It is generally an unpopular game in the series (for, in my opinion, good reasons), so it is odd to see so much love here. Not that I am stomping on your parade or anything haha. ;)

You sure about that? People generally refer to the glory days of Final Fantasy as 7-9 often including one or both of 6/10 as well. But still 8 is included in there

8 doesn't get near as much love as 7 or even 9.
People may reffer to the PS1 era as the golden era (others to the SNES era), but 8 is generally not there.

That's as far as I have saw in the internet, of course.

Doesn't get as much love as 7/9 =/= unpopular.

Also, it took 94th place in VGC's greatest games event last year. IIRC your favourite was 12 right? That was 126th so...

These were the rankings for the following games in the series: VII (2nd), VI (8th), X (11th) , Chrono Trigger (12th), and Final Fantasy IX (32nd.)

Here is the description for Final Fantasy VIII:

"The VGChartz community loves RPGS, there is no denying this. Even a title that many regard as the ‘black sheep’ of the Final Fantasy series has found its way to the top half of the list. Final Fantasy VIII gets much criticism for Square’s decision to discard the much loved Materia system in favor of the Junction battle system. No matter how you feel about the Junction system, there are many people who regard this iteration as the best in the series. Square designed a much more mature aesthetic for this iteration of Final Fantasy and backed the style up with an equally mature and memorable plot. The story and the characters that revolve around it feature the same quality that we all have come to expect from Square. The pre-rendered environments were improved over the previous installment and the summons became more integral in turn-based strategy. Final Fantasy VIII may be a departure from the formula, but the result speaks for itself."

Ka-pi96 said:
Wright said:
sc94597 said:

I strongly disagree about the last part. The gameplay is addictive, the story is superb - with some questionable plot devices here and there - and the style had...well, pardon me for the repetition here, style.

Wright knows! Best gameplay/story there has ever been in an FF game. And the realistic style was fantastic. The artstyle of 9 was a huge let down after 8.

Final Fantasy should have some semblance of Fantasy. I like the blend of realistic and fantasy elements XV is going for, didn't like it so much in VIII.

Around the Network
Goodnightmoon said:
FF8 is terrible, easily the worst 3D FF ever done except for the 13 that is even worse.

Well, I'll be damned. I actually agree with ya on something. 

Ka-pi96 said:
sc94597 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Doesn't get as much love as 7/9 =/= unpopular.

Also, it took 94th place in VGC's greatest games event last year. IIRC your favourite was 12 right? That was 126th so...

These were the rankings for the following games in the series: VII (2nd), VI (8th), X (11th) , Chrono Trigger (12th), and Final Fantasy IX (32nd.)

Here is the description for Final Fantasy VIII:

"The VGChartz community loves RPGS, there is no denying this. Even a title that many regard as the ‘black sheep’ of the Final Fantasy series has found its way to the top half of the list. Final Fantasy VIII gets much criticism for Square’s decision to discard the much loved Materia system in favor of the Junction battle system. No matter how you feel about the Junction system, there are many people who regard this iteration as the best in the series. Square designed a much more mature aesthetic for this iteration of Final Fantasy and backed the style up with an equally mature and memorable plot. The story and the characters that revolve around it feature the same quality that we all have come to expect from Square. The pre-rendered environments were improved over the previous installment and the summons became more integral in turn-based strategy. Final Fantasy VIII may be a departure from the formula, but the result speaks for itself."

Where are you getting your information from?

VII (21), VI (20), X (40), Chrono Trigger (16) and IX (34) And I don't see any descriptions anywhere. If Smeags had to do a description that long for all 500 games I think he would have went insane by now

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=196074&page=1

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/3742/the-vgc-top-100-best-games-of-all-time-10-1/

Didn't realize there was a new list.

Hiku said:
It's one of the best.
There's no way to say which one is THE best... unless you say Suikoden 2. *cough*

^ PREACH!

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid

What a waste of a thread talking about FF8...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Honestly though, I only played this for a couple hours, but couldn't be bothered to finish it, Suikoden II, LoD, Chrono Cross, FFVII, FFIX, these games though I've played at least twice. Of course Suikoden II I've finished 5 times, just couldn't let it go until I got the best ending .

Edit: I feel a Deja Vu here, weird.

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid