By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So... Why everybody complains so much about Wii U's hard drive and not the PS4 one?

Because the 8gb version can't have a digital aaa game installed.

Besides this was discussed and some users have complained in the past. I would like more space as well but cost to go 500gb to 3Tb is big. While nintendo 8gb was cheapskate and obnoxious.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

All of this gen's consoles launched with fairly small storage options. Each has a solution to expand the storage (either through HDD replacement or external USB storage).

If each console launched with 1 TB SSD and at a price of $599, I think there would have been more complaints then there are now.

Personally, since I am trying to go all digital this generation, the Wii U is the most limited out of the box for me.

Intrinsic said:
First you compare 32GB to 500GB.

Then you seem oblivious to why its necessary to install all games on the HDD. Think of this, WiiU games come on DVD type discs. Max capacity of 9.5GB. what that tells you is that a level in any WiiU game is probably no bigger than 2GB of assets that needs to be in system RAM at any one time. now imagine you needed to move as much as 5GB of assets from the disc to RAM to load up a level. and that you were doing that all from a disc as opposed to from a HDD which has average speeds that are over 4 times faster than a disc.

The why doesn't matter to the consumer. Only the end result.

And then you somehow suggest that you need to "open your console" to change the HDD in the PS4, I wouldn't call sliding off something that's adequately called "the HDD faceplate" opening the console, just go look at what you need to do to change the HDD in an XB1. That's opening a console

The PS4 supporting external HDDs isn't a priority cause its the only console of the 3 that has instructions on how to change the HDD in the manual and that so doing doesn't void your warranty.

That's not the point. This whole post misses the point. Yes, it's awfully easy and sucka-free to swap HDDs on a PS4, but the point is that if you continue playing new games, you will have to acquire more storage at some point, just like you would if you want to amass a digital collection on the Wii U.

And lastly, you have options, if you don't want to go through the trouble of practicing a little data management, then you can spend $69 on a 2TB HDD and another 10 mins installing it into your console. its not a big deal.

You can say the exact same thing about the X1 and the Wii U as well. Options are a good thing.

Are you seriously comparing 32gb with 500gb. Plus sony has made it really easy to upgrade your hard drive by yourself if you want more. I can't see your reason for complaining... if ps4 launched with 1tb hard drive then people would complane about the release price. You can't have it all.

Conina said:
burninmylight said:

I'm kind of the, "I don't want to call us official, but I'll keep your number for when I get horny again" kind of gamer. It may be years before I return to a game, but I want all of my save data right there when I do, especially if I want to start a New Game+.

You don't lose your save data when you delete the installation data!

I wasn't talking about PS4 games specifically. On modern games, yes. Not the case with Wii, WiiWare and VC games.

Around the Network

I got both my Wii U and the PS4 I bought brand new last night for below MSRP, so I could just use the extra $150 I saved between the two on one external for each of them if I wanted to. So I personally don't care.

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

32 <<<<<<<<<<< 500 GB , i can save a hell lot movie file there not just games. And also does Nintendo release new version Wii U that has more hard disk like PS4? or allow the hard disk to be up-gradable ?

The point is, even with bigger hard disk it will fill up very fast, but PS4 will take longer to fill up on the same games with the same capacity.

Roberto10 said:
Are you seriously comparing 32gb with 500gb. Plus sony has made it really easy to upgrade your hard drive by yourself if you want more. I can't see your reason for complaining... if ps4 launched with 1tb hard drive then people would complane about the release price. You can't have it all.

its ssd against hdd+ the wiiu can be run with any possible external storage.

but yeah, nntendo should make a 64 or 128gb wiiu. 32 is a bit low.

ps3-sales! said:
I mean, you can't really compare the size of huge games on Ps4/Xbone on Blu ray disks to smaller sized games on the Wii U DVDs.

The Wii U optical disc has the same capacity as a single layer PS3 disc, which is 25 GB.

The Wii U disc has another unique feature which is the curved/rounded edge of the disc. 

DivinePaladin said:
I got both my Wii U and the PS4 I bought brand new last night for below MSRP, so I could just use the extra $150 I saved between the two on one external for each of them if I wanted to. So I personally don't care.

Just upgrade the internal PS4 HDD. After that, use the replaced 500GB HDD as external drive on the Wii U. No need to buy two HDDs.