By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anita Sarkeesian and Zoe Quinn are speaking at the UN about online harassment

- Yesterday Anita, Zoe and co. met with Google Ideas to find ways to fight against online harassment:

After posting the above tweet and getting the expected responses, Google Ideas posted the following:

- there is a UN live stream where apparently they will speak about the topic of "Cyber Violence Against Women & Girls: A Worldwide Wake-Up Call". Here it is:

http://webtv.un.org/live-now/watch/launch-of-the-broadband-working-group-on-gender-report/4484980560001#full-text

I don't know if it is over or not. I just saw it. Maybe it hasn't started.

- the description of the live stream event says the following:

The UN Broadband Commission for Digital Development’s Working Group on Gender, co-Chaired by UNDP Administrator Helen Clark and UN Women Executive Director Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka and supported by ITU, will launch its final outcome report entitled “Cyber Violence Against Women & Girls: A Worldwide Wake-Up Call” in New York on Thursday 24 September. The report tackles the increasingly urgent issue of safety and security online for women and girls.

Format: Working Group Co-Chairs Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka, Executive Director, UN Women and Helen Clark, Administrator, UNDP will launch the report before an invited audience of top-level guests. High-level interventions will be followed by a moderated panel discussion led by report coordinator Nidhi Tandon and featuring special guests including Baroness Beeban Kidron (award-winning director of the film ‘In Real Life’ and the leader of the UK-based iRights campaign), online activist Anita Sarkeesian, and others. The panel discussion will also provide for audience interaction.

The event will be filmed and selected Tier 1 media will be present.

Event organized by the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) in collaboration with UN-Women and UNDP.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Around the Network
AbbathTheGrim said:

The event will be filmed and selected Tier 1 media will be present. 

And media that won't question the narative will be allowed, everyone else refused.

Ka-pi96 said:
Doesn't she harass people online herself though?

I read that same comment in one of the responses to the above tweets. xD

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Whhhhyyyyy....

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Why would the queens of hating white/straight/males walk into the den of the beast itself?

Around the Network

anita speaking about online harassment is like making saudi arabia the head of the UN human rights council...

Ka-pi96 said:
Doesn't she harass people online herself though?

Takes one to know one I guess.

Next, Putin talking about peace.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

generic-user-1 said:
anita speaking about online harassment is like making saudi arabia the head of the UN human rights council...

At least your example would be interesting.

An awesome event in which u can't clap because it could trigger people.

I'm all for free speech but prestigious organization should take a better look at who they give credit to.

Only females get harassed online? That's interesting.