By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can someone explain again;..What is the difference between NPD and VG sale.

Can someone explain (again sorry).

How does NPD track sales and what is the difference between NPD and VG ?

I though I saw a thread before where someone mentioned that NPD tracks 40% of the market and VG 20%

I get this question a lot and I want to have a answer X_X....

Around the Network

>I though I saw a thread before where someone mentioned that NPD tracks 40% of the market and VG 20%

make that about 60% for NPD.. and about 5% for VGC... other than that, they are pretty much the same.

Outside that VGC tracks weekly number, while NPD does monthly (and only in US)

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

The difference is the sample size.

NPD collects close to 60% of the market.

VGC collects ...... less than 10%, I believe.

They do it through the same methods. NPD has a much larger network with paying customers, VGC is freely available from ioi who has contacts in the industry.

Thank you Dolla and kingofwale ^^''.

No problem, We aren't saying which is accurate though. We still love VGC because of the forum and prediction league and pretty diverse topics here. But when it comes to bets, I personally (emphasize on "Personally") would go with NPD numbers.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Around the Network

NPD is bigger -- but not necessarily better.

It does not get data from Wal-Mart or Toys R Us.

Given that everytime I go to the former, the Nintendo games area seems to be busiest, and given that the latter usually has special deals from Nintendo and has almost as much space for Wii games as Xbox 360 and PS3 combined,
the numbers of NPD may be skewed toward traditional gaming stores, which are not where everyone is buying games this genreation.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

^What?

I thought it got data from Wal-Mart and Toys R Us.

Are you sure :s?

konnichiwa said:
^What?

I thought it got data from Wal-Mart and Toys R Us.

Are you sure :s?

Nope. NPD used to get data from Toys R Us, but now it just extrapolates data from the old data they used to collect. And, I don't think they've ever had Walmart data.

I don't buy that argument for a second.

I mean, how many of us knows where ioi gets his sources from? I'm sure NPD adjust their number accordingly. After all, those people make money at predicting those numbers.

selnor
Episode 2:

NPD costs 15 grand.

Here, worst thing is I'll insult you or you get to read threads made by 13 year olds. Or Bruceongames.

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.