By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo release a Mario player app on phones and tablets.?

no: it would be a horrible experience to even try playing mario maker levels on smartphones

Around the Network

As Baalzamon have already said, it wouldnt work out as a game.It wouldnt have the quality a mario game has, and just wouldnt play right.But even if it did, i hope it never goes, just because it would not atract new consumers to the wii u.The audience that it would ultimetaly target would be those people that play smartphone games because they are free, and would never buy a 300 dollar machine.Not to mention that it beats to purpose of buying a wii u game, when you can play its games on the smartphone, even if just a part of it

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

No, they should just make a new Mario game for iOS/Android built specifically for touch controls.

Besides, to be honest, I enjoy Mario Maker a lot, but 98% of the levels made by people are crap so it wouldn't leave a good impression on people.

Dravenet7 said:
FromDK said:
Dravenet7 said:
Platina said:
So you can either buy the Wii U game for $60-70 (depending on region)
when you can buy a mobile version for just $5? This would for sure harm Wii U sales, if anything...

This

It's not the same..

Pretty big part of Mario Maker is... "Maker"

A mobile app (not version of mario maker) that can play the levels.. is no where near "the full experience"

(and I dont know how they would price it :) 5$ was just an examble)

Another pretty big part of Super Mario Maker is that its a game that you actually play.

Its at least half the experience.

First.. :) :) this is Mario Maker.. no matter how you spin it.. "maker" is the biggest part  :)

But OK.. Lets say they did give acces to all levels like the WiiU version.. And they not hold back skins and other things people should have to unlock/pay for..

It's still a "mobile game"  You do not argue that mobile and homeconsoles offer the same.. ?

Baalzamon said:
I honestly don't feel like it would be that good of an experience. Between the screen being too small, and the controls being difficult to emulate (without making the screen even smaller), I feel like it would push away from the usual experience that Mario provides, and actually provide a false picture that Mario isn't as fun as it used to be.

Actually, I think if they make something for tablets that might work quite well - there are platforming games on tablets that work really well with standard controls, even if it's touch screen.

For example, I'm currently playing Leo's Fortune, and honestly, I don't think game would be any better if I had real controller in hands:

Of course, bigger question is would it be profitable to do it, given that they would have trouble selling it for more than 1/6-1/5 of usual console price.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
No, they should just make a new Mario game for iOS/Android built specifically for touch controls.

Besides, to be honest, I enjoy Mario Maker a lot, but 98% of the levels made by people are crap so it wouldn't leave a good impression on people.

If they don't do this.. yes.. No reason to play it quiet.. :)

But no reason why Nintendo should "promote" any but good rated levels.. (And then.. It would leave a good impresion)

FromDK said:
Dravenet7 said:
FromDK said:
Dravenet7 said:
Platina said:
when you can buy a mobile version for just $5? This would for sure harm Wii U sales, if anything...

This

It's not the same..

A mobile app (not version of mario maker) that can play the levels.. is no where near "the full experience"

Another pretty big part of Super Mario Maker is that its a game that you actually play.

First.. :) :) this is Mario Maker.. no matter how you spin it.. "maker" is the biggest part  :)

But OK.. Lets say they did give acces to all levels like the WiiU version.. And they not hold back skins and other things people should have to unlock/pay for..

It's still a "mobile game"  You do not argue that mobile and homeconsoles offer the same.. ?

First...: this is Super Mario Maker if really want want to start getting technical about it. No one is buying this game just to make stages and put it away. No spins, no twist. This is the reality. The name of the game doesn't mean that's the full game.

Secondly, your question is baiting for an answer, and honestly its not clear what you're asking with how you're writing it. I will tell what I am arguing:

This game should not be on mobile. Especially for the reasons you have said. It would canabalize the sales of the game that was created. 

Dravenet7 said:
FromDK said:
Dravenet7 said:
FromDK said:
Dravenet7 said:
Platina said:

This

It's not the same..

First...: this is Super Mario Maker if really want want to start getting technical about it. No one is buying this game just to make stages and put it away. No spins, no twist. This is the reality. The name of the game doesn't mean that's the full game.

Secondly, your question is baiting for an answer, and honestly its not clear what you're asking with how you're writing it. I will tell what I am arguing:

This game should not be on mobile. Especially for the reasons you have said. It would canabalize the sales of the game that was created. 

I'm just saing that you cant compare a mobile version of a game to a homeconsole counterpart.. 

And that "this game" would not be on mobile.. If there was a mobile app that could play the stages made on WiiU..

(and we don't no etiher if other things than the "maker" element would be missing from such an app (could also be missing the WiiU skin.. or other)

FromDK said:
Dravenet7 said:
FromDK said:
Dravenet7 said:
FromDK said:
Dravenet7 said:
Platina said:

This

It's not the same..

I'm just saing that you cant compare a mobile version of a game to a homeconsole counterpart.. 

And that "this game" would not be on mobile.. If there was a mobile app that could play the stages made on WiiU..

(and we don't no etiher if other things than the "maker" element would be missing from such an app (could also be missing the WiiU skin.. or other)

Look, I'm gonna say this again: Making a stage isn't the actual game. That's why you're not asking to make stages on mobile and play them on the Wii U. Because you absolutely know that a huge selling point is playing user created stages.

If you really want to ask for user created stages from the Wii U because its "not really the game" you might as well as for NSMBU for mobile because its not really a game either...

Dravenet7 said:
FromDK said:
Dravenet7 said:
FromDK said:
Dravenet7 said:
FromDK said:
Dravenet7 said:
Platina said:

This

It's not the same..

Look, I'm gonna say this again: Making a stage isn't the actual game. That's why you're not asking to make stages on mobile and play them on the Wii U. Because you absolutely know that a huge selling point is playing user created stages.

If you really want to ask for user created stages from the Wii U because its "not really the game" you might as well as for NSMBU for mobile because its not really a game either...

And im gonna say (again :) that playing the same level on a mobile and WiiU is not the same experince.. (I hope offcourse its good.. but it can never be like playng the full game.. on WiiU/TV

But lets agree.. to disagree on this one..:)  And go back to the qustion that you raise..

If playing Mario on smartphone is very good (like you say) and we know that this game is very well received.. how big could it be..

Would it make sense for Nintendo to do it.. I mean good press and pr is worth some.. and we know that some of the best mobile games a downloaded by the "many millions".. earning a lot of money.. even so they cheap or "free to play"

And what would "many millions" players.. playing a gimpet down version.. of levels they know other have made on wiiu.. Mean for the sales of the full game and wiiu.. (good press/pr.. posible higher share value.. future Nintendo and theire mobile dreams.. as i see it.. this could be much bigger than few million game sales)