By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Did sony 'steal' the marketing rights for MGSV:TPP from xbox?

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

3edgy5me, I'm outta here

Please don't mind me. I'd rather have a conversation with you of any kind, than with people that says that Halo5 will sell 2m LT.

They scare me. Why do you think I carry a victims card with me.

Around the Network
Goatseye said:
John2290 said:
A correct title for this thread would be "Did Sony snake out the rights for TPP from MS"

And no, whatever the case may be, Sony has more "right" to any marketing edge to this series than MS imo. MS got away with enough popping the rights to Tomb Raider for a full year and Sony are going pretty light on them. I'm all for healthy competition but a one year deal is anti gamer. To me it reads "We took a franchise you like hostage for a year, now buy our big old box if you don't want to wait.

Sony could make a deal like that without having to pay a cent but I don't see them resorting to these horrible tactics.

Those 1 year exclusive content on Destiny are another horrible tactic by MS.

They had one last year and another this year running through 2016.

Destiny is a new IP and not comparable to the Tomb Raider deal, an IP that was always more closely associated with Playstation.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:

Destiny is a new IP and not comparable to the Tomb Raider deal, an IP that was always more closely associated with Playstation.

Tomb Raider II became PS exclusive after the first one was released on Sega Saturn.

Sony signed a deal for the second game to stay away from Saturn and N64. That's the whole story and no "closely associated" deal.

Dark_Feanor said:
John2290 said:
A correct title for this thread would be "Did Sony snake out the rights for TPP from MS"

And no, whatever the case may be, Sony has more "right" to any marketing edge to this series than MS imo. MS got away with enough popping the rights to Tomb Raider for a full year and Sony are going pretty light on them. I'm all for healthy competition but a one year deal is anti gamer. To me it reads "We took a franchise you like hostage for a year, now buy our big old box if you don't want to wait.

Sony could make a deal like that without having to pay a cent but I don't see them resorting to these horrible tactics.

Let´s also forget about Street Fighter V...

Those deals are not made for free, dosen´t matter how bigger the PS4 user base is.

SFV is only console exclusive, so you're not forced to buy a PS4 if you don't want to, you can get it for PC on the same day it releases on PS4. And like so many people like to say, when it's convenient, PC is Xbox these days because they are virtually interchangeable.

And Sony never played cute and coy over the nature of the exlusivity, which is a lot of what got people pissed about the whole RoTR exclusivity announcement and gave it more internet legs than it would have got if it had been permanent console exclusive. The head explosions would have been bigger and more vitriolic, but it would have all been over in a short space of time. Whereas with all the pussy-footing around by MS/SE/CD the internet arguments about the nature of the exclusivity kept on going right up to the day they announced that it was a few months timed for PC and one year timed for PS4. A lot of emotional crap and forum bans would have been avoided if they'd been up front about it from the start. Of course different emotional crap and forum bans would have happened, but at least they would have happened on the basis of confirmed information not lack of information and mis-information.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

All I know Kojima want this franchise to only ps but KONAMI need the money after over 80 million dollar can't blame them.

Around the Network

Did Microsoft steal E3 2013 MGS V marketing conference from SONY? This is not a rocket science since 7th gen Microsoft is always trying to pull this pathetic card by stealing SONY exclusive even without backed by sales performance. We know PS2 era SONY did the same thing but unlike Xbox 360, PS2 did by utilizing market share power, the same with PS4 now.

I just noticed same thing happened with MGR:R. Advertised at xbox's conference, had a little bit of PS exclusive content, wow

I mean, MGS will always be heavily associated with Sony, it's going to sell better on PS4 for that reason, and it's sold almost twice as much as the xbox one at this point.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Dark_Feanor said:
The question and the answers here make no sense.

You guys live to much into the console warriors territories.

The 2014 world reveal do MGS-V is nothing out of the extraordinary. And was a bold move for Microsoft leaving another COD campain gamplay. And it was a reminder that MGS is not a Sony exclusive.

E3 deals are only E3, the heavy stuff are signed before or after the event.

This is actually the most significant point here. Considering MGS1, MGS2, MGS3, and MGS4 where PlayStation exclusives, Konami (despite losing their minds) had more to gain at the MS conference then the PS one; the PS4 sales were basically guaranteed but they needed people to know it was also on Xbox and later PC.

MGS1 - PS1 1998, PC 2000, Remake for Gamecube 2004 (Twin Snakes)

MGS2 - PS2 2001, Xbox & PC 2002, PS3 & 360 2011, Vita 2012

MGS3 - PS2 2004, PS3 & 360 2011, Vita & 3DS 2012

MGS:PW - PSP 2010, PS3 & 360 2011

MGS4 is the only PlayStation exclusive.

W

SWORDF1SH said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Dark_Feanor said:
The question and the answers here make no sense.

You guys live to much into the console warriors territories.

The 2014 world reveal do MGS-V is nothing out of the extraordinary. And was a bold move for Microsoft leaving another COD campain gamplay. And it was a reminder that MGS is not a Sony exclusive.

E3 deals are only E3, the heavy stuff are signed before or after the event.

This is actually the most significant point here. Considering MGS1, MGS2, MGS3, and MGS4 where PlayStation exclusives, Konami (despite losing their minds) had more to gain at the MS conference then the PS one; the PS4 sales were basically guaranteed but they needed people to know it was also on Xbox and later PC.

MGS1 - PS1 1998, PC 2000, Remake for Gamecube 2004 (Twin Snakes)

MGS2 - PS2 2001, Xbox & PC 2002, PS3 & 360 2011, Vita 2012

MGS3 - PS2 2004, PS3 & 360 2011, Vita & 3DS 2012

MGS:PW - PSP 2010, PS3 & 360 2011

MGS4 is the only PlayStation exclusive.

You forgot MGS portable op for psp that canon in the story. The make 2 exclusive Lol