By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - If the Wii U had full support from all the major 3rd parties, would it have competed with the PS4?

Would the Wii U have done significantly better?

Yes, for sure. No doubts. 105 46.88%

Nope, still would have flip flopped. 105 46.88%

Yo Mama 14 6.25%

Total:224

Ninty would still be in 3rd place and competing with them head to head could very likely cost them more money. Ill take a gamble over a 3rd clone personally. Ninty clearly agrees.

Around the Network

Nah the WiiU wouldn't get anything that is strictly 8th gen for the PSOne, probably PS360 ports with the hardware.

Goodnightmoon said:
theRepublic said:
More games is always better than less games. At this point though, 3rd parties have been actively moving against Nintendo for at least a decade. It is going to take more than a single generation to repair the three-way relationship between Nintendo, third parties, and gamers.

False, GC  had most of the multiplatforms and Wii had a lot of third partie games, usually not the same ones that Ps360 but it had others, and they needed just one generation to go from their worst selling console to their best one. And of course, neither gba, NDS or N3DS lacked third party support at all.

The Wii came out in 2006.  That is close enough to a decade for me.  The Wii had terrible third party support.  Did it have good, and even great third party games?  Sure it did.  But not the ones that needed to be there.  The big multiplatform hits either never came, or came late.  Yes, Nintendo can easily go from last to first in a generation, but that is not what I was refering to.  I was refering to the relationship between Nintendo, third parties, and gamers.  It is the relationship that is disfunctional, and will take time to repair.  The transition from GC to Wii certainly didn't fix anything.  Nor has the transition from Wii to Wii U.

The GameCube did have good third party support.  You are right about that.  But the N64 didn't, so I could really argue this started almost 20 years ago.  I was actually being a bit generous in only saying a decade.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

I think it would probably at least be second place worldwide.

Having its own versions of top games like FIFA, Dragons Age Inquisition, Destiny, etc along with Nintendo's own titles for more then 1 year and a half, I think the system could have really taken off.

But then again, this would also require better advertisements that would showcase that the games are actually ALSO on the Wii U.

RubberWhistleHistle said:
AEGRO said:
Nintendo cant compete with Playstation. Period.

Lol. That's pretty laughable. The ol' "Sony is God" mentality. 

The ol' "Even tho historically Sony has destroyed Nintendo from every point of view, i just cant accept that fact" mentality.

Ps1, Ps2 and Ps4 havent been enough tho?

Around the Network

It would have made it ahrder for the other to catch up - have a better first year but coming 3rd of the generation anyway!

Switch!!!

AEGRO said:
AEGRO said:

The ol' "Even tho historically Sony has destroyed Nintendo from every point of view, i just cant accept that fact" mentality.

"In every point of view", that´s why the last generation Nintendo won selling the same amount of consoles than Ps1 and Ps2 combined, that´s why Nintendo handhelds have beated big time the 2 sony handhelds and that´s why Sony is not even close to sell as much first party games as Nintendo is able to sell even on their worst selling consoles.

Wii U was the perfect Nintendo console for third parties: weak first party output won't outshine their games.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Goodnightmoon said:
AEGRO said:
AEGRO said:

"In every point of view", that´s why the last generation Nintendo won selling the same amount of consoles than Ps1 and Ps2 combined, that´s why Nintendo handhelds have beated big time the 2 sony handhelds and that´s why Sony is not even close to sell as much first party games as Nintendo is able to sell even on their worst selling consoles.

Ps1 = 104.25

Ps2 = 157.68

Ps1 + Ps2 = 261.93

Wii = 101.17 

Sigh...im done with you bro.

AEGRO said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Ps1 = 104.25

Ps2 = 157.68

Ps1 + Ps2 = 261.93

Wii = 101.17 

Sigh...im done with you bro.

Wii + NDS= 256m

Not other company has sold so many consoles in one single gen, and it happened just like gen with Sony on the competition.