Tagged games:

Do you expect a PS4 Price Drop in the US this Fall

Yes 116 60.73%

No 42 21.99%

See Results 32 16.75%

Total:190
UltimateGamer1982 said:
thismeintiel said:
It amazes me the mental gymnastics some Xbox fans go through to claim Xbox never gets a price cut. They did it last gen with the "just replacing SKUs" argument, and they're doing it this gen with the "unbundling of Kinect" excuse. The XBO has had a $150 price cut since launch, just get over it. Just like if the more desired SKU gets a price cut, while the most bare bones SKU remains $199, that's still a price cut

Did Sony call it a "feature removal" when they dropped the price back then by removing BC for ps2 games, or memory card slots, or usb ports? 

Cause I remember the term "price cut" being used. 

I guess "unbundling" is the new word for price cut and we missed the memo. 

Did Sony themselves say that it was a price cut? or did they say that they are "introducing" a new model at XXX price?

Big difference. 

New model, less features, lower price... looks like a price cut but isn't. 

Tricks of the trade at retail really.

To illustrate, here's an example on detergent...kinda a long way from game consoles, but the basic principle is the same.

1. Original detergent X available for $5 in a 1kg bag.

2. detergent X gets a new formulation and is advertised as "you now need less! and is now priced at $4.49"... WOW price cut!

3. until you look at the packaging and realize that the new formulation comes in a bag of 800g...WOW! 

price cut my ass... its cheaper coz you get lesser. but that isn't a price cut. its actually a new sku at a new packaging and new price point.. 

why do you think they price stuff at 9.99 or 499 or 349 or even 1199? coz it gives an impresion that its cheaper...people go, hey, its less that 10 dollars, or its below 350! thats damn good price!  even though its just a doller away from being 350.00...

again, tricks of the trade.

Around the Network
UltimateGamer1982 said:
thismeintiel said:
It amazes me the mental gymnastics some Xbox fans go through to claim Xbox never gets a price cut. They did it last gen with the "just replacing SKUs" argument, and they're doing it this gen with the "unbundling of Kinect" excuse. The XBO has had a $150 price cut since launch, just get over it. Just like if the more desired SKU gets a price cut, while the most bare bones SKU remains $199, that's still a price cut

Did Sony call it a "feature removal" when they dropped the price back then by removing BC for ps2 games, or memory card slots, or usb ports? 

Exactly.  And PS fans weren't playing games trying to claim it wasn't a price cut.  We knew what it was.  Never in the history of gaming has a console's fans tried to argue so hard that their system has not gotten a price cut.  I guess we have a new breed that came about last gen.

A_C_E said:
UltimateGamer1982 said:

Price cut or "unbundling", whatever you want to call it, if you wanted a Xbox one 22 months ago, you had to spend $500. 

Now today, if you want an Xbox one, you only have to spend $349. 

So from 2013 to 2015, it IS $150 less than since it originally launched. 

There's no getting around that. 

PS4 was $399 when it launched. And it's still $399. No price cut or "unbundling". Still $399. 

That's what ppl see. And I'm sure to most ppl, they also see a price cut. 

Calling it something else doesn't change the fact it's still $150 cheaper than it was when it first launched. 

Why do so many people say that the Xbox One was $499 but can now be bought for $349? Everyone knows this, lol, there's nothing to get around. What I don't get is the people who support the term "$150 price cut" even though we've proven that term doesn't apply here. Nobody is saying the Xbox One can't be purchased for $150 cheaper than originally launched so is there any way we can stop the redundant "But its $150 cheaper" arguement?

I don't know why this bugs me so much but could you and the others at least pretend like you are smart enough to understand the concept? Pretty please?

PS - Yes they should remaster the SSX series, that series was amazing on the PS2.

At least there's someone else around here who gets it.

I also don't know why this bugs me too. Must be due to me having over half a decade experience in retail and the another over half a decade in procurement, where i'm currently in. Its not a fun job mind you...

the correct slogan would be "you can now game on the xbox one for $150.00 cheaper than on launch" i think.

notice I  said game and didnt use the phrase "xbox one experience" since at launch, MS was aiming for this with the sku with kinect. now that its unbudnled, its not the "same" thing. you can game on a base model, but you dont get the "xbox on" voice command thingy lol wich is part of "the experience"... so they said back at launch. 

funny that it was a selling point back then and now...its all but forgotten trolololll! serves them right for their stupid DRM crap that they  tried to pull.

A_C_E said:
thismeintiel said:
It amazes me the mental gymnastics some Xbox fans go through to claim Xbox never gets a price cut. They did it last gen with the "just replacing SKUs" argument, and they're doing it this gen with the "unbundling of Kinect" excuse. The XBO has had a $150 price cut since launch, just get over it. Just like if the more desired SKU gets a price cut, while the most bare bones SKU remains $199, that's still a price cut.

I'm a PS fan and I claim that Xbox One never got a $150 price cut. If I did say Xbox One got a $150 price cut I would be using improper terminology. Its not an excuse or mental gymnastics lol, its called using proper terminology. If you want to take the time to understand this (apparently difficult) concept then go ahead but ignorance shouldn't have a voice...or a keyboard. Its kind of funny to tell people something over and over again and have them still not get it.

Unless you guys are being sarcastic and I just look like a fool haha...but this is the internet and some people DO have a hard time understanding certain things so if you guys are being serious then...that's pretty unfortunate, good luck in life.

Nope. Those are mental gymnastics.  If you could only buy a product for $499, then it's changed to $399, that's a price cut.  You can play games and talk about unbundling, or replacing SKUs, but the fact remains, the stinking price was cut.  Unless we want to claim the new PS4 cut isn't a cut since Sony is "unbundling" it from unnecessary internal HW and more expensive components, which allowed them to CUT the price.  Sorry, I don't like to play those type of games.

thismeintiel said:
UltimateGamer1982 said:
thismeintiel said:

Exactly.  And PS fans weren't playing games trying to claim it wasn't a price cut.  We knew what it was.  Never in the history of gaming has a console's fans tried to argue so hard that their system has not gotten a price cut.  I guess we have a new breed that came about last gen.

still no.

and for the record, replacing "SKU" is actually a valid argument.

New sku, new configuration, lower price = new price point and not a price cut.

but if it were the same sku, same configuration, lower price = then that is a price cut.

and for the record, these kind of things are almost always called a price cut, even if it isnt. tricks of the trade... gotta love retail and pricing... 

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
A_C_E said:

I'm a PS fan and I claim that Xbox One never got a $150 price cut. If I did say Xbox One got a $150 price cut I would be using improper terminology. Its not an excuse or mental gymnastics lol, its called using proper terminology. If you want to take the time to understand this (apparently difficult) concept then go ahead but ignorance shouldn't have a voice...or a keyboard. Its kind of funny to tell people something over and over again and have them still not get it.

Unless you guys are being sarcastic and I just look like a fool haha...but this is the internet and some people DO have a hard time understanding certain things so if you guys are being serious then...that's pretty unfortunate, good luck in life.

Nope. Those are mental gymnastics.  If you could only buy a product for $499, then it's changed to $399, that's a price cut.  You can play games and talk about unbundling, or replacing SKUs, but the fact remains, the stinking price was cut.  Unless we want to claim the new PS4 cut isn't a cut since Sony is "unbundling" it from unnecessary internal HW and more expensive components, which allowed them to CUT the price.  Sorry, I don't like to play those type of games.

does that new $399.00 sku offer the same value? does it have kinect? no? then no. not a price cut.

if it also had kinect then yes, price cut. but it didn't, then no. not a price cut.

prove that the $399.00 model/sku or now $349.00 model/sku provides the exact same experience that the $499.00/$449.00 model/sku offers right out of the box... you can't because the cheaper one has no kinect, while the more expensive one has kinect thus providing different values and a slightly different experience..because no kinect means no "xbox on" lololll!

ils411 said:
thismeintiel said:

does that new $399.00 sku offer the same value? does it have kinect? no? then no. not a price cut.

if it also had kinect then yes, price cut. but it didn't, then no. not a price cut.

prove that the $399.00 model/sku or now $349.00 model/sku provides the exact same experience that the $499.00/$449.00 model/sku offers right out of the box... you can't because the cheaper one has no kinect, while the more expensive one has kinect thus providing different values and a slightly different experience..because no kinect means no "xbox on" lololll!

The xbox one with kinect was the only option til they were forced to "unbundle" it to slash the price down to match the PS4's price. It's a pricecut because the kinect originally was meant to be a part of the xbox one and the feature was removed to drop the price. The PS3 had features removed to drop it's price. That was a price cut too.

thismeintiel said:
UltimateGamer1982 said:
thismeintiel said:

I wish Sales 2099 (or whatever the number behind his name was) were here!  He used to really piss people off saying Xbox 360 hadn't gotten a price drop in years.  In fact, they would sometimes raise the price!  Meanwhile PS3 was in sales free fall.

It wasn't exactly true but people would argue tooth and nail trying to prove him wrong.  It was fun to watch.  Now, I guess it's happening with Xbox One.  Anyway, a price cut or whatever you want to call it isn't necessarily bad.  If M$ isn't losing money on the deal, what's wrong with making it cheaper for people to buy one?  I mean even at launch last gen there were cheaper consoles (Xbox 360 Arcade and 20gb ps3).  Tons of different versions and bundles exist.  Options are good. Forcing Kinect on gamers--I can see what Microsoft was hoping for but it should have always been optional.

Aeolus451 said:
UltimateGamer1982 said:

BC was the only thing removed from the PS3. It still has usb ports and memory card slots. 

Not true.  Less USB ports and the card readers were eventually removed entirely.  I'll post a link to wikipedia that shows the difference skus and exactly what was cut from each version to lower the price: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_PlayStation_3_SKUs

I had an 80gb PS3 that broke.  I replaced it with a 500gb super slim.  The amount of features cut makes the latter feel like a cheap knockoff.  It only cost $200 with two games back in 2013 so I guess I can't complain too much....

Aeolus451 said:
ils411 said:

The xbox one with kinect was the only option til they were forced to "unbundle" it to slash the price down to match the PS4's price. It's a pricecut because the kinect originally was meant to be a part of the xbox one and the feature was removed to drop the price. The PS3 had features removed to drop it's price. That was a price cut too.

regardless of original intentions, the fact remains, the xbox one currently priced at $349.00 is not the same as the "launch" sku and doesn't have kinect.

The xbox one with kinect is still very much alive and available for purchase at $449.00. A $150.00 price cut would mean that the original xbox bundle price of $499.00 would now be $349.00  WITH Kinect. But that's not the case is it?

Again, to be really considered as a price cut, it should offer the same value as the original. no kinect, not a $100 price cut. palin and simple.

I'm guessing you're reffering to the original model that came in 60Gb and 20Gb with the PS2 inards to allow for some B/C. then tints.hey gutted it and came out with the 80Gb and 40Gb with no PS2 guts and no B/C and with lesser USB slots..

No, those are not price cuts. What they are are new models/new skus and new entry points. But would it sell the way it sold if it were advertised as such? Of course not, hence calling it a "price-cut" for marketing purposes.