By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What if 2016 is the Wii U's peak year? Here's how it could happen

This is the year for Wii U. Nintendo just needs to pump up the advertising and reprint some games this holiday.

Around the Network

Nope. 2014 was supposed to be the peak year and it had the biggest games the Wii U could ever have. 2016's line up even with a price cut won't move as many systems as MK8 and Smash did.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

If Nintendo wants a serious sales spike of ANY meaningful kind in Holiday 2015, they need to drop the fucking price, which they should have done last year when Smash was coming out, but didn't.

I agree that Wii U still has some life left in it, and I have personally (and stated so many times) been in the camp all along, that they should WAIT with their next console, and squeeze as much out of Wii U as they can. It would also be nice for those of us who actually bothering buying a Wii U, to get as many games for it (retail and digital) as we can, before we're expected to fork out cash for a whole new system. I've never been in any hurry to spend $300+ on a new system to replace Wii U, and mind you, there've been people calling for Nintendo to rush out a new console since 2013, yes, less than a year after the damn thing launched.

I personally hope Zelda is outright amazing, and totally lives up to the potential of what Miyamoto and Aonuma teased. I'm not going to hold my BREATH that it will 100% live up to that potential, but I will allow myself to hope that it lives up to at least SOME of it. Outside of that, I could give a fuck less about Pikmin 4 or Star Fox Zero, unless they actually fix/improve the experiences, IE make Pikmin more like it's SUPPOSED to be (like 1 & 2), and make Star Fox an actual fully new game, not just some rehash cash-in job.

Beyond that, I'm sure we could get some other cool games for Wii U before 2017 and the "NX" likely hits as well.

BUT, circling back around, if you're talking just about system sales, then they need to drop the price of the console THIS year, not next.

May would be a good launch time for Animal Crossing U: Happy Home.
There surely have to be a REAL Animal Crossing game on Wii U, with "hints" like Animal Crossing Plaza and AC amiibos!

It would be "easy" to make! AC:New Leaf HD + Happy Home Designer!

Sincerely doubt it. Too much wishful thinking sadly. People said the same about 2015 with "one title per month for the year" and then most of the big titles got delayed. I still maintain that this year is the last year Nintendo will be Wii U-focused. 2016, especially the later half, will mostly be promoting the next Nintendo console with a few Wii U titles announced for the remainder of it's production.

Around the Network
MoHasanie said:
Nope. 2014 was supposed to be the peak year and it had the biggest games the Wii U could ever have. 2016's line up even with a price cut won't move as many systems as MK8 and Smash did.

Totally agree. Things will be even more grim now that X1 and PS4 are picking up major steam, publishers are leaving PS3/X360 ports behind and price cuts are imminent. MK8 was the peak of the Wii U, I remember some people on here claiming that the Wii U had essentially secured 2nd place this gen just because of the spike in sales from MK8.. Yeah..

2013 could easily be bigger than 2015 in Japan, the 2013 holiday season was big, much bigger than 2014. 2015 is still behind 2013 though it is catching up slowly, matching the holiday will be difficult and very far from a sure thing like you say. Perhaps a price cut could put things ahead for 2015 though.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Don't think so, unless there is a price drop, it most likely won't be the best

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

2013 or 2014 was the Wii U's peak year. Next year, with hype with whatever the heck the NX is, will definitely overshadow any success the Wii U might have gained otherwise. Plus next year is going to be full of huge games, I doubt any of the Wii U's line up for next year, excluding Zelda U, will get much time to shine.