By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Knowing the big titles coming next year, do you still think the NX will be coming out holiday 2016?

Will the NX launch 2016?

Yes 232 40.07%

No 286 49.40%

See Results 61 10.54%

Total:579
Jumpin said:

Zelda and Pikmin are probably NX games. If Pikmin 4 is coming out on a system this generation, it won't be Wii U, it'll be 3DS.

NX will be unveiled in January and released in November 2016.

I think February, at latest March. November for release is spot on.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
Pavolink said:
Jumpin said:

Zelda and Pikmin are probably NX games. If Pikmin 4 is coming out on a system this generation, it won't be Wii U, it'll be 3DS.

NX will be unveiled in January and released in November 2016.

I think February, at latest March. November for release is spot on.

Yeah I think about the same. The fiscal year will be ending so they can unveil around that time without worrying too much about damage to weak Wii U/3DS sales, at least it'll be past the fiscal year. 

People needs to understand this and I can guarantee you: Nintendo has moved from the Wii U. Until the NX arrives, you won't see many other big games, like a Prime or a 3D Mario game. A new Smash, a new Splatoon, a new Mario Maker. The sooner they release NX, the better for us.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Pavolink said:
People needs to understand this and I can guarantee you: Nintendo has moved from the Wii U. Until the NX arrives, you won't see many other big games, like a Prime or a 3D Mario game. A new Smash, a new Splatoon, a new Mario Maker. The sooner they release NX, the better for us.

It would be nothing new anyway, Nintendo generally moves on from their home consoles after the 4th year anyway in terms of support from their big teams.

What's left is usually support from outsourced studios, while Nintendo's main teams shift focus to the coming generation.  

GameCube post-2004 to 2006:

Nothing from EAD, Retro, Intelligent Systems, Smash team, etc. except Twilight Princess which was repositioned as a Wii launch title, a Fire Emblem game, and a Donkey Kong bongo spin-off. Nintendo's big internal teams clearly moved on to the Nintendo DS and Wii development after 2004. 

Wii post-2010 to 2012:

Very weak support, Kirby's: Return to Dreamland and Skyward Sword. Even Xenoblade was completed in 2010, NOA just didn't want to release and only reneged after being forced into by an angry petetion. Nintendo's lead teams clearly moved on to Nintendo 3DS and then Wii U after 2010. 

Not sure why people are so hellbent on having the equivalent "token shitty last year" for Wii U. All people did was complain during the last years of the GameCube and Wii anyway, so why not just skip this "shit phase" entirely and move on?

The Metroid designer himself even already said it ... it's too late now to make a Metroid game for the Wii U, it would have to be for the NX. The types of things you would get for the Wii U in 2015/2016 will be second rate, outsourced software like a Mario Golf U, you're not going to get a new 3D Mario, Metroid, Animal Crossing, or anything like that. 

I'm with you -- the sooner we get NX, the sooner we get the "real" next 3D Mario, Splatoon 2, Animal Crossing, Smash Bros., Mario Kart 9, Metroid, because these games are not coming to Wii U. At best you're going to get maybe a throw in like Pikmin 4, which just adds new content to the Pikmin 3 engine. 

Soundwave said:
Miyamotoo said:

Actually Nintendo is making money on Wii U on hardware itself from last year, not to mention software. But that doesn't mean that Nintendo is satisfied with Wii U sales and profit and that they will not release new hardware next year.

We actually don't know this for a fact, people have mistranslated and misconstrued this statement greatly. It probably is by now (one would hope a nearly 4 year old piece of tech is profitable), but we don't know for sure. 

In any case, Nintendo is in a bad position here either way. 2016 launch is still quite late, but 2017 would be ridiculously late. Like with a 2017 release, what exactly is it supposed to be competing with? PS4/XB1? No chance, the lead those systems will have will be way too large. PS5/XB2 then? Are they willing to skip to such high end tech when they can barely support an XB360/PS3 level system right now?

Neither is a good situation. They're likely walking into a slaughter against the PS4 on the console side, which they're probably used to by now, but its compuonded by a not good situation with with the 3DS. 

The 3DS ... I mean why does not get any attention? The 3DS is the only hardware Nintendo has that's selling half way decent, but it's not going to make it until 2017 without slumping to incredibly low levels (you're probably talking sub-5 million shipments, which would be the lowest handheld shipment in Nintendo's history). 

Nintendo is in a very bad spot here honestly, the fuck ups with the Wii U and the decline of the traditional handheld market has put them in a bad position now. 

If we look at how many people owned consoles last gen, just per system we see the lowest sales are still around the 80 million mark, and most of those sales for PS3 were made in the last 3 years of its life cycle. I don't see how with a big enough launch it couldn't at least easily surpass 20 million, and with the right innovation much much more.

Around the Network
Pavolink said:

It still has its BIGGEST game to release. 

bigtakilla said:
Soundwave said:

We actually don't know this for a fact, people have mistranslated and misconstrued this statement greatly. It probably is by now (one would hope a nearly 4 year old piece of tech is profitable), but we don't know for sure. 

In any case, Nintendo is in a bad position here either way. 2016 launch is still quite late, but 2017 would be ridiculously late. Like with a 2017 release, what exactly is it supposed to be competing with? PS4/XB1? No chance, the lead those systems will have will be way too large. PS5/XB2 then? Are they willing to skip to such high end tech when they can barely support an XB360/PS3 level system right now?

Neither is a good situation. They're likely walking into a slaughter against the PS4 on the console side, which they're probably used to by now, but its compuonded by a not good situation with with the 3DS. 

The 3DS ... I mean why does not get any attention? The 3DS is the only hardware Nintendo has that's selling half way decent, but it's not going to make it until 2017 without slumping to incredibly low levels (you're probably talking sub-5 million shipments, which would be the lowest handheld shipment in Nintendo's history). 

Nintendo is in a very bad spot here honestly, the fuck ups with the Wii U and the decline of the traditional handheld market has put them in a bad position now. 

If we look at how many people owned consoles last gen, just per system we see the lowest sales are still around the 80 million mark, and most of those sales for PS3 were made in the last 3 years of its life cycle. I don't see how with a big enough launch it couldn't at least easily surpass 20 million, and with the right innovation much much more.

Is a userbase of 20 million really anything to be proud of? I mean if that's their roof, then really they're just better off making one device that can play on the TV and is a portable too. It would take until at least 2019-2020 to get to that 20 million as well, by which time the next-next gen will be in full swing. 

bigtakilla said:
Pavolink said:

Sorry but Mario Kart 8 came out a long time ago. Zelda is not actually (despite all the hooting and hollering on message boards) one of Nintendo's top 3 selling franchises. Hasn't been for a long time either. 

It's quite likely if Zelda U if Wii U only it will be the lowest selling entry in the franchise. Which will probably sting because it's likely also the most expensive Zelda game ever made (HD graphics with that scope). 

It would easily sell 2x as much if it got the Twilight Princess treatment and could be a dual launch title for the NX. But hey, lets cripple its sales because some petty kids need to have it be exclusive and need to lock out probably 60% of its potential audience. That's a smart way to do business. 

Soundwave said:
bigtakilla said:

Sorry but Mario Kart 8 came out a long time ago. Zelda is not actually (despite all the hooting and hollering on message boards) one of Nintendo's top 3 selling franchises. Hasn't been for a long time either. 

It's quite likely if Zelda U if Wii U only it will be the lowest selling entry in the franchise. Which will probably sting because it's likely also the most expensive Zelda game ever made (HD graphics with that scope). 

This is mainly why I think it will be released on both the NX and the Wii U.

Mr.GameCrazy said:
Soundwave said:

This is mainly why I think it will be released on both the NX and the Wii U.

Yup. It'll be out next November right next to the NX. Hopefully the NX version is 1080P.