By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Double Standards In The Gaming Industry. Which Ones Do You Hate/Find Suitable?

KingdomHeartsFan said:
Johnw1104 said:

I never got this complaint. It's not a massive, game-altering dlc that's an absolute must buy like many games where $40+ map packs are a necessity for the multiplayer seen. It's for people who like the little figurines and can get a little extra out of many games by having them.

If you've no interest then don't get them, the games are fine without them. It's little different than the usual little dlc's that add something trivial to the game, excepting that you also get a fun little figurine to go with it that can be used in many games.

I'm trying real hard to think of a time where the game felt incomplete without amiibo and I can't come up with much... I'd say the closest it's come is Mario Party 10, though the amiibo mode wasn't all that great.

I still think they ought to make a game or two meant exclusively for amiibo, so as to give the amiibo even more use and those without them know not to bother getting the game.

Okay so developers can lock everything behind DLC as long as its not "absolute must buy."  This is the double standard I'm talking about, whenever other publishers like EA or Ubisoft did any kind of day 1 DLC that was ripped from the game ppl lost their shit, now Nintendos allowed to do it.  Locking things like an AI partner behind day 1 $13 DLC is as shitty as it comes.

I think people are far too critical of DLC; it can add a good deal to the game and provides work for otherwise superfluous employees in between major projects. I get just about everything Paradox puts out. Again, though, this isn't a very fair comparison.

This is not some day 1 expansion to the game or a "buy this season pass, but you still won't get access to all the DLC" trick that more than doubles the original cost; in fact, they often do almost nothing at all outside of a select few games like Super Smash Bros. They're fun little figurines that some people like to collect that generally add something trivial to the game, and they can be used across multiple games. They've walked that line between neat, physical toy that adds a small something to multiple games and not making them too important so as to restrict important content about as well as they can.

Seriously, point me to some games that you feel were harmed by the existence of amiibo. I can't think of any.

Around the Network
Johnw1104 said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

Okay so developers can lock everything behind DLC as long as its not "absolute must buy."  This is the double standard I'm talking about, whenever other publishers like EA or Ubisoft did any kind of day 1 DLC that was ripped from the game ppl lost their shit, now Nintendos allowed to do it.  Locking things like an AI partner behind day 1 $13 DLC is as shitty as it comes.

I think people are far too critical of DLC; it can add a good deal to the game and provides work for otherwise superfluous employees in between major projects. I get just about everything Paradox puts out. Again, though, this isn't a very fair comparison.

This is not some day 1 expansion to the game or a "buy this season pass, but you still won't get access to all the DLC" trick that more than doubles the original cost; in fact, they often do almost nothing at all outside of a select few games like Super Smash Bros. They're fun little figurines that some people like to collect that generally add something trivial to the game, and they can be used across multiple games. They've walked that line between neat, physical toy that adds a small something to multiple games and not making them too important so as to restrict important content about as well as they can.

Seriously, point me to some games that you feel were harmed by the existence of amiibo. I can't think of any.

I'm quite a Nintendo fan, but I do think Splatoon was partially harmed by existence of amiibo.

Other games are fine. Amiibo Ai for Smash turned out to be modified version of existing CPU, and Mario Kart 8 costume feels pretty pointless (Excluding Captain Falcon, that is.)

Johnw1104 said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

I did in my last point.  Unlocking a AI companion in Yoshie Wolly World that Nintendo said themselves helped to expand the gameplay.  Again this is besides the point, most day 1 DLCs don't harm the games that much but people still jumped down the publishers throats, which they are not doing to Nintendo.  Defending this really makes my point about the double standard.

Darc Requiem said:
It boggles my mind how WB doesn't get the level of hate that EA, Ubisoft, or Activision gets. They have some of the worst DLC practices in the industries and a track record of releasing broken games for PC. The MKX and Arkham Knight ports being the most recent examples.

They need to own more properties. Which is why EA affects more people. Count them all up. VS WB. More people to piss off. Louder hate voice.

archer9234 said:
Darc Requiem said:
It boggles my mind how WB doesn't get the level of hate that EA, Ubisoft, or Activision gets. They have some of the worst DLC practices in the industries and a track record of releasing broken games for PC. The MKX and Arkham Knight ports being the most recent examples.

They need to own more properties. Which is why EA affects more people. Count them all up. VS WB. More people to piss off. Louder hate voice.

They own DC comics. 

Around the Network
alternine said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

Amiibo DLC charging out the ass for DLC that isn't worth $13 and forcing you to buy a useless doll.  Somehow its okay to overcharge for DLC as long as its locked behind a doll.

Definitely this.

Both of you must have a punishment for stealing my lines. But yeah, DLC and microtransactions and you know which games and what kind of DLC I'm talking about.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

fleischr said:
I don't get the outrage over tiered Preorder bonuses.
It's a reward publishers give you all in exchange for granting them working capital for marketing and development of the title. They're really just the same as Kickstarter rewards, except cheaper and with greater promise for a real game by the end.

Are they rewards? How do you know? Would these features not be in the final game if the tier rewards didnt exist? That is what you need to ask yourself. 

Besides, if that goes through you can already see WB witholding even more fighters behind the pre-order of their next fighter. And you know this will eventually escalate to half the game behind the tier wall etc. Why? Because theres no such a convenient thing as a reward. The content is developed and later ransomed to extort money from you. Be it the pre-order or the day 1 DLC.

huiii said:
The hate on EA, i don't think they are muh worse/better than the oher big publishers.

The other is 1st party games >>>> 3rd party. This attitude seems especially common among the nintendo crowd.

Yes they are much worse, the difference to the other is actually that they make better games too. And yes first party games are better they usually take the most advantage of the hardware

Roronaa_chan said:
A recent example would be in the recent VGC article where some people seem to think (hope would be more accurate) that Wii tracking ahead of PS4 means PS4 won't outsell it, even though PS4 is tracking ahead of consoles that outsold the Wii, lol.

very true i remember i got like 10 thumbsdown for saying that its a 250$ vs 400$ comparison. Its a fact that the PS4 is on the same route like the PS2 in terms of sales or more, so it means it will eventually outsell the wii espacially given that the wii was for 8 years on the market while the PS2 was 6 years

Ruler said:
Roronaa_chan said:
A recent example would be in the recent VGC article where some people seem to think (hope would be more accurate) that Wii tracking ahead of PS4 means PS4 won't outsell it, even though PS4 is tracking ahead of consoles that outsold the Wii, lol.

very true i remember i got like 10 thumbsdown for saying that its a 250$ vs 400$ comparison. Its a fact that the PS4 is on the same route like the PS2 in terms of sales or more, so it means it will eventually outsell the wii espacially given that the wii was for 8 years on the market while the PS2 was 6 years

The PS2 was discontinued over 12 years after it released. The Wii hasn't even been out for 9 years yet.