By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What If The NX Console Is Portable Too?

asqarkabab said:
It will be a hybrid console with handheld and console variabt that can connect with each other

I could see both. 

Lets assume 70 GFLOPS/watt

NX Mobile Console (aka: the Hybrid) - at just a shade over 10 watts power consumption it would need a large battery. The good news is batteries are pretty darn cheap these days. The iPad Air battery is $12 at manufacturing cost at 32 wH, a battery that size could power a mobile console for about 3 hours. Make it a $18 battery with 50% more size, and you got about 4.5+ hours of play ... about the same that a modern 3DS gives you. 

Not bad. 

Japan would probably love it and it could clock in at about 600 GFLOPS away from the power outlet, good enough I would think to have ports of basically all/most third party titles with some effects scaled back at 720p. 

Mobile tech is really fascinating to me, they can get so much power into a small evelope today and the way in which Nintendo could scale that up and down would be really interesting. 

Making a "mobile console" and a "home console" would also fit with what Mr. Iwata said about Japan and the West having different tastes in how they enjoy their games hardware wise, and three SKUs would also fit with Mr. Iwata saying a unified platform could open the door to more than just 2 Nintendo systems as has been the norm in the past. 

Around the Network

So you saying that we could have standard portable and home console on that we can attach LCD screen!?

Doesn't see it, I think its much logical handheld that can be connect to a home console, dock or terminal which we can connect to TV and we have whole home console experience. I don't see any screen addon.

Soundwave said:

I guess another way of doing it is what if Nintendo made a different console for different regional tastes?

I'm going say Nintendo chooses to be a little bold and uses AMD's 14nm FinFET process which is supposed to be firing on all cylinders by next year. So lets assume 70 GFLOPS/watt.

NX Pocket Handheld - 350 GFLOP. 960x540 4.88-inch LCD screen. $199.99. Standard Nintendo option, good for kids, people who want a DS/3DS successor. 3GB RAM. Cheap screen but does the job. 

NX Mobile Console (Japan) - 600 GFLOP (on battery); 900 GFLOP (plugged in). New Console Concept. Has a 1280x720 7-inch LCD screen. Can stream wirelessly to the TV via HDMI receiver (sold separately). Form factor may look like a Wii U controller or maybe a Surface tablet (kickstand display, play with controller). Not designed for pockets, but easy enough to take in a bag or carry from room to room. 6GB RAM. - $299.99 MSRP

NX Home Console (US/EU Markets) - 2TFLOP console (@28 watts), 1TB internal HDD, your standard Nintendo console. Games run at the full 1080P resolution for TV. 8GB RAM. About the size of the OG Wii (no disc drive). $299.99 MSRP.

All three versions could be sold in all markets of course, just the focus in the US would be the home console, in Japan the mobile console is the console made for Japanese tastes, and you have the standard Nintendo portable option for the typical kid market, budget parent, and the gamer who values portability/pocket-ability.

The only thing is I don't think the NX Pocket would be able to run all games (though at 350GFLOPS for only 540p render is pretty beastly still), but it would be able to run most third party games with scaled down effects and probably all Nintendo games at the lowered resolution, plus virtual console games and perhaps Android app ports. Ideal for getting kids with budget strict parents into the NX ecosystem and playing Splatoon 2/Mario Maker 2.0/Dragon Quest XI, then later on they can start bugging mom/dad for one of the console versions. 

I am of the opinion that the next handheld, dual-screened and with 3D, or not, should be more powerful than Wii U. That said, I'm thinking you'll get rid of those, no?

The problem I see with your set-up is the mobile console. The GamePad runs 6 hours max with the default battery at 540p, and doesn't really have to do the heavy lifting. That, and the different power settings when plugged in or not. In theory, that is a great idea, but devs will most likely end up targeting the 600 GFLOP part. This is Japan we're talking about.

I have a different approach in mind, however. 2016: Handheld, 2017: Console.

In my opinion, a slider would do well, especially if the top screen is capacitive, and the device can be utilized as a phone.

There should be multiple variants, too. Base price should be $179 (4.3" screen), and all devices should have equal footing when it comes to power and screen resolution. Add $50 for a bigger screen (5.3") and better battery life. Add another $60 to bump up the storage from 8 to 32GB, add phone hardware and 1GB RAM (for multitasking), have a better (set of) camera(s), and switch from a clamshell to a slider layout. All devices are more powerful than Wii U, with two screens and the face-tracking 3D tech. (top: 1920*540px, bottom: 720*540px). Why the power? To milk one more year out of the Wii U and theoretically encourage at least some development there. Why the lay-out and 3D? To take advantage of backwards compatibility to 3(DS) and also take away devs interested in fanservice. Yum.

That's for the handheld.

The reason it launches a year earlier is to give the console breathing room, would you really spend, say, $600 a year in hardware alone? Well, that and it can be utilized as a controller for the platform.

The standard console needs to come in at $290 max (250GB), for the base price, with the Pro controller or some improved Wiimote+nunchuck. Add $70 and you can have either 1TB storage, or an improved GamePad (720p display). Add $110 instead, and you can have both. Or, add $200 for the ultimate bundle: 1TB console + deluxe XL hardware unit.

All I ask from it is for it to be able to handle streaming 720p to a TV and to four controllers at once, that was a big flaw of the Wii U to me.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

TheWPCTraveler said:
Soundwave said:

I guess another way of doing it is what if Nintendo made a different console for different regional tastes?

I'm going say Nintendo chooses to be a little bold and uses AMD's 14nm FinFET process which is supposed to be firing on all cylinders by next year. So lets assume 70 GFLOPS/watt.

NX Pocket Handheld - 350 GFLOP. 960x540 4.88-inch LCD screen. $199.99. Standard Nintendo option, good for kids, people who want a DS/3DS successor. 3GB RAM. Cheap screen but does the job. 

NX Mobile Console (Japan) - 600 GFLOP (on battery); 900 GFLOP (plugged in). New Console Concept. Has a 1280x720 7-inch LCD screen. Can stream wirelessly to the TV via HDMI receiver (sold separately). Form factor may look like a Wii U controller or maybe a Surface tablet (kickstand display, play with controller). Not designed for pockets, but easy enough to take in a bag or carry from room to room. 6GB RAM. - $299.99 MSRP

NX Home Console (US/EU Markets) - 2TFLOP console (@28 watts), 1TB internal HDD, your standard Nintendo console. Games run at the full 1080P resolution for TV. 8GB RAM. About the size of the OG Wii (no disc drive). $299.99 MSRP.

All three versions could be sold in all markets of course, just the focus in the US would be the home console, in Japan the mobile console is the console made for Japanese tastes, and you have the standard Nintendo portable option for the typical kid market, budget parent, and the gamer who values portability/pocket-ability.

The only thing is I don't think the NX Pocket would be able to run all games (though at 350GFLOPS for only 540p render is pretty beastly still), but it would be able to run most third party games with scaled down effects and probably all Nintendo games at the lowered resolution, plus virtual console games and perhaps Android app ports. Ideal for getting kids with budget strict parents into the NX ecosystem and playing Splatoon 2/Mario Maker 2.0/Dragon Quest XI, then later on they can start bugging mom/dad for one of the console versions. 

I am of the opinion that the next handheld, dual-screened and with 3D, or not, should be more powerful than Wii U. That said, I'm thinking you'll get rid of those, no?

The problem I see with your set-up is the mobile console. The GamePad runs 6 hours max with the default battery at 540p, and doesn't really have to do the heavy lifting. That, and the different power settings when plugged in or not. In theory, that is a great idea, but devs will most likely end up targeting the 600 GFLOP part. This is Japan we're talking about.

In my opinion, a slider would do well, especially if the top screen is capacitive, and the device can be utilized as a phone.

There should be multiple variants, too. Base price should be $179 (4.3" screen), and all devices should have equal footing when it comes to power and screen resolution. Add $50 for a bigger screen (5.3") and better battery life. Add another $60 to bump up the storage from 8 to 32GB, add phone hardware and 1GB RAM (for multitasking), have a better (set of) camera(s), and switch from a clamshell to a slider layout. All devices are more powerful than Wii U, with two screens and the face-tracking 3D tech. (top: 1920*540px, bottom: 720*540px). Why the power? To milk one more year out of the Wii U and theoretically encourage at least some development there. Why the lay-out and 3D? To take advantage of backwards compatibility to 3(DS) and also take away devs interested in fanservice. Yum.

That's for the handheld.

The reason it launches a year earlier is to give the console breathing room, would you really spend, say, $600 a year in hardware alone? Well, that and it can be utilized as a controller for the platform.

The standard console needs to come in at $290 max (250GB), for the base price, with the Pro controller or some improved Wiimote+nunchuck. Add $70 and you can have either 1TB storage, or an improved GamePad (720p display). Add $110 instead, and you can have both. Or, add $200 for the ultimate bundle: 1TB console + deluxe XL hardware unit.

All I ask from it is for it to be able to handle streaming 720p to a TV and to four controllers at once, that was a big flaw of the Wii U to me.

Something kinda has to give to have an affordable handheld that's still powerful, but if you weigh yourself down with dual-screen and 3D screen ... you get into trouble. One thing I have thought about though is what if the screen could twist or even detach and be repositioned vertically just for backwards compatibility. Basically this idea:

I kinda view the NX Pocket as being something really just to get kids into the NX ecosystem. Once you get them there, then hopefully they're more apt to choose the NX console over a Sony/MS console, becuase they already have games for the NX to play so going to NX home or mobile console is a no-brainer for them. 

But you can kinda skimp on some features for the NX Pocket. 

I actually did some research for the battery tech for the mobile console. I'm assuming an $18 battery (manufacturing cost). That's a huge battery it would be 1.5x the iPad Air battery, which has 32 wH but times 1.5x that goes to 48 wH. At 70 GFLOPS/watt we get 600 GFLOPS at 7.5 watts, add in 2 watts for the display (high brightness) and 0.5 watts for the WiFi signal. That's 10 watts, that means with a 48 wH battery, you're looking at 4.8 hours of gameplay ... about the same as a 3DS. Not bad, right?

Just don't expect this thing to be nearly as thin as an iPad Air or anything like that and Nintendo would have to sell it at cost to start with, but that's ok. It could be the size of the Wii U tablet, or it could be more along the size of a Surface Pro tablet or something or perhaps a different type of form factor (like that PC Engine LT). 

The home console can then be something pretty built almost strictly for the US market/older gamers. You have the kids and "I just want to play Mario and Animal Crossing and not pay a lot of money" market covered with the pocket NX. You have a fresh/different take on the console concept geared towards Japan and a really high end portable console which seperates Nintendo from all the tablet/smartphone makers and even the PS4/XB1 too (they're not portable, they can't stream to a TV, you can't take them anywhere) covered. 

So the console then doesn't really have to be all things to all people (which is part of what's gotten Nintendo into trouble, they try to make everyone happy, but they have to then compromise on a million things and no one ends up happy). Even still though at 2 TFLOPS, at 70 GFLOPS/watt that's still only 28 watts! That's less than the Wii U. I think Nintendo would be very happy with that. They really need to jump on that 14nm AMD FinFet process like crazy. It's perfect for them. 

Interesting idea, though considering what is required to be done. I don't really see it happening.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Around the Network
Mr.Playstation said:
Interesting idea, though considering what is required to be done. I don't really see it happening.

I don't think it'd be that difficult to be honest. They'd just have to program games to have a "low", "medium", and "high" graphics settings. 

But every PC developer has to do that, and there are hundreds (thousands?) of PC third party games every year, and for Nintendo it would sure beat having to make two entirely seperate versions of Smash Bros. or Mario 3D Land for 2 years ... then spending another 2 years making Mario 3D World. 

It's a change, but change at this point is good. Because the status quo sure as heck is not working for Nintendo, so we shouldn't neccessarily assume different is bad. The worst possible thing they could do is the same thing they did with Wii U and 3DS (or just a small tweaked version of that). 

Neh, doubt it.

Why not have a mini Gampad sorta thing that can perfectly stream games on the go from the actual console, while this one is in a low-battery mode? Is that even possible? 'Cause that's honest to god the only cool gimmick that Ninty could have left.

I'm now filled with determination.

I think the key to NX if it's going to have any success is it must become an ecosystem that works for everyone ... like STEAM does. 

Nintendo's problem right now if you boil it down is there are three audiences (a Triforce if you will, lol) that they cannot ignore, but making one hardware that makes everyone happy is futile. So what's the solution? A scalable platform (NX) that can address all of Nintendo's needs and complete the Triforce:

1.) Kids/family crowd - Ah yes, there's nothing like being 8 years old, getting your first Nintendo and playing Mario is there? Nintendo always must have an eye on this market. It's in their DNA. 

PROBLEMS: Hardware has to be cheap for parents to bite, and kids prefer the portable/bite-size form factor.

2.) Japan - Nintendo can't let go of Japan because well they're a very Japanese company. They love Japan and can't just let the console business die there. But Japan doesn't love consoles anymore. Solution? Something that merges the home console and portable concept. 

PROBLEMS: Japan needs something new, a "hybrid" system that can play really hardcore games but still be portable could be the solution. At minimum it could stomp out the issue of the PS4 in Japan for Nintendo, with the Japanese market so frail, Nintendo needs to hold as much of it under their umbrella as possible, so the PS4 suddenly get lots of Japanese games and picking up sales is not good for Nintendo. NX Mobile Console could put a real dent in that. 

3.) The American/Western Gamer - Try as they might, Nintendo still can't just forsake the American gamer. But American gaming is increasingly become more and more about the home console for any type of game that involves buttons. The home console reigns supreme here so it's very difficult for Nintendo to accept just leaving this huge section of the market even despite their lack of success with it lately. 

PROBLEMS: You cannot make a "kiddie console" or a "cheapo" console for the US/EU markets. They will not accept it. And the traditional handheld is waning in the US/EU very fast. Also Western developers simply won't support underpowered systems in any serious way. We can bang our head against the wall about that all we want, but it's not changing, and no/little Western support, means no/little chance of success in the West. 

In a lot of ways a unified platform (NX) can solve all of these problems, because as Mr. Iwata said, the number of form factors can increase and still have good game support by virtue of shared games . NX Pocket (for kids/budget portable players). NX Mobile Console (for Japan/new hardware concept). NX Home Console (for US/EU). Of course people from any market are free to enjoy which ever version suits their needs/budget best. 

TheWPCTraveler said:

That's for the handheld.

lol, the 3ds sucessor will be at most, half as powerfull as wii u (around 250-300 gflops).