By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Kentucky Clerk Denies Marriage Licenses | Update: Clerk Freed w/Warning!

Should Someone's Religious Beliefs Circumvent Another's Legal Rights

Yes 47 14.33%

No 251 76.52%

See Results 30 9.15%

Total:328

I see this as someone who's not doing the job they're payed for. If her employers are not satisfied with her, they should just fire her.

But calling out for her to be arrested for doing her job poorly is just as bad and sad.

Around the Network
Torillian said:
Such a weird stance she has taken on this. Her convictions won't allow her to do her job, but she doesn't quit because......? Part of taking a stance you believe in is dealing with the consequences when they arise, and being fired when you refuse to do your job, or going to jail when you're in contempt of court are pretty standard results.

Thats a very interesting way of putting it.  Actions and consequences. 

HoloDust said:
I see this as someone who's not doing the job they're payed for. If her employers are not satisfied with her, they should just fire her.

But calling out for her to be arrested for doing her job poorly is just as bad and sad.

They can't fire her, otherwise she would have been fired by now.

EDIT: But they can't fire her, this was really the only option right now. And she's not "doing her job poorly" she's choosing not to do het job at all. Which under normal circumstances, she would be fired, but you can't fire an elected official so this was really the only option right now.

kiop900 said:
HoloDust said:

I think they probably could have, but it would result in a protracted legal battle over being fired via religious discrimination.  Much better and easier on the State to let the SCOTUS ruling deal with it.

She was jailed? Good.

Around the Network
HoloDust said:

Do you know why she was arrested?  She went to the courts (all of the way to the supreme court) and petitioned them to enforce a stay of execution so she would not have to do her job as assigned.  Her job as assigned is to verity that people are lawfully able to wed. And to provide them with a license.  She didn't want gay couples to have access to this right.  The courts denied her request and ordered her to comply with the federal law and issue the licenses according to the law.  She refused this court order.  That is what it means to be in contempt of court.   Therefore they arrested her.  She simply does not get to pick an choose who gets the right to marry because she isn't the law. 

mornelithe said:
kiop900 said:
HoloDust said:

I think they probably could have, but it would result in a protracted legal battle over being fired via religious discrimination.  Much better and easier on the State to let the SCOTUS ruling deal with it.

You can't fire an elected official, the same way you can't just fire the President or a member of congress.

I really doubt se is religous if she married for friken people!
You bring shame to my state woman!

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3

This is a publicity stunt plain and simple. This woman is no moralist, She's an opportunist.

Just watch and see. She will leverage her new found fame into millions in donor support dollars, paid political support 'lectures', books, youtube channel advertising, and what ever else her greedy heart can come up with.

Her intention is to make $ and she's playing it just right. Prob will never work another honest day in her life after this.

I am very happy for this turn of events. Hopefully she will learn the joys of gay sex very soon.