By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Interesting Take on the Memory Card Slot for NX

spemanig said:
Miyamotoo said:
spemanig said:
Miyamotoo said:

Based on that they will fix Wii U mistakes, affordable console with good marketing and better gimmick or "new concept of playing".

When you say wider audience, what do you mean? The Wii U was targeting kids, casuals, and core gamers. What's wider than that? Or do you mean that they will successfully capture a wider audience than what the Wii U captured, in which case I don't think that any of what you just mentioned, by itself, will do that much to improve the NX over the Wii U audience wise.

Like, good marketing is obvious, but good marketing at who? Better gimmick as in what? Another hardware gimmick, because that's not happening. At least nothing as drastic as the gamepad and the Wii Remote. I think the new system will have a new gimmick that will help make it a success, but it will be a firmware gimmick, selling the idea of a family of systems and the membership program rather than a specific hardware quirk.

If Nintendo wants a wider content audience, though, they need a wider array of exclusive content. I always say this, the best Nintendo is like Apple with hardware and firmware, and like Disney with software and multimedia presence. They'll have the Apple part down with the NX, but my worry is that they will be slow to be like Disney. On the multimedia side, they are doing everything I've said they should. They have announced a theme park, and they are in talks with various companies with various deal involving their IP in TV and movies. That's all great. What's not great is how they handle their software. Not the quality, but the variety. It's the equivilant of if Disney only made their animated movies and nothing else. They have ABC, they have Marvel, they have Star Wars. They have Pirates. Disney can appeal to multible demographics with all those acquisitions. They were big before, but are a monolithe now. Nintendo needs to do the same things.

I'll say it again, they either need to buy Capcom outright, or they need to purchase a controlling stake in them/sign a major exclusivity deal with them for games like with the Capcom Five, only this time with bigger IP and this time actually go through with it 100%. That handles the Marvel aspect. They need to invest in some major western studios. Either build their own like they did with Retro or buy a bunch like Square did with Eidos. They will never be able to retain good third party support if their isn't an audience on NX willing to buy the types of games that 3rd parties make, and Nintendo doesn't provide any incentive for anyone who likes those types of games to play on Nintendo platforms. Sony does with its IP and Microsoft does with its IP. It's high time Nintendo does the same. Square and Eidos are the literal ideal situation for Nintendo to replicate. Buy a full blown studio like that and get them to make first party western IP like Eidos does with Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, Hitman, and Thief.

Nintendo as the Apple and the Disney of video games would make them the force. Only one makes them merely a force. Far less potential to dominate. I also think it would be wise to open Nintendo World Stores in malls across the world, not just NYC, as that would severely cut dependance on retailers, but that's for another day.

And yet Nintendo largely failed in all that, because Wii U isn't affordable, had very bad marketing and certainly not good gimmick or "new concept of playing".

I agree. They did fail at all that. Lol, I was agreeing with you, now answer the questions I asked, please.

My point is that with NX they will fix that and console will be much more appealing for target audience than Wii U was.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
Nautilus said:

It wont be all digital.Nintendo is an innovative company, but that would be just a dumb move.It will fracture its fan base, and lose more support.We dont know the whole story, we are missing something that nintendo is not sharing.

No, we aren't. Nintendo is looking at the modern era, where everything but consoles has a massively successful all digital product, and are following the obvious improvements that would bring. We do know the full story. Nintendo has wanted to go digital since the launch of the Wii U with the DDP. This is their hard turn in that direction.

You are way overestimating the amont of people that want to buy digital only. There are not that many.

Soundwave said:

Capcom has like two franchises that sell anything, Resident Evil and Monster Hunter, and Nintendo already has one of them basically exclusive (Monster Hunter), and they've had Resident Evil exclusive in the past and it did nothing for them. 

Disney/Marvel are successful because they have very valuable IP that appeal to the West first and foremost. 

Nintendo has no interest in being a giant media conglomerate anyway. They are a very conservative Kyoto-based company (meaning they are conservative even by Japanese standards). Nintendo *likes* being a small, tightly controlled company by its board of directors, one that has a very insular culture. The staff at NOA probably have to ask permission from Japan to take a shit. 

What I think might be more realistic is maybe going after key available movie or product licenses that are just sitting around not being used. That means maybe you look at the James Bond or Mission: Impossible IP for a game series. GoldenEye brought Nintendo a lot more adult/teenagers who didn't give a crap about Mario/Pikachu but that's partly why the N64 sold about the same as the SNES in the West at least (too bad the Japanese side of Nintendo didn't keep up their end of the bargain and the system did terribly in Japan). You need to find character IP that are underused and time less, Marvel's characters are like that, they were a goldmine that no one was using for a long time. 

Retail is a bad idea too (see Sony shutting down the Sony stores). 

Also the iPhone very much was a blue ocean product, there was no full touchscreen phone like that before the iPhone that worked like that and every smartphone since then basically has copied the iPhone layout. Before that, the popular "high end" phone meant the flip-out Motorola Razr or if you were a business type the Blackberry with a physical keyboard. But those types of things come around very, very rarely, iPhone is bigger than just that moniker, it's a product that's literally changed the world and propelled Apple into being the most profitable company in the world. 

I think that Devil May Cry, Mega Man, Street Fighter, etc are all big important franchises with huge potential to make money as well. Iron Man wasn't big until Disney came in. Neither was Thor and barely Captain America. Now they are as mainstream as Superman and Batman. Nintendo could do the same thing in a Capcom partnership. It only works in bulk, though. Just one franchise won't do it. They need bulk and they need consistancy. Not just Monster Hunter. Monster Hunter NX and a Resident Evil and a well produced modern Mega Man and a Devil May Cry and Nintendo Vs. Capcom. The stregnth comes from the numbers as well as the quality.

And each of then can, very much, appeal in the west. All of them, aside from Monster Hunter, already have, and Monster Hunter is ripe for its break though here. And they are timeless. They just haven't been utilized very well in the modern era. I think that can change with the right direction. (I also don't think Capcom needs Nintendo to bring these franchises back to major relevancy, but I think both companies could benefit from an organized partnership where that is a goal) I've mentioned before five game ideas where, if Nintendo entered a major exclusivity deal with Capcom, they could give Nintendo big exclusives while giving this franchises the funding, the advertising focus, and the polish to bring them a relevancy they simply wouldn't get as multiplats.

1. You start it with Nintendo Vs. Capcom. This would be an instant hit purely on brand power. Nintendo would obviously publish it, and Capcom would make it.

2. Then Mega Man. Nintendo would publish this and, if Capcom allowed it, would develop it. I'd say give it to Retro Studios. It would be modeled after the classics, but would be totally modern. There hasn't been a truly remarkable 2D Mega Man in years, and with an extensive amount of levels and content, as well as an audience ripe for that kind of experience, it would bring Mega Man back.

3. Monster Hunter NX. Capcom would publish this like they always do. While it would be marketed as being part of this new deal, it would just be a continuation of the support they gave Nintendo on the 3DS. The different would, hopefully, be that there would be more done to make the game appeal more to western audience, like a more significant story, and a world that isn't divided into small zones. And an appearance on consoles via NX's unified platform.

4. Then you get Devil May Cry x Bayonetta. Because it's a crossover, Capcom doesn't need to lose out on releasing DMC:5 as a multiplat, but can still gain a popular edition to the franchise with a smaller amount of, but still significant, brand power. This game would also be published by Nintendo, but developed entirely by Platinum Games. It's a spin off.

5. Finally, another Resident Evil spin off in the same vain as Resident Evil: Revalations. Heck, it could even be Revalations 3. Again, this allows Capcom to still do whatever they want with Resident Evil 7 while giving Resident Evil as a franchise the marketing focus of a first party franchise. Nintendo would handle the marketing for the game.

Low risk for Capcom, high benefit for all involved. Nintendo gets five superstar franchises exclusive to their platform. And no buyout nessicary.

The idea that Nintendo is fine with being such a small conglomerate is the most bold faced lie I've ever heard. They've tried to expand already. They tried to buy out Bandai Namco. They are ever expanding literally as we speak. But I don't think that expansion is going towards IP outside of gaming. No James Bond. No mission impossible. They'll either create their own IP, or they'll buy someone elses gaming IP and make it big again like Square did with the Eidos IP, but I definitely don't see them picking up movie IP or something. It feels out of left field. That being said, I'm not going to rule something like that out. I just don't see it personally.

Retail was bad for Sony because no one wants 90% of the products Sony sells. With an all digital platform where people are afraid that retailers will get upset and drop support, its own chain would be an excellent way to get around this. I'm not saying it will happen though. Nintendo hasn't really made any moves to suggest it will. I just think it's a good idea they should consider. It would do wonders to increase brand awareness too, since they would literally be everywhere. It would have focus too, since it would sell a very specific array of product, as opposed to the wider variety that the Sony store did, which isn't so good when the store only focuses on one brand. It would only sell NX products, Amiibo, Nintendo nick nacks, and maybe older hardware and accessories. That's it, very much like Apple Stores.

The iPhone wasn't a blue ocean product. Ocean refers to the audience, not the product. Blue ocean references an audience that it new or unknown. The iPhone didn't grab a new audience, it grabbed the old audience with a better product. The Wii was a blue ocean product. The established gaming audience weren't the ones that made the Wii successful, the new "casual" audience did. They were an audience that didn't exist in gaming to that degree before the Wii. The NX will be like the iPhone. A red ocean product. It won't try to grab a previously nonexistant/unknown audience. It will try to grab an established audience with a different, superior product. Also, the iphone wasn't just successful because it had a touch screen. Plenty of devices had touch screens. It was revolutionary because of how it changed phones from being just communication devices to being multimedia devices with a simple interface. Touch screens were important in that simplification, but if it was just a touch screen blackberry, it wouldn't have changed anything. 

Wyrdness said:

Kid centric doesn't mean games that can be played by kids per say, W101 for example is a game geared more towards techical action players who love to improve their skill, kids maybe in the age group that can play it but it's not exactly a kid centric game  (it could be argued the same goes for the likes of Pikmin while Zelda is just broad in general but is more and more feeling less kid centric each installment) and this is how the library of the Wii U pans out tbh. It's more geared towards teens and above despite the games in the library being aimed at a broad market.

I means that its intended to be played primerily by kids. Kids played Megaman NES. They played the original LoZ. They can handle W101. W101 is a game that has a high skill ceiling for action fans, but it is far from being a game that isn't geared towards children. I don't think that it goes for Pikmin and Zelda at all. Just because a game demands skill doesn't mean it's less for kids. It means that the game respects the intelligence of children, which they should, because we were kids once and got along fine. They can too. Zelda only briefly targeted an older audience with TP and maybe SS. Zelda U, while no WW, definitely isn't a game aimed premerily at adults, though I'd bite and say it's aimed more at younger to mid teens more so than kids outright like Mario.

It's definitely not more geared towards teens. Kids and younger teens, sure, but the platform is definitely not one who's promary focus is older teens or young adults. There's no problem with that. It's for "everyone," but everyone means focusing on kids first. The great thing about Nintendo games is how they can be enjoyed by all ages, despite targeting kids. 

spemanig said:
Soundwave said:

Capcom has like two franchises that sell anything, Resident Evil and Monster Hunter, and Nintendo already has one of them basically exclusive (Monster Hunter), and they've had Resident Evil exclusive in the past and it did nothing for them. 

Disney/Marvel are successful because they have very valuable IP that appeal to the West first and foremost. 

Nintendo has no interest in being a giant media conglomerate anyway. They are a very conservative Kyoto-based company (meaning they are conservative even by Japanese standards). Nintendo *likes* being a small, tightly controlled company by its board of directors, one that has a very insular culture. The staff at NOA probably have to ask permission from Japan to take a shit. 

What I think might be more realistic is maybe going after key available movie or product licenses that are just sitting around not being used. That means maybe you look at the James Bond or Mission: Impossible IP for a game series. GoldenEye brought Nintendo a lot more adult/teenagers who didn't give a crap about Mario/Pikachu but that's partly why the N64 sold about the same as the SNES in the West at least (too bad the Japanese side of Nintendo didn't keep up their end of the bargain and the system did terribly in Japan). You need to find character IP that are underused and time less, Marvel's characters are like that, they were a goldmine that no one was using for a long time. 

Retail is a bad idea too (see Sony shutting down the Sony stores). 

Also the iPhone very much was a blue ocean product, there was no full touchscreen phone like that before the iPhone that worked like that and every smartphone since then basically has copied the iPhone layout. Before that, the popular "high end" phone meant the flip-out Motorola Razr or if you were a business type the Blackberry with a physical keyboard. But those types of things come around very, very rarely, iPhone is bigger than just that moniker, it's a product that's literally changed the world and propelled Apple into being the most profitable company in the world. 

I think that Devil May Cry, Mega Man, Street Fighter, etc are all big important franchises with huge potential to make money as well. Iron Man wasn't big until Disney came in. Neither was Thor and barely Captain America. Now they are as mainstream as Superman and Batman. Nintendo could do the same thing in a Capcom partnership. It only works in bulk, though. Just one franchise won't do it. They need bulk and they need consistancy. Not just Monster Hunter. Monster Hunter NX and a Resident Evil and a well produced modern Mega Man and a Devil May Cry and Nintendo Vs. Capcom. The stregnth comes from the numbers as well as the quality.

And each of then can, very much, appeal in the west. All of them, aside from Monster Hunter, already have, and Monster Hunter is ripe for its break though here. And they are timeless. They just haven't been utilized very well in the modern era. I think that can change with the right direction. (I also don't think Capcom needs Nintendo to bring these franchises back to major relevancy, but I think both companies could benefit from an organized partnership where that is a goal) I've mentioned before five game ideas where, if Nintendo entered a major exclusivity deal with Capcom, they could give Nintendo big exclusives while giving this franchises the funding, the advertising focus, and the polish to bring them a relevancy they simply wouldn't get as multiplats.

1. You start it with Nintendo Vs. Capcom. This would be an instant hit purely on brand power. Nintendo would obviously publish it, and Capcom would make it.

2. Then Mega Man. Nintendo would publish this and, if Capcom allowed it, would develop it. I'd say give it to Retro Studios. It would be modeled after the classics, but would be totally modern. There hasn't been a truly remarkable 2D Mega Man in years, and with an extensive amount of levels and content, as well as an audience ripe for that kind of experience, it would bring Mega Man back.

3. Monster Hunter NX. Capcom would publish this like they always do. While it would be marketed as being part of this new deal, it would just be a continuation of the support they gave Nintendo on the 3DS. The different would, hopefully, be that there would be more done to make the game appeal more to western audience, like a more significant story, and a world that isn't divided into small zones. And an appearance on consoles via NX's unified platform.

4. Then you get Devil May Cry x Bayonetta. Because it's a crossover, Capcom doesn't need to lose out on releasing DMC:5 as a multiplat, but can still gain a popular edition to the franchise with a smaller amount of, but still significant, brand power. This game would also be published by Nintendo, but developed entirely by Platinum Games. It's a spin off.

5. Finally, another Resident Evil spin off in the same vain as Resident Evil: Revalations. Heck, it could even be Revalations 3. Again, this allows Capcom to still do whatever they want with Resident Evil 7 while giving Resident Evil as a franchise the marketing focus of a first party franchise. Nintendo would handle the marketing for the game.

Low risk for Capcom, high benefit for all involved. Nintendo gets five superstar franchises exclusive to their platform. And no buyout nessicary.

The idea that Nintendo is fine with being such a small conglomerate is the most bold faced lie I've ever heard. They've tried to expand already. They tried to buy out Bandai Namco. They are ever expanding literally as we speak. But I don't think that expansion is going towards IP outside of gaming. No James Bond. No mission impossible. They'll either create their own IP, or they'll buy someone elses gaming IP and make it big again like Square did with the Eidos IP, but I definitely don't see them picking up movie IP or something. It feels out of left field. That being said, I'm not going to rule something like that out. I just don't see it personally.

Retail was bad for Sony because no one wants 90% of the products Sony sells. With an all digital platform where people are afraid that retailers will get upset and drop support, its own chain would be an excellent way to get around this. I'm not saying it will happen though. Nintendo hasn't really made any moves to suggest it will. I just think it's a good idea they should consider. It would do wonders to increase brand awareness too, since they would literally be everywhere. It would have focus too, since it would sell a very specific array of product, as opposed to the wider variety that the Sony store did, which isn't so good when the store only focuses on one brand. It would only sell NX products, Amiibo, Nintendo nick nacks, and maybe older hardware and accessories. That's it, very much like Apple Stores.

The iPhone wasn't a blue ocean product. Ocean refers to the audience, not the product. Blue ocean references an audience that it new or unknown. The iPhone didn't grab a new audience, it grabbed the old audience with a better product. The Wii was a blue ocean product. The established gaming audience weren't the ones that made the Wii successful, the new "casual" audience did. They were an audience that didn't exist in gaming to that degree before the Wii. The NX will be like the iPhone. A red ocean product. It won't try to grab a previously nonexistant/unknown audience. It will try to grab an established audience with a different, superior product. Also, the iphone wasn't just successful because it had a touch screen. Plenty of devices had touch screens. It was revolutionary because of how it changed phones from being just communication devices to being multimedia devices with a simple interface. Touch screens were important in that simplification, but if it was just a touch screen blackberry, it wouldn't have changed anything. 

Ugh, enough with the "buy Capcom", Nintendo is not buying a bloated, past its prime Japanese third party to make Japanese games that won't really help them in the West. Resident Evil simply just sells better on Sony platforms, Nintendo has had exclusive Resident Evil games before and it's never really helped their hardware sales, and quite frankly the franchise is dated and tired today, it's almost 20 years old. 

Like I like Capcom too, but Nintendo fans have been banging this drum for like 15 years. If Nintendo wants rights to Megaman games, I'm pretty sure Capcom would just give it to them for a small fee if Nintendo was willing to actually finance such a game (which they're probably not interested in). 

They made a pitch for BANDAI as a toy company like *13 years ago* when Bandai's stock was at rock bottom. The last major new external studio they invested in an ownership stake was like ... I can't even remember. Maybe Silicon Knights or Retro Studios in the late 1990s? Even despite swimming in cash during the Wii/DS era they basically did not invest anything meaningful into foreign development or developer buy-outs. 

Nintendo is fine with being a small company. I think you're confusing what you want with the actual reality here. Nintendo is just now barely coming out of their shell and doing things like amusement park rides and that's only because their traditional hardware business is in major decline.  Being a massive company is not all that it's cracked up to be either, fans often don't know what they're talking about in a business sense when they make pie in the sky suggestions. Having a small work force is beneficial to being able to run a profitable company and it's much easier to maintain corporate culture with a smaller work force. Why do you think companies like Microsoft and Sony are engaging in massive layoffs ... to downsize and become more managable. 

Around the Network
travis said:

You are way overestimating the amont of people that want to buy digital only. There are not that many.

I don't think it's an audience that is actively saying "I want digital only." It's an audience that, when the NX comes out, will buy it and not care that it's digital only. What there are "not too many of" are people who will putright not buy a good platform with the games they want purely based on the fact that it's digital only. 99% of people saying they won't support digital only will see the NX games from their favorite franchises, buy the NX, buy thoes games, and then learn from experience why all digital is so awesome because they were forced to. You may not like to hear that but most people will be incredibly fickle once this thing is fully revealed and even moreso after the thing launches and they have to decide whether to stand by their silly ideal of physical or bust, or quit whining and buy "Metroid Prime 4 and Mario Galaxy 3."

They'll buy "Metorid Prime 4 and Mario Galaxy 3."

Soundwave said:

Ugh, enough with the "buy Capcom", Nintendo is not buying a bloated, past its prime Japanese third party to make Japanese games that won't really help them in the West. Resident Evil simply just sells better on Sony platforms, Nintendo has had exclusive Resident Evil games before and it's never really helped their hardware sales, and quite frankly the franchise is dated and tired today, it's almost 20 years old. 

Like I like Capcom too, but Nintendo fans have been banging this drum for like 15 years. If Nintendo wants rights to Megaman games, I'm pretty sure Capcom would just give it to them for a small fee if Nintendo was willing to actually finance such a game (which they're probably not interested in). 

They made a pitch for BANDAI as a toy company like *13 years ago* when Bandai's stock was at rock bottom. The last major new external studio they invested in an ownership stake was like ... I can't even remember. Maybe Silicon Knights or Retro Studios in the late 1990s? Even despite swimming in cash during the Wii/DS era they basically did not invest anything meaningful into foreign development or developer buy-outs. 

Nintendo is fine with being a small company. I think you're confusing what you want with the actual reality here. Nintendo is just now barely coming out of their shell and doing things like amusement park rides and that's only because their traditional hardware business is in major decline.  

I'm not going to stop with the buy Capcom. They aren't past their Prime and their IP are still some of the most valuable in the industry. If Square can make Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, and Hitman relevant again, Nintendo can make Mega Man, Devil May Cry, and others relevant again.

It doesn't matter how long ago it was and it's not like Capcom is a financial powerhouse at the moment, and like I said, they don't even have to buy them outright. They can purchase a controlling stake, or they could just workout a major exclusivity deal.

I'm not confusing anything. The brand expansion isn't merely an reaction to poor sales. It's a well thought out plan of expansion for the future as a multimedia titan like Disney is. I just don't think T.V. and movies are enough on that front. They need to do something big with their software output at home, and a partnership with Capcom would be a titanic start.

FunFan said:
Rumor has it that spemanig owns a time machine. Where he comes from, people don't sleep.

Hello from the future where sleep is digital only.

dongo8 said:

Becasue they don't need to, they just go back in time to a time where they felt most awake. An endless loop of no sleep and spewing Nintendo conspiracies, which I enjoy very much by the way, so thank you Spemanig!

I wouldn't call them conspiracies, but I'll be doing this stuff for a long time. Who wants a site where everyone agrees and no one says crazy, outlandish, occasionally correct things, right?