By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will The Nx Ruin Nintendo`s Console Launch Releases?

spemanig said:
Soundwave said:

I could see it honestly. The current way of doing things is not doing anything for Nintendo so why keep playing by those same 30 year old rules. 

Most of the next-gen leap will be eaten up by the need to probably run games at 4K anyway. 

So yeah sure I could see a new NX 4K model in 2019 that runs games at 4K res with some added graphical effects, but the same games could still run on the old NX models just at lower res, lower effects. I don't really see the problem with that. 

I'm not sure it would be that powerful honestly. Like, it should be. I'm just not sure I'd buy that it will be that soon not when the PS4 and XBO won't and it won't really need to compete on that front.

I like the idea of 3 year hardware refreshes honestly so long as the library continues to carry forward. 

I don't mind the idea of different powered SKUs either, there doesn't need to be one chip that limits the entire product line. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

I like the idea of 3 year hardware refreshes honestly so long as the library continues to carry forward. 

I don't mind the idea of different powered SKUs either, there doesn't need to be one chip that limits the entire product line. 

It definitely would, and like I've said, they could even get away with 2 year refreshes.

I don't think you'll ever see the simultaneous launch of different powered SKUs of the same brand of hardware. Like I don't think you'll see an NX and an NX lite, which is a less powerful console. But yeah, I definitely see Nintendo theoretically selling the weaker OG NX for cheaper once the NX 2.0 came out to appeal to people with tighter bugdets.

spemanig said:
Arlo said:

I do think that sort of thing is something Nintendo needs to get on, but I don't think it would mean so many releases would work for them.  I don't feel like the type of person who buys a new phone every year or two or spends two grand on a laptop is the same type of person who buys Nintendo games.  Apple products are in high demand and hit every single adult demographic, including older people with well-established careers.  Nintendo products are...Nintendo products.  They hit a pretty small chunk of an already (relatively) small demographic of gamers.

Apple products sell to kids as well. Nintendo products being cheaper would make selling these things easier, not harder. Nintendo can easily change their branding to appeal to whatever audience they want to. They already proved that with the Wii, where they made the deliberate choice to appeal to a more casual audience in their ads for it. A similar rebranding for the NX could have them appeal to whatever audience they want.

And there isn't any "specific audience" that buy hardware upgrades. 90% of people who will buy the iPhone 6S this year will be people who owned an iphone 5S or lower, not people who bought the 6 last year. People harp on about there being a "new Apple product every year," but the reason that works is because the older products don't immediately become obsolete at the introduction of 1, or 2, or even 3 updates. People who bought a 6 aren't wishing they had a 6S. People who bought a 4S are wishing they had a 6S. Nintendo can pull off a similar thing with the NX.

Release a new NX every two years and a new NXDS every year, and allow the older versions to download the latest OS updates, and they'd rake in money.

I think I'm going to simply take the agree-to-disagree route on this one.  I just don't think any of that is accurate.  I might like to see how it would work in a world where Nintendo products were in high demand, but that's just not a world we're living in right now.  Right now there are pretty much exactly 10 million hardcore Nintendo fans, and they're the ones that already bought a Wii u.  I believe that Nintendo can take steps to make their consoles more apealing to gamers, but I just plain don't believe they're going to capture the casual market ever again.  They started something that smartphones and tablets picked up, and I strongly believe that those days are done for Nintendo.

RolStoppable said:
The Wii U would be the culprit in your outlined scenario.

Basically, this.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile