By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - What is your opinion on the "Ashley Madison Hack"?

What is your opinion on the Ashley Madison Hack?

Website is at fault 10 3.36%

Website and users are at fault 34 11.41%

Everyone subject to hacking is a victim 44 14.77%

All cheaters should get screwed 75 25.17%

Cheating is no big deal, ... 8 2.68%

I hope I am not among the names leaked 11 3.69%

I keep my Love Pillow awa... 1 0.34%

Hackers, cheaters and the... 30 10.07%

The people cheated on and... 41 13.76%

I don't care. 44 14.77%

Total:298

I'm glad Ashley Madison was hacked. People who put blame on the hackers are idiots. The hackers are not the individuals who have misled their spouses and family, the people who signed up for Ashley Madison are. Ashley Madison endorses immoral behaviour just so they can profit from such behaviour.
It is a good thing that this site was hacked and had all of the data contained within it revealed to the public.
Biderman (the CEO of Ashley Madison) stated "he would be devastated" if he had discovered that his wife used this site. Clearly he does not approve of these practices, but wanted to profit from it all the same.

I often find myself asking "Is this the right thing to do?"
I do not find myself asking "Is this against the law?" Sometimes the law can be corrupt, it is systematically placed to protect those with power. However, this is a discussion for another time when such a thread should arise.

Around the Network
metroidking said:
Lawlight said:

Incorrect. If someone commits suicide because he is being blackmailed, the blackmailer doesn't have blood on their hands?

What do you mean blackmail someone to kill themselves? lol thats an extreme example

If someone said to me "kill yourself or I will kill your family, I would be like F*** you ill kill you buddy." I wouldnt be like "okay guess i better kill myself to save my family, cause who knows they wont kill them anyway?

even in this case where the hackers are like "pay us $450 or we will expose you" Id still be like f*** you "and just come clean about it LIKE THESE IDIOTS SHOULD OF DONE IN THE FIRST PLACE RATHER THAN CHEATING AND TRYING TO HIDE IT.  Then Id write a rap song dissing the hackers and ashley madison put it on spotify and itunes and get some money out of it haha.

Yeah, real life isn't a Taken movie.

The hacking of personal info... Bad.

To the members? If you didn't have your hand in the cookie jar, it wouldn't have got stuck. No sympathy.

Tachikoma said:
Lawlight said:

Incorrect. If someone commits suicide because he is being blackmailed, the blackmailer doesn't have blood on their hands?

This is a poor analogy, a more accurate one would be, a person's convicted of a crime and while under arrest/in prison, commits suicide, is that then the fault of the judge or arresting officer? No.

That's an even worse analogy. Because putting someone in prison isn't a crime.

LivingMetal said:
Soundwave said:

Except hacking is against the law. There is no law against cheating (sorry), so legally that has no basis. It's your moral outrage about it, but it's not against the law, if it was like half the population would be in jail. Humans are not by their nature a monogamous species. Sorry if that breaks the Hallmark card image of what a relationship should be. 

What's legal isn't always moral, and what's illegal isn't always immoral.  And I never said hacking wasn't illegal or immoral.  Also, my commited wife of 20+ years just bought me a new Mazda 6 2016.  Paid in full.  And we has sex two nights ago, not last night. Life sucks. Maybe I need a Hallmark sympathy card.

Nice of her to have bought you a Mazda 6 with your own money :)

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
metroidking said:

Yip thats right

Blackmailing? A bit of a stretch. The information leaked is the information they themselves put on the website. It's already cheating so, clearly risks of being caught are already there...

Are they blackmailing themselves?

ironmanDX said:
Lawlight said:
metroidking said:

Yip thats right

Blackmailing? A bit of a stretch. The information leaked is the information they themselves put on the website. It's already cheating so, clearly risks of being caught are already there...

No. Some people are using the hack data to blackmail others.

Tachikoma said:
Soundwave said:

Except hacking is against the law. There is no law against cheating (sorry), so legally that has no basis.

Adultery is still a crime in 21 US states and many countries across the world. (Sorry)

In the US its akin to jay-walking (also "illegal"), almost no one gets put in jail for it, because it that was the case, 1/2 the damn US adult population would be in jail. 

Yes there are fundamentalist countries that actually do punish people for it, but it's usually ass backwards countries where women can't drive or wear a miniskirt either (welcome to ISIS Land). 

Lawlight said:
ironmanDX said:

No. Some people are using the hack data to blackmail others.

That data is public domain now. Literally anyone can view it now (with access to the internet). 
These people that are allowing themselves to be blackmailed is silly, seeing as even if they meet the blackmailers terms, anyone else can stumble upon that information now anyway. It would be best just to fess up, rather than playing the sympathy card "I was caught with the intention to cheat, and now people are using it against me, WAH!"
The hackers revealed the information to the public, like I said in a previous post, the hackers are not the individuals who have led the families astray and deceived them, that is on the partners and this website that profits from such behaviour. Not only are these people wilfully cheating on their partners, they are spending money to do so. This is a new low.

Biderman (the CEO of Ashley Madison) stated "he would be devastated" if he had discovered that his wife used this site. Clearly he does not approve of these practices, but wanted to profit from it all the same. 

Hackers can be used for good, and they can be used for bad. Just like anyone with the knowledge and power to do so. When hackers reveal corruption within the government and corruptions, this is good for society. People need to know about these things. 
What people do with this information is on them, whether they use it for good or bad, that's on them.

People been cheating for centuries.Marriage is an overrated and outdated concept anyway.As is religion.