By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN..Zombi U/Zombi WTF

the-pi-guy said:
Samus Aran said:

You didn't answer my question though. Only rarely do I have more fun on a second playthrough than on a first one. Am I alone in this or are most people like me?

Uncharted 2, The Last of Us, Jak games, Super Mario RPG, and many others are just about as enjoyable now to me as they were the first time I've played.  

Uncharted 3, I actually enjoyed more the second time around.  Some aspects of the story just made more impact the second time around, and my expectations for gameplay were met because I knew what I was getting into, instead of hoping it'd turn out like Uncharted 2.  

I don't think that's the norm for games that are story driven though (hence why so many people hate spoilers).

I just finished Xenoblade, a second playthrough wouldn't have the same impact on me.

MP2 is more fun every time I replay it though. :)

Around the Network

This is why i don't bother reading reviews anymore. sure it i a different reviewer and all but it shows their lack of professionalism too.

If i were to review a game that was ported I would at least find out the differences in the two versions. If stuff was missing that could have been in the game (i.e no technical barriers) then I would make note of that in my review.

Honestly, zombiu would be one game that I would say would benefit from removing the gamepad features, as they were not good at all from my experience.

This is a case of different reviewer, although the wii u version should be addressed if their scores are going to be drastically different (more for the sake of the site and it's credibility)

For those of you claiming "this is why reviews suck!" I say you are exxagerrating and need to realize that this is just one review that has been mishandled

Nem said:

Welcome to the sham that are commercial reviews. Learn to ignore.

The excuse that its a different reviewer is weak aswell. A publication has to mantain consistency. Its not today, fanboy of system A gets to review game from system B and tomorrow fan from system B reviews the same game but it scores higher even though its a worse version. It isnt the publication of journalist X, its IGN. 

But welll... we already knew they were bad. Too much water.

That's utterly ridiculous.  The moment an editor tells a writer to write a review based on someone else's opinion, that's when credibility is lost.  Telling the reviewer the score they need to hit based on another work would be a failure of journalistic integrity.  Any writer worth reading would refuse immediately, and rightfully so.  That's a horrible, awful suggestion.  I'm sure some editors might tell a reviewer to lie for the sake of "consistency" but, as a consumer, that's something I would not accept if I knew it was taking place.  I have far more respect for an editor that lets a writer write their own work without pre-setting the outcome in advance.

Around the Network

I totally get it.

It's not hard to see why Zombi would be polarizing. It has some really great aspects (emphasis on pure survival, death system that makes losing a big deal, atmosphere) but also some terrible ones (melee combat, game crashing glitches). It's really not hard to see how two people would come to different opinions of the game.

As an aside, did they fix the gamebreaking glitches for the XBone PS4 version? If they didn't, the game deserves a 0 cause there is no excuse for that after nearly 3 years.

pokoko said:
Nem said:

Welcome to the sham that are commercial reviews. Learn to ignore.

The excuse that its a different reviewer is weak aswell. A publication has to mantain consistency. Its not today, fanboy of system A gets to review game from system B and tomorrow fan from system B reviews the same game but it scores higher even though its a worse version. It isnt the publication of journalist X, its IGN. 

But welll... we already knew they were bad. Too much water.

That's utterly ridiculous.  The moment an editor tells a writer to write a review based on someone else's opinion, that's when credibility is lost.  Telling the reviewer the score they need to hit based on another work would be a failure of journalistic integrity.  Any writer worth reading would refuse immediately, and rightfully so.  That's a horrible, awful suggestion.  I'm sure some editors might tell a reviewer to lie for the sake of "consistency" but, as a consumer, that's something I would not accept if I knew it was taking place.  I have far more respect for an editor that lets a writer write their own work without pre-setting the outcome in advance.

As if these guys (or girls) have a degree in Journalism. I'd be surprised if they have a college degree at all.

Samus Aran said:
pokoko said:

As if these guys (or girls) have a degree in Journalism. I'd be surprised if they have a college degree at all.

Why, Why, Why? What is the point of a comment like that? Integrity doesn't come from a degree. Are you saying that they might as well just lie about how they feel about a game for the sake of having a similar score?

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Normchacho said:
Samus Aran said:
pokoko said:

Why, Why, Why? What is the point of a comment like that? Integrity doesn't come from a degree. Are you saying that they might as well just lie about how they feel about a game for the sake of having a similar score?

I'm saying that gaming journalism is of very low quality. And yes, education does make people better at something, that's why they call it education.

From wrong information, to poor writing and spelling errors, I've seen it all in gaming journalism. In abundance even.

It wouldn't hurt if gaming journalism became more professional. Most of them lack the skill required to do decent research into a given subject.

That's why we get shit like this:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/super-mario-maker-hand-2015-7?r=US&IR=T

or this:

http://kotaku.com/guy-spends-entire-splatoon-match-drawing-dicks-still-w-1710914506

I find it BS with this review. They need to research the previous reviews first and taking it from there. I picked up the PC version and besides the 60 frames I find the WiiU version superior. The past reviewer for the WiiU version was Greg Miller who is a PS fans. Goes to show how bias the industry can be.