By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Video Game Piracy costs the industry as much as it makes!

ZhugeEX said:
mornelithe said:

Ok, so take a look at what you just wrote, and the title of your thread.   See the difference between what you're saying here, and the title that more than suggests otherwise?

And if you have reports that suggest otherwise, I'd be interesting in seeing them.  However, given what you've posted in this article, the only response that is necessary is 'correlation does not imply causation'.

The title is that way because of the legality of piracy. 

You're going to need to explain that one a bit, because on the surface, that makes no sense, whatsoever.

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
LuckyTrouble said:
KLAMarine said:
LuckyTrouble said:
*sigh* Once again: piracy does not equal lost sales. Every person that pirates did not intend to buy. The vast, vast majority of them would never spend their money on the game, for one reason or another.

Demand for a product and demand for a paid product are two very different things.

You know there also exist pirates who would have paid if they were unable to pirate a free copy.

Which is entirely irrelevant because as long as the pirated copy exists, they are not a potential sale. They would only be a potential sale in a scenario where piracy was not an option.

So what you're saying is because of piracy, potential sales are hurt?

Theoretically, yes. I'm not going to say piracy has absolutely zero impact on sales. In fact, I have yet to say that. I simply argue that we can't quantify the impact in any meaningful way, and trying to argue situations where demand would act differently is fairly pointless overall as there is no definitive way to contradict the reality we experience.

Ka-pi96 said:
mornelithe said:

False narrative, there's really no guarantee that a pirated game, would've been a sale, if piracy weren't possible.

Well with the huge amount of it it's pretty much guaranteed that some of them would have been actual sales. Of course not all of them, but it would be next to impossible for none of them to translate in to sales if pirated copies weren't available.

How do you know?  How do you know it wouldn't be like things were before the internet was publicly available?  That's the problem, nobody can attach any kind of number to this theory, because it's impossible to verify.

Btw, I'm not saying you or Zhuge are ultimately wrong, I'm simply saying proof is required to support the assertion.  And to date, nobody has done so effectively. 

Hey, I guess PC gaming really is getting more popular.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Another exaggerated report paid for by gaming industry as they work on their DRM agenda. It is much easier to justify such policies by making up numbers and wanti g us to believe that there are actually $160 billion ready to be spent on the product.

Around the Network

i wonder how many pirats buy the game when the DRMbs infested servers run okayish

killerbeed said:
I've heard it argued that piracy is a matter of service as opposed to price, do any of you feel this way? For I've seen evidence to the contradictory such as when shows like breaking bad became one of the most pirated shows in history despite the entire series being available on netflix.

To a degree yea but I think its a little bit of both. Like for example, I love game of thrones but in order for me to watch it the "standard" method, I have to pay $60 to get the standard cable and then an additional $25 for HBO which is crazy cause that is only for TV and just to watch one show that I care about, I have to pay that much per month! Like there is no "Only HBO" option at all.

And another case is like how stuff from Netflix US isn't avaliable in say Netflix Canada so I have to either use a proxy or vpn if I want to watch the superior version of netflix so I do think that it is a little bit of both cause when you are going up again "piracy" which is essentially free, you have to battle it with convinence + low pricing imo.

Gaming has a similar issue, at least on the PC front cause I really don't like dealing with Origin and specially Uplay so more often than not, I try to avoid buying games that have those types of DRM. But at the sametime, most of the games are still on steam so I think then it comes a pricing + value issue for a lot of people since games are pretty expensive for many although I personally think its fine. Many people also just don't care regardless so there is that too. But yea who knows for games but for movies/tv shows, service is certainly a big part of the issue.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

LuckyTrouble said:

Theoretically, yes. I'm not going to say piracy has absolutely zero impact on sales.

Hmm, I'd argue your previous post:

LuckyTrouble said:
*sigh* Once again: piracy does not equal lost sales. Every person that pirates did not intend to buy. The vast, vast majority of them would never spend their money on the game, for one reason or another

would suggest otherwise.

LuckyTrouble said:

I simply argue that we can't quantify the impact in any meaningful way, and trying to argue situations where demand would act differently is fairly pointless overall as there is no definitive way to contradict the reality we experience.

I agree we can't really come up with solid numbers. Be that as it may, I can't just sneak into a movie theater to watch a movie and claim "well I wasn't going to buy a ticket anyways" when the theater staff ask me to leave.

KLAMarine said:

I can't just sneak into a movie theater to watch a movie and claim "well I wasn't going to buy a ticket anyways" when the theater staff ask me to leave.

Thanks for the really great analogy for pirating (sneaking into a movie theater)! I'm deffinitely gonna use that in future discussions.

Ka-pi96 said:
mornelithe said:

How do you know?  How do you know it wouldn't be like things were before the internet was publicly available?  That's the problem, nobody can attach any kind of number to this theory, because it's impossible to verify.

Before the internet was available there was still piracy so...

Besides, I'm merely saying that it is a statistical impossibility that none of those pirated games would have been legit sales if there were no way to pirate the game.

Ok, I'll give you the statistical impossibility, however, taken in context with the thread title, and the body of the threads message, I'm calling extreme and utter bullshit.  It's a HUGE stretch to go from 'statistical impossibility that none of those pirates games would have been legit sales' to Piracy costs the industry as much as it makes!!!!!  Make sense?

Also, what's the statistical probability that every single instance of piracy, is from someone who doesn't own the game? :)  Yep, it was downloaded, but it was also paid for.  There are obvious reasons to do this, and probably some that aren't obvious.  But, you can't say that number is 0, either.