By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer: I honestly don't goal the team on how many units Sony sells

Puppyroach said:
He is absolutely right, and I think the XBox brand is something more than just a competitor to Sony and Nintendo nowadays. But it annoys me that MS will not release figures for X1, I know Spencer has no influence over that but I find it silly.

they release xbox numbers every quarter
just not xb1 and 360 seperately

sony didn't report ps3 numbers last quarter

they all do, what fits them best.
ms only care that you buy into the xbox ecosystem and make them money
sony does not care about ps3 anymore, because it makes them next to no money compared to ps4
(ps3 and xb360 numbers are low anyway, so it doesn't matter much either)

Around the Network

"There are ways to sell consoles by losing more money on hardware and building an unnatural business construct that I'd never want to do - at the end, when people make a commitment to Xbox and the consoles they buy, the games they buy, they want to know that Microsoft and Xbox is in it for the long run. To sacrifice the long term for any short term gain doesn't make any sense."

...Sell consoles? Right, that's why they're practically giving them away for free with a Samsung TV for $500 lol. So I wonder how much money did they actually lose per sale from this?

This guy really talks too much and says a bunch of nothing.

endy.G said:
Puppyroach said:
He is absolutely right, and I think the XBox brand is something more than just a competitor to Sony and Nintendo nowadays. But it annoys me that MS will not release figures for X1, I know Spencer has no influence over that but I find it silly.

they release xbox numbers every quarter
just not xb1 and 360 seperately

sony didn't report ps3 numbers last quarter

they all do, what fits them best.
ms only care that you buy into the xbox ecosystem and make them money
sony does not care about ps3 anymore, because it makes them next to no money compared to ps4
(ps3 and xb360 numbers are low anyway, so it doesn't matter much either)

It does matter since MS is not making money from the 360 enough to cover what they are losing with the X1 and the PS3 is still selling better than the 360 globally anyway,but both are old consoles and should be forgotten.

V-r0cK said:
"There are ways to sell consoles by losing more money on hardware and building an unnatural business construct that I'd never want to do - at the end, when people make a commitment to Xbox and the consoles they buy, the games they buy, they want to know that Microsoft and Xbox is in it for the long run. To sacrifice the long term for any short term gain doesn't make any sense."

...Sell consoles? Right, that's why they're practically giving them away for free with a Samsung TV for $500 lol. So I wonder how much money did they actually lose per sale from this?

LOL didn't know this.More talking BS as usual.

Around the Network

Giving up already?

They better make sure Nintendo doesn't catch up cause it's gonna hurt. Just saying.

So basically he admits that they can't beat Sony and thats okay. He also admits that a price drop doesn't make sense if it only boosts things in the short term. It also reeks havoc on Revenue YoY which is why you are beginning to see higher priced SKU... even a $500 Halo Xbox One bundle.

Skeetys said:
celador said:

Interesting change from last year

What did he say last year?

"We are in it to win it."

Basically, they were comparing themselves to Sony... like everyone else is/was.  So, it makes sense that he realized that lowering the price for a temp boost that will not translate into a leadership position in the market is futile.    Meanwhile, reducing revenue does nothing to sustain the brand.   Pretty straightforward stuff here. 

It took a while, but now Mr. Spencer realizes too that he can't win this race.

Abun said:

It does matter since MS is not making money from the 360 enough to cover what they are losing with the X1 and the PS3 is still selling better than the 360 globally anyway,but both are old consoles and should be forgotten.

what?

1. MS is not loosing money with XB1
2. PS3 is not selling better globally.

But if the Ps3 is selling better than X360, this would be even more beneficial for MS, because Xb1 is at over 15 million in that case ;)