By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Official Super Mario Maker Thread - Mario Maker for 3DS has been released?! Ok...

Are you excited for the new update

Yes 16 88.89%

No 2 11.11%

Total:18

As promised I beat your time paradox level.

Around the Network
atomicblue said:

I intend to play some of the levels posted in here in the next few days (not right now, when I need to go to bed).

In the meantime, I made a fairly hard ghost house themed around the idea of rooms that are (mostly) mirror images of one another. It's up to you to figure out which things don't abide by the "mirror image" rule.

I've left some hints, so turn comments on if you need some clues (since it's fairly tough).

Ghostly Mirror Manor
18E0-0000-00A2-6A64

Great level, but pretty hard too. I don't know how to turn comments on, they show up on some courses, didn't on yours. I figured out a path in the editor as I couldn't find the hidden block in the big room. It made sense when I saw it yet I swear I jumped there earlier with no effect. Plus I forget you could fly after playing smw style so long, that had me stumped for a bit.
It still took me 20 tries after solving the puzzle, those wandering ghosts are a pita. Eventually I took a shortcut, clean up the coins, go back, grab another switch and skip that whole part in the big room. Then I had enough time to focus on evading the ghosts and finishing the level. Great design, yet ugh I hate ghosts :)

I also very much enjoyed Losing his ship, Ice climber and KoopanCakes.
I like the idea of Herded through the grapevine and Great rails of fire, yet it goes a bit too slow to repeat the whole beginning again for a 3rd time. Those need checkpoints. Same for Mario Bros and Wario Bros, not a fan of repeating that. I got stuck on the trampolines in Thwomp castle (trampolines are my nemesis) And towering inferno had me at the underwater part, can't swim fast enough.

Anyway I love puzzles, more like ghostly manor please :) (without the ghosts lol)

Btw how do you get so much traffic to your levels? Maybe the music levels?

@SvennoJ

I liked it the way I played it but I thought it was too tedious to meet your design standards. LOL.  I didn't do what you said so it was a touch to repetitive the way I beat it.  Great level, especially the way you described it. :) Keep 'em coming.

Seriously, don't feel obligated to beat my 20 second level the first 10 seconds are a little crazy. If you do stick it out let me know if you actually enjoyed it or if it was simply out of "duty". LOL

trbrown78 said:

@SvennoJ

I liked it the way I played it but I thought it was too tedious to meet your design standards. LOL.  I didn't do what you said so it was a touch to repetitive the way I beat it.  Great level, especially the way you described it. :) Keep 'em coming.

Seriously, don't feel obligated to beat my 20 second level the first 10 seconds are a little crazy. If you do stick it out let me know if you actually enjoyed it or if it was simply out of "duty". LOL

I tried, probably a 100 times of 4 sec avg per attempt. I didn't get further than bouncing on the ice block a few times. I have the suspicion I'm supposed to drop the trampoline on the thwomp to use it to get to the yellow walkway. I have no clue how to drop it correctly, and it takes on avg 10 tries to even get to the p-switch with trampoline in hand.
2 people already beat it though, only 33 attempts between them. At least I know not to attempt their levels lol. I guess I tried over a 100 times, it's at 2/205 now. No wonder I have a y-button impression in my thumb!

It was fun to try since it restarts quickly, yet I didn't get any better at it in the end.

I automatically skip levels that make use of trampolines, they're by far the most obnoxious item in Super Mario Maker. They just don't work properly, I don't know how Nintendo could put such a glitchy/random item in their game.

We wouldn't get nearly as many boring automatic levels if it wasn't for the trampoline.

Nintendo also needs to put heavy limits on people with few stars. You shouldn't be able to use more than 10 enemies if you don't have 50 stars.

Honestly, I would just perma-ban people from this game if they make a lot of levels with few stars compared to the amount of people who played it ratio. And I'd brick their Wii U cause fuck them!

I skip the following levels right away:

- When they use trampolines

- Underwater levels

- Scrolling levels

- Levels where I die unfairly even once

- Levels where enemies are just spammed everywhere

- Automatic levels

- Levels that make heavy use of Hammer Bros. or squids.

Safe to say that I skip around 100 levels per every 100 Mario challenge.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
trbrown78 said:

@SvennoJ

I tried, probably a 100 times of 4 sec avg per attempt. I didn't get further than bouncing on the ice block a few times. I have the suspicion I'm supposed to drop the trampoline on the thwomp to use it to get to the yellow walkway. I have no clue how to drop it correctly, and it takes on avg 10 tries to even get to the p-switch with trampoline in hand.
2 people already beat it though, only 33 attempts between them. At least I know not to attempt their levels lol. I guess I tried over a 100 times, it's at 2/205 now. No wonder I have a y-button impression in my thumb!

It was fun to try since it restarts quickly, yet I didn't get any better at it in the end.

1. Donut Block
  2. Stone Block with Wings
  3. Trampoline over Saws
  4. Back to Stone Block with Wings
  5. Jump off P-Switch(this part requires timing. You can't just hold down jump like you can for a turtle shell, you must actually jump off the P-Switch at the right time)
  6. Spin Jump off the Ice Block...
  7. Onto Thwomp (this causes no damage to mario), you will probably end up spin jumping on him at least twice while you ride him to solid footing
  8. The rest would come natural to someone of your skills - I knew the first part was really hard... Savage even :)

I actually feel guilty you tried it so many times. LOL. I wish it would have been on Bowser Showdown in Lavatown. LOL. You need to beat that one one day.  I could care less if you starred it I just want you to muscle through it for some reason. :)  Talk to you later.

I hope Nintendo remove all automatic levels. Also levels with tons of enemies on the start screen.

Anyone here complete 100 lives challenge on hard difficulty? Looks like it's impossible in current conditions.

trbrown78 said:
  1. Donut Block
  2. Stone Block with Wings
  3. Trampoline over Saws
  4. Back to Stone Block with Wings
  5. Jump off P-Switch(this part requires timing. You can't just hold down jump like you can for a turtle shell, you must actually jump off the P-Switch at the right time)
  6. Spin Jump off the Ice Block...
  7. Onto Thwomp (this causes no damage to mario), you will probably end up spin jumping on him at least twice while you ride him to solid footing
  8. The rest would come natural to someone of your skills - I knew the first part was really hard... Savage even :)

I actually feel guilty you tried it so many times. LOL. I wish it would have been on Bowser Showdown in Lavatown. LOL. You need to beat that one one day.  I could care less if you starred it I just want you to muscle through it for some reason. :)  Talk to you later.

I did Donut block, Stone block with Wings, (grab trampoline while jumping over saws yet that's pointless I see), Jump of p-switch,  Jump on the ice block. Which should have had me in perfect place for 7. Yet for the live of me Mario will not spin jump off the ice block. Step 6 was a fail for me. So I was trying to drop the trampoline onto the thwomp, figuring you can't spin jump from ice.
It's easy to repeat something that only takes 3-5 seconds! (to fail) With a longer level I have far less patience and usually download it to the editor to continue where I was. It's the hammer bros and bowsers that put me off to try it all in one go.

Samus Aran said:

I automatically skip levels that make use of trampolines, they're by far the most obnoxious item in Super Mario Maker. They just don't work properly, I don't know how Nintendo could put such a glitchy/random item in their game.

We wouldn't get nearly as many boring automatic levels if it wasn't for the trampoline.

Nintendo also needs to put heavy limits on people with few stars. You shouldn't be able to use more than 10 enemies if you don't have 50 stars.

Honestly, I would just perma-ban people from this game if they make a lot of levels with few stars compared to the amount of people who played it ratio. And I'd brick their Wii U cause fuck them!

- Underwater levels

- Scrolling levels

- Automatic levels

Haha sorry you had to play my time paradox level. Underwater and trampolines :/

I don't like those very much either, therefore a different take on the underwater level. No squids and most of the enemies underwater self destruct plus it's only a short swim. And yeah the trampolines. I sometimes need them as there is no other alternative to stop the player from advancing forward and Yoshi can't climb vines unfortunately. I have to use them as an alternative to keys. (But you can also blast your way out without using the trampolines) I only use them when there is no danger and you have plenty of time to try to get the jump to stick, damn timing.

In my other puzzle levels you don't use them yourself, but have to place them to divert a bomb or launcher. Placing is still finicky, just drop the damn thing straight down. Kinda ridiculous the best way to place them is to throw them straight up...

I also don't like blind jumps, especially falling down having to land on small platform you can't see. I guess that falls under unfair deaths.

I gave up on the 100 mario challenges, it's just skip skip skip, try, crap, skip, skip, skip.

SvennoJ said:
Samus Aran said:

- Underwater levels

- Scrolling levels

- Automatic levels

Haha sorry you had to play my time paradox level. Underwater and trampolines :/

I don't like those very much either, therefore a different take on the underwater level. No squids and most of the enemies underwater self destruct plus it's only a short swim. And yeah the trampolines. I sometimes need them as there is no other alternative to stop the player from advancing forward and Yoshi can't climb vines unfortunately. I have to use them as an alternative to keys. (But you can also blast your way out without using the trampolines) I only use them when there is no danger and you have plenty of time to try to get the jump to stick, damn timing.

In my other puzzle levels you don't use them yourself, but have to place them to divert a bomb or launcher. Placing is still finicky, just drop the damn thing straight down. Kinda ridiculous the best way to place them is to throw them straight up...

I also don't like blind jumps, especially falling down having to land on small platform you can't see. I guess that falls under unfair deaths.

I gave up on the 100 mario challenges, it's just skip skip skip, try, crap, skip, skip, skip.

I don't mind trampolines in a safe environment and your underwater sections were alright. They didn't annoy me. Just the resets when you go too far away from yoshi or a trampoline are annoying.