By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Fantastic Four (2015) - Now 8%(!) on Rotten Tomatoes

Fantastic Flop

Around the Network

This is Fox people,Fox.The same company who constantly screw up X-men and have messed up the first to F4 movies and DD.

Robert_Downey_Jr. said:
CharlieBradburry said:

Avengers is far better!

yeah tired of people condeming an entire genre of film.  Do people say "why do we need another gangster film?" or "why do we need another spy thriller?"  Superhero movies are even broader than those so I'm not sure why anyone would ask for the entire genre of film to stop being made or lump them all together with one adjective.

I don't think we need any more RomComs...

In terms of timing for this move, sure, they had to do it to keep the rights. But I think enough water had passed under the bridge to make it timely for Fox to have another go at F4. So I don't think it was a totally cynical move purely to keep the rights out of Marvel's hands; it was only half cynical.

Does Fox have the will to wait another 7 years and see if they can make it 3rd time lucky?

Not for creators of beloved stories/characters: Make sure you have a clause in your rights contract that says if a movie is trash (<15% Rotten Tomatoes for instance) and fails at the box office the rights revert to you immediately. Seriously, if I was Marvel I would be looking to sue Fox over this depth of failure for doing irreparable harm to a valuable franchise. Fox might have the movie rights, but Marvel still owns the brand and you can't let such huge damage to the brand go by with a shrug of the shoulders.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
Robert_Downey_Jr. said:

yeah tired of people condeming an entire genre of film.  Do people say "why do we need another gangster film?" or "why do we need another spy thriller?"  Superhero movies are even broader than those so I'm not sure why anyone would ask for the entire genre of film to stop being made or lump them all together with one adjective.

I don't think we need any more RomComs...

In terms of timing for this move, sure, they had to do it to keep the rights. But I think enough water had passed under the bridge to make it timely for Fox to have another go at F4. So I don't think it was a totally cynical move purely to keep the rights out of Marvel's hands; it was only half cynical.

Does Fox have the will to wait another 7 years and see if they can make it 3rd time lucky?

Not for creators of beloved stories/characters: Make sure you have a clause in your rights contract that says if a movie is trash (<15% Rotten Tomatoes for instance) and fails at the box office the rights revert to you immediately. Seriously, if I was Marvel I would be looking to sue Fox over this depth of failure for doing irreparable harm to a valuable franchise. Fox might have the movie rights, but Marvel still owns the brand and you can't let such huge damage to the brand go by with a shrug of the shoulders.

Not to mention that now some of the more casual fans who don't know about the different owners are thinking Marvel Studios has slipped or that Marvel movies in general can be terrible.  This hurts the MCU brand for those who only look at the Marvel logo before the film and think they're all the same.

I am Iron Man

Abun said:
This is Fox people,Fox.The same company who constantly screw up X-men and have messed up the first to F4 movies and DD.

Fox have a weird relationship with X-men, all super films based on Marvel are odd, as they aren't quite Marvel Universe (616) versions. So for fans it's always off slightly.

Fox did a good job with X-men 2, First Class and DoFP but did not so well with the others. DoFP infact was a very good adaption of the original story and included good changes to fit. Ignoring the fact it was Wolverine who went back no Kitty and Rachel was nowhere to be found though.

Yet FF is an odd one, they seem hell bent on not making Doom, well, Doom. We had weird electric powers in the first lot and what the hell this was is beyond me. Doom is meant to be science and magic, not special powers. 

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
Robert_Downey_Jr. said:
DraconianAC said:
From a perspective of an non-fan of the fantastic 4, and being asked to watch this from a friend, I will say that I went in with low expectations, and I found it entertaining.. I don't remember the origin story all that well and I have no attachment to any of the characters. I do remember a little bit of the last two movies, and I'll say those felt pretty lame after watching them on cable; hence, I all I can say is that going in with low expectations to anything will probably net you an entertaining time.

I can't let this go.  You have to REALLY low standards.  I'm fine with changing source material (IM3 and AoU are AWESOME!) but this was a boring lab test centric movie with no fun or soul.  It's just a terribly directed, acted, and written film.

Haha! that's funny, because I actually thought I was going to hate it, but I found it was a better setup then the previous version that was done a few years back. Granted that one has to just turn off one's brain (not question the logic) for most of these hollywood super hero movies.