By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do Wii U owners feel disappointed?

Einsam_Delphin said:
Unless you bought it blindly then no one should feel disappointed me thinks. In the end you only have yourself to blame if you bought a console without the games actually being there.

While true that would mean no one would buy a console until its built up a good selection of software. I think the normal behaviour is to buy when a console has a few games you want and then expect perhaps more such games in the future with a reasonable selection to choose from. Clearly for wii u the selection of major games is quite small and third party games are mainly weak versions due to the weak hardware or don't exist at all.

I can see where you are coming from though and I think the bulk of console sales come when the console has reached a mass market price point with a wide selection of software. If wii u owners had followed those rules going by the satisfaction rate then perhaps the wii u would have sold a third of its current numbers.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
midrange said:
Miyamotoo said:
Pavolink said:
midrange said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
Unless you bought it blindly then no one should feel disappointed me thinks. In the end you only have yourself to blame if you bought a console without the games actually being there.

Games were promised, games were delayed, games were cancelled, now games have slowed to a trickle. How could anyone anticipate this after Nintendo's success with the wii?

Basically, this. No consumer is to blame when it was Nintendo the one that failed what they promised: better third party support and no droughts because they were ready for HD development. There's no excuse for their errors, and sales has prove that.

No they were not ready for HD development, they largle underestimated HD development.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/07/08/miyamoto-admits-nintendo-underestimated-the-switch-to-hd/

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/07/12/shigeru-miyamoto-discusses-what-went-wrong-with-the-wii-u-and-his-hopes-for-the-future/

The consumer isn't to blame for that though. HD certainly took a toll on ps3 games, and nintendo was foolish to underestimate it

Off course, all Wii U problems are only made by Nintendo. I just stated that they were not ready for HD development (Pavolink stated that they were) and that's just one of Wii U problems.

true, although I'm struggling to figure out whether he was refering to Nintendo or third party support when he said that

Miyamotoo said:
midrange said:
Miyamotoo said:
Pavolink said:
midrange said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

Games were promised, games were delayed, games were cancelled, now games have slowed to a trickle. How could anyone anticipate this after Nintendo's success with the wii?

Basically, this. No consumer is to blame when it was Nintendo the one that failed what they promised: better third party support and no droughts because they were ready for HD development. There's no excuse for their errors, and sales has prove that.

No they were not ready for HD development, they largle underestimated HD development.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/07/08/miyamoto-admits-nintendo-underestimated-the-switch-to-hd/

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/07/12/shigeru-miyamoto-discusses-what-went-wrong-with-the-wii-u-and-his-hopes-for-the-future/

The consumer isn't to blame for that though. HD certainly took a toll on ps3 games, and nintendo was foolish to underestimate it

Off course, all Wii U problems are only made by Nintendo. I just stated that they were not ready for HD development (Pavolink stated that they were) and that's just one of Wii U problems.

I think Pavolink was stating that Nintendo claimed they were ready then once a bunch of games got delayed all of a sudden they weren't ready anymore.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Mummelmann said:

Great post. Reflects on a lot of the things that made me a true PC gamer in the 7th gen, I thought I had lost interest in gaming overall but it turns out I was simply on the wrong platform(s) as the consoles couldn't give me the experiences I wanted.

Thanks. Yes it's a strange feeling. It's funny that you felt like that in the 7th gen. I myself was actually lured back into console gaming decisively at the start of the 7th gen, but I really am a sucker for new and different concepts it seems. I could never really explain it objectively, but like the 5th and unlike how I feel about the 8th, the 7th gen to me just had 'it'.

Pavolink said:

Bravo. You said exactly what many of us believes!

A post from the heart .

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Miyamotoo said:
midrange said:
Miyamotoo said:
Pavolink said:
midrange said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

I think Pavolink was stating that Nintendo claimed they were ready then once a bunch of games got delayed all of a sudden they weren't ready anymore.

Pikmin was first game that was delayed, they wanted to be launch title but after several delays because HD development problems they released it in July.

Well i am disappointed to some degree.

1. Nintendo is far to focused on Mario nowadays. There where always Mario games. But it has become to much. There are so many other Nintendo IP's and Splatoon shows they still can make new IP's.

2. I like platformers. But i also like other games. Stuff Nintendo usually had, not only F-Zero and Metroid. Not even neccesarily action packed titles. Might actually have been something like an Endless Ocean 3 (so published by Nintendo). That could have been a perfect fit for Wii U. But games like 1080° are missing since Gamecube and no one at Nintendo delivers something like Blast Corps.
You could say i'm still missing the diversity Nintendo once had.

captain carot said:

1. Nintendo is far to focused on Mario nowadays. There where always Mario games. But it has become to much. There are so many other Nintendo IP's and Splatoon shows they still can make new IP's.

2. I like platformers. But i also like other games. Stuff Nintendo usually had, not only F-Zero and Metroid. Not even neccesarily action packed titles. Might actually have been something like an Endless Ocean 3 (so published by Nintendo). That could have been a perfect fit for Wii U. But games like 1080° are missing since Gamecube and no one at Nintendo delivers something like Blast Corps.

This is a big point for me. Almost half of my wii u games are platformers and that's kind of disheartening seeing as how I want to try other kinds of games

captain carot said:

Actually I think this gen we have less Mario games than previous.

Yes, it is dissapointing .... not because of NX teasing, but due to the fact that they´re apparently abandoning development for the WiiU in less than three years. It seems that we won´t have anything new to play besides mid-2016, after barely 3 1/2 years in the market. Dissapointing.