By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why are Wii games so freakin' expensive??

Got a Wii for Brawl parties. Brawl was a decent price. 

Never got a chance to play games like Xenoblade, Last Story, and Skyward Sword; so I wanted to buy them. 

Last story is like $30 but Skyward Sword is like $55 and Xenoblade is $80. 

Wtf.

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

Around the Network

Xenoblade for the Wii is really rare, so stores take advantage of that. I don't knoow about SS, I bought Skyward Sword Special edition for 15€ new.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

ps3-sales! said:

Got a Wii for Brawl parties. Brawl was a decent price. 

Never got a chance to play games like Xenoblade, Last Story, and Skyward Sword; so I wanted to buy them. 

Last story is like $30 but Skyward Sword is like $55 and Xenoblade is $80. 

Wtf.

@Bolded

@ Skyward Sword 

Nintendo artificially maintains high prices for their games. The used market is influenced by the prior equillibrium in the new market. 

Xenoblade was 80?Strange, last time i saw, it was 50 dollars, and wasnt that long ago.
But the prices are high because of rarity, specially games like xenoblade, which had a limited run and was sold only on gamestop

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Part of it is rarity, and the other part is Nintendo seems to believe that their games don't decrease in value (They should, Nintendo isn't special). It sucks, and it's why I don't purchase a whole lot of Nintendo titles outside of the ones I find essential. However, from a business prospective it does work in their favor on bigger titles.

Around the Network

The DS has this same issue. I checked Mario Kart DS on amazon and for example is $30, and some pokemon games go for $40-50+

Nothing new. Always been like that for Nintendo games. Heck look at the value of Nintendo 64 games on Videogame.pricecharting.com
If you bought n64 games (those by Nintendo) back then and still have them with their box, you made money. Since 2010-11 approximately, the average price for n64 games has more than doubbled. Same goes for Gamecube games, very high value for an average Nintendo made game. Back then gamers thought it was a kid console so didn't bother but now they realize that in term of quality games, nothing beat those games while all those shooter/action/sport games are worth nothing now. People don't go back to these because newer version with better technical features now exist. Nintendo games are always unique. Play Station consoles have amazing RPGs that had keep good value and a few first party titles as well but that's about it.

Collectors still don't realize at the moment they should buy 3ds and especially WiiU games cheap. Nintendo don't really bother producing newer copies since people can buy them digital. Starfox 3ds for instance have gone from 40$ for a new copy to 15$ at some point on eBay. Now a used copy will cost you 40$ again. Because of all the good games and its terrible sales, you can be sure the WiiU will be sort of a holygrail for collector one day. Pikmin 3 for instance is already super expansive.

One of the main reasons I don't have a Nintendo device as a "second console". I came close to buying a Wii when the price dropped but then I saw the prices of the games I wanted to play and I was all like,"nah, dog, nah."

Thanks, Nintendo.

Xenoblade's price is high because not a whole lot of copies were made compared to other games, and the demand of Xenoblade has greatly risen with XCX coming soon, and the inclusion of Shulk in Smash.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Not too many people bought those games when they came out as the Wii was already falling favor rather harshly. Naturally, this led to not many copies of those getting produced and to their rarity nowadays.

I hope they come out on the Wii U as downloadable games, as this would make the whole problem much easier.