By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy 7 remake's combat will have "dramatic changes"

Are you excited to see the combat system change?

Yes 112 28.94%

I will wait and see 130 33.59%

No 145 37.47%

Total:387

Got a bad feeling about this. Even if it's turn-based, the wire-fu-esque combat sequences in Advent Children were just silly looking.

Around the Network
Nem said:

In response to your previous post. I disagree. Auto-attack was all i needed. Heal paradigm and tank paradigm. Got through everything until the last open area in the big planet where i finally gave up out of boredom. I had fallen asleep twice while playing it.

Now, as for your point on the post i'm quoting and other people i have to say you have completely backwards. Do you find FF7 boring? If you do, the you probably aren't one of the people that clamored for a remake for years and years. The new FF is FFXV. FF7 is a classic game that has its loyal fanbase.  

This game should be aimed at the people who love it. It should be as much as possible the same game taking advantage of new sound and graphics technology, maybe even voice acting. But to completely make it a game in the line of FFXIII and FFXV is to disrespect its legacy. Regardless of how you feel about turn-based, turn-based is what this game is. To make it ARPG is to no longer be making a remake of FF7.

Auto-attack didn't do it for me and it sure as hell won't do it for a lot of others seeing as how I was one of the more seasoned RPG gamers that even had hurdles on EASY mode ... 

FFXIII took way more strategy than the last couple FF games and it also discouraged players from grinding too to make it more balanced ... (In fact I actually think that one of the main reasons why FFXIII is such a turn off is because it's harder than the average FF game since many would desire to be overly overpowered in a decent amount of time rather than finding themselves only been able to scrape by when halfway through the game.)

I do not find FFVII boring if anything it's one of my top 10 favourite games of all time and maybe even top 5 but even I know of it's dated mechanics and technical limitations too and I would most certainly not let it fly today when my standards are much higher today. I certainly did not make cries to try and get the remake like many others did but that does not mean I did not have a desire for it but Square should sell to new customers when you look at a franchise like mario trying to do just that to sustain itself ...

Why can't the game garner BOTH ?! Getting new people AND old fans isn't hard when it is the latter who will easily settle while the former is harder to appeal to. How would FFXIII's battle system be disrespectful for FFVII when they have more similarities than differences ? Just because it matches the original less doesn't mean it isn't FFVII when the original vision for it belongs to it's CREATORS and NOT it's first release ... 

Turn-based has had it's time to shine for 4 generations STRIAGHT already. Turn-based isn't popular on consoles anymore so it's time to get with the program otherwise SE will find themselves in a harder spot since staying true to the shrinking original fanbase will get them nowhere ... 

thatguymarco said:
sc94597 said:
People saying turn-based combat is a thing of the past make me sad. I still play games with turn-based combat that feel fresh and new.

It's really just because most games of the genre never dropped the stupid archaic shit that make JRPGs hard to enjoy for most people. Random Encounters be damned. It also could be because gaming has grown quite a bit, and now people find the premise of taking turns to attack is, well, fucking stupid, from a "sense" aspect in a game's world, I mean, or maybe because most people like to feel like they're actually playing instead of patiently scrolling through menus, who really knows, but one thing it's for certain, those guys are right, Turn-Based is a thing of the past unless something happens that revolutionizes the game mechanic and makes it fun to people that don't love it already.

Random encounters =/= turn based. Anyway an action game is not a substitute for a strategy game. I don't often hear people say chess is so archaic we should play football instead, for example. 

Appealing to people who aren't fans of a certain playstyle has the issue of possibly alienating those who enjoyed said playstyle. Both turnbased and real time RPGs have their niches to target even today .

sc94597 said:

Random encounters =/= turn based. Anyway an action game is not a substitute for a strategy game. I don't often hear people say chess is so archaic we should play football instead, for example. 

Appealing to people who aren't fans of a certain playstyle has the issue of possibly alienating those who enjoyed said playstyle. Both turnbased and real time RPGs have their niches to target even today .

@Bold No but it's certainly an annoying common trait amongst them ...

Who's to say that an action game can't have some strategy in it. Take a look at From Software RPGs and there are turn-based RPGs out there that are practically devoid of strategy too ... 

the-pi-guy said:

Personally I found (SMRPG>)FFX>FFX-2>FFXII>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>FFXIII

Didn't enjoy it a bit.  

I can't disagree more about the sentiment that turn based being archaic.  Some implementations of it might be archaic, but as a whole, and personally I find it more enjoyable than a lot of other gameplay mechanics.  The notion that it's outdated is like saying board games are outdated, or movies are outdated.  Look at the Last of Us, look at the new gen, we don't need movies anymore!  We can do that in real time now.  

The reality is that those are different experiences, but they aren't bad.  They might not be your preference, and black and white movies for the most part might be outdated, but they can still use black and white as a theme to accent the movie.  Which people might very well love to see a brand new black and white movie.  

ARPG is definitely not what I want to see.  I certainly find those types of games enjoyable, but it's not what most people have been asking for all these years, it's not what I've been looking forward to.  

I think both sides are being too dramatic.  

It could be a good improvement, but like I said turn based isn't archaic.  

I think FFVII should get some changes made to be a better game, but not a different game I guess.  

Dramatic changes, we just don't know what he has in mind.  Personally I want it to be a change that still makes it absolutely feel like Final Fantasy VII, rather than "they made a new Final Fantasy game, with the same characters as the 7th game."

No matter what they do, it's going to be a Final Fantasy game, there's a lot of variance in the series for gameplay.  

Actually what I wouldn't mind is someone attempting to try to make game modes for both.  Have the vast majority of the core game be a certain set, with two different sets of gameplay.  One that has the dramatic changes, and maybe one that doesn't.  That sounds silly, to be honest though.  

You WANT it to be more like FFVII yet you didn't even BEAT the original yet ?! -_-

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:

I want it to be improved.  Not different.  

But improved is different ... 

if they make it like 13 or 15 i won't be buying it all the ff's have sucked since 10. 10 was ok but the over all game was meh 9 and below were all excellent games IMO

the-pi-guy said:

It's complicated.  

I don't want something completely brand new, I want something that keeps the core of the original and builds on it. 

It really is ...

You want the core but you have yet to completely experience it ... 

You agree more with the older fans however they likely have more of a resolve than you do to wish for that vision ...

If you were able to waive Super Mario RPG on a technical standpoint to enjoy it what's stopping you from doing the same with FFVII ?

If you can't look past it's graphics, what makes you think that you'll find beauty in the remake ? 

It's just not logical to me ...

"Wait and see" situation.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

turn based was the life for ff to me once the games lost the turn based combat i failed to enjoy them anymore 13 was utter shit and i imgaine 15 will be also hence me not buying a ps4 i have gone totally over to pc now and i get many turn based yummy treats