By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Piracy affects PSP sales? Pfft! You're crazy!

Kasz216 said:
kingofwale said:
Kasz216 said:
kingofwale said:
It doesn't affect PSP sales... it affects GAME sales.

I disagree. I think it greatly inflates PSP sales... as I've said. Just about everyone I know who has a PSP bought it soley for the fact that they could hack it to get games for free and to use it as a portable emulator to play their pirated roms on.

I happen to work at a Retail store and most people I've talked to (who bought a PSP) bought it for music feature. (yes, more so than the game feature itself)

Yes, they will probably discover the CF after a while, but to say people automatically know about the pirated rom is like saying how everyone who bought a Wii is going to get Wiikey the very next day.

Wait... so you think people are going to say to you... a random stranger. "Yes I'm buying this PSP to steal games from hardworking indivduals."

have you worked at a retail before? I've got more people asking me how to convert their Kazaa downloads than people asking me how to buy music from ITune.

I have people calling me crazy because he couldn't play his illegally download movie on Ipods. 

And yes, people do ask me how to load illegal ISO on PSP, but most people don't even know PSP can do that, until after owning it. And no, I don't go and tell people how to mod their PSP 

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
Around the Network

Interesting thing with software on computers. Not really too relative but thought you might find it interesting.

Maya (3d program), back when it was owned by alias one of the things that helped it become so successful was how easy it was to pirate. So people would learn there software and want to use it when they got into the industry. They wanted this to happen as it made more people use and know there product.

Its a $6000 program.

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."

Your theories are the worst kind of popular tripe, your methods are sloppy, and your conclusions are highly questionable! You are a poor scientist. Especially if you think the moon landing was faked.

ioi + 1
kingofwale said:
Kasz216 said:
kingofwale said:
Kasz216 said:
kingofwale said:
It doesn't affect PSP sales... it affects GAME sales.

I disagree. I think it greatly inflates PSP sales... as I've said. Just about everyone I know who has a PSP bought it soley for the fact that they could hack it to get games for free and to use it as a portable emulator to play their pirated roms on.

I happen to work at a Retail store and most people I've talked to (who bought a PSP) bought it for music feature. (yes, more so than the game feature itself)

Yes, they will probably discover the CF after a while, but to say people automatically know about the pirated rom is like saying how everyone who bought a Wii is going to get Wiikey the very next day.

Wait... so you think people are going to say to you... a random stranger. "Yes I'm buying this PSP to steal games from hardworking indivduals."

have you worked at a retail before? I've got more people asking me how to convert their Kazaa downloads than people asking me how to buy music from ITune.

I have people calling me crazy because he couldn't play his illegally download movie on Ipods.

And yes, people do ask me how to load illegal ISO on PSP, but most people don't even know PSP can do that, until after owning it. And no, I don't go and tell people how to mod their PSP

Yes... and yeah some people are idiots. I saw some lady in another deparment try and return clothes that she bought over a year ago. (They gave her store credit, being a pain in the ass really gets you too far in this world.)

I think most people are smart enough to not admit to random strangers they plan to commit copyright infringement.

Let alone at Best Buy where they take your Name and Address.

Kasz216 said:
Lone_Canis_Lupus said:
Kasz216 said:
I'll put it this way. Look at credible studies on media piracy. (aka not ones that are just... they downloaded 10 copies that means we lost 600 dollars!)

You'll see that the results show their isn't a statistcal differnece from zero. In other words, piracy doesn't really effect media sales. While it lowers some peoples purchases who buy games... it also gets people who wouldn't buy games to buy hardware. It Also gets people who wouldn't buy games to buy hardware, get enthused about a medium they weren't as familiar with before and start buying the real product.

One Microsoft employee's model is "Don't pirate, but if you do pirate... pirate us." because they know if they aren't going to make a sale anyway it benfits them to have the pirates be used to their software.

Look, forget the hardware for a minute Kasz, I'm talking STRICTLY about software and pirating. People complain about the PSP sales being so low, but they ignore the fact of just how much games are pirated. I'm talking about why software sales are low, not about the hardware sales. I'm giving a reason to people about why the software sales are low.

And I'm saying I don't thing software sales are low. I think they are about exactly where they should be. If you removed piracy from the equation there wouldn't be a statistically significant change... those people who aren't buying PSP games still wouldn't be buying PS games.

So, you're saying people that pirate wouldn't buy a PSP anyway? That makes it seem like the games really aren't that important to them. That's like saying people that steal a HDTV still wouldn't buy it even if they had the money for it. If people couldn't pirate, it wouldn't scare them away from buying games with their own money if they could and really wanted to.

PSN: Lone_Canis_Lupus

Kasz216 said:
Lone_Canis_Lupus said:
Kasz216 said:
I'll put it this way. Look at credible studies on media piracy. (aka not ones that are just... they downloaded 10 copies that means we lost 600 dollars!)

You'll see that the results show their isn't a statistcal differnece from zero. In other words, piracy doesn't really effect media sales. While it lowers some peoples purchases who buy games... it also gets people who wouldn't buy games to buy hardware. It Also gets people who wouldn't buy games to buy hardware, get enthused about a medium they weren't as familiar with before and start buying the real product.

One Microsoft employee's model is "Don't pirate, but if you do pirate... pirate us." because they know if they aren't going to make a sale anyway it benfits them to have the pirates be used to their software.

Look, forget the hardware for a minute Kasz, I'm talking STRICTLY about software and pirating. People complain about the PSP sales being so low, but they ignore the fact of just how much games are pirated. I'm talking about why software sales are low, not about the hardware sales. I'm giving a reason to people about why the software sales are low.

And I'm saying I don't thing software sales are low. I think they are about exactly where they should be. If you removed piracy from the equation there wouldn't be a statistically significant change... those people who aren't buying PSP games still wouldn't be buying PSP games. The same goes for DS, Wii, and just about any other users.

That doesn't make what they do "right" or anything though. So don't think i'm condoning piracy.

I asume those number are domestic but if not the blackmarket would make a dent in sales. (a pretty big one)

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."

Your theories are the worst kind of popular tripe, your methods are sloppy, and your conclusions are highly questionable! You are a poor scientist. Especially if you think the moon landing was faked.

ioi + 1
Around the Network
kenzomatic said:
Kasz216 said:
Lone_Canis_Lupus said:
Kasz216 said:

And I'm saying I don't thing software sales are low. I think they are about exactly where they should be. If you removed piracy from the equation there wouldn't be a statistically significant change... those people who aren't buying PSP games still wouldn't be buying PSP games. The same goes for DS, Wii, and just about any other users.

That doesn't make what they do "right" or anything though. So don't think i'm condoning piracy.

I asume those number are domestic but if not the blackmarket would make a dent in sales. (a pretty big one)

Oh yeah. I'm talking just straight domestic piracy. Black Market piracy is definitly damaging.

>I think most people are smart enough to not admit to random strangers they plan to commit copyright infringement. Let alone at Best Buy where they take your Name and Address.

Bestbuy doesn't take your name and address UNLESS you are returning something. Unlike some store that needs your driver's license when you trade in a game.

I can tell who mods their PSP and who doesn't easily, people who comes in and grab a PSP without getting a game or asking for any help, Those are the people who mods their PSP... frankly, those people are no more than 20% of total PSP buyers.

I didn't even know you can mod your psp until about 1 and half years into my PSP ownership

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
kingofwale said:
>I think most people are smart enough to not admit to random strangers they plan to commit copyright infringement. Let alone at Best Buy where they take your Name and Address.

Bestbuy doesn't take your name and address UNLESS you are returning something. Unlike some store that needs your driver's license when you trade in a game.

That's weird. My best buy asks me for my name every time I go in the store and got my address one of the first times i went there.

I've never returned anything to Best Buy. Regardless it's not like pirates don't end up buying games. My friends say they'd of never bought PSP's if they couldn't pirate it... but they still do end up eventually buying some games for whatever reason.  One did even when he bought it.  Likely do to subconsious guilt.

This thread has the worst overall use of English that I've seen (mostly in punctuation, spelling of basic words, or the use of the wrong homophones...if there are non-native speakers involved, I don't mean to rag on you; good job overall).

Loud_Hot_White_Box said:

This thread has the worst overall use of English that I've seen (mostly in punctuation, spelling of basic words, or the use of the wrong homophones...if there are non-native speakers involved, I don't mean to rag on you; good job overall).

English never was my best subject.

PSN: Lone_Canis_Lupus