By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Could The NX Be Something Completely Leftfield?

NX is a full console, and it is confirmed to come out in 2016 to all but the blind.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Around the Network
Eddie_Raja said:
NX is a full console, and it is confirmed to come out in 2016 to all but the blind.

That doesn't mean it isn't a portable console and/or there isn't a portable NX. 

I doubt Square-Enix gives two craps about the console NX to be honest, they're eying that portable userbase that it will have in Japan, that's why they're so eager to announce Dragon Quest XI for it. 

Eddie_Raja said:

Why do you feel so threatened by this, to the point of insulting someone with an idea? If it could play WiiU games via remote, become a new WiiU controller when at home, and play all 3DS games natively, then the WiiU could continue getting support and the 3DS games would find a new home. You'd have both a console and a handheld in one for a fraction of the price of a entirely new console. I would also imagine it would be more powerful than a 3DS so you'd likely also get games created specifically for the new console/handheld. You'd have a three in one system with full backward and forward compatibility.

The PS5 Exists. 

The NX could be a Wii U without an optical drive.

The NX may have a portable version, but the patent document you just referenced (and the earlier report of a controller with screen and system without discs) explicitly does not support this. The patent linked to hear is for a controller, and one without internal GPU and game data.

Around the Network
TheLastStarFighter said:
The NX may have a portable version, but the patent document you just referenced (and the earlier report of a controller with screen and system without discs) explicitly does not support this. The patent linked to hear is for a controller, and one without internal GPU and game data.

Unlikely Nintendo is dumb enough to leak the NX in a patent like that. They had to know that would get scooped up by the gaming press fairly quickly. 

There may be elements of that patent that they use, but I doubt that's literally the whole concept. 

well if it's as good as leftism is bound to be a very good console.

Soundwave said:
TheLastStarFighter said:

Unlikely Nintendo is dumb enough to leak the NX in a patent like that. They had to know that would get scooped up by the gaming press fairly quickly. 

There may be elements of that patent that they use, but I doubt that's literally the whole concept. 

Obviously it's not complete, nor exact. But I am very confident based on the patents that there will clearly be a home console NX with a separate controller. That layout is quite explicit in the designs.

TheLastStarFighter said:
Soundwave said:

Obviously it's not complete, nor exact. But I am very confident based on the patents that there will clearly be a home console NX with a separate controller. That layout is quite explicit in the designs.

Even so, realistically the console will be the passenger in the NX equation, the portable is going to have to do all the driving. Nintendo (traditional) consoles just don't sell very well, and that console against a 3-4 year old PS4/X1 has little/no chance. 

Soundwave said:
TheLastStarFighter said:

Even so, realistically the console will be the passenger in the NX equation, the portable is going to have to do all the driving. Nintendo (traditional) consoles just don't sell very well, and that console against a 3-4 year old PS4/X1 has little/no chance. 

Not necessarily.  We really don't know what the vision is yet. I could see scenarios where the handheld is dropped entirely in favour of mobile devices.