By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony financial results Q1 FY15, 663 million $ profit, PS4 ships 3 million

MoHasanie said:
Tagged! Hopefully we see a nice profit.

not sure about this

for the full fy 2014 they made only 48 billon profit (with 1 quater of loss and most of the profits form the holiday quarter with 27.5 billion. the destiny quarter was strong, too with 22 billion)

for this fiscal year 2015 , they project a total of 40 billion operating profit for the game division

Around the Network
endy.G said:
MoHasanie said:

not sure about this

for the full fy 2014 they made only 48 billon profit (with 1 quater of loss and most of the profits form the holiday quarter with 27.5 billion. the destiny quarter was strong, too with 22 billion)

for this fiscal year 2015 , they project a total of 40 billion operating profit for the game division

I think he was talking overall, not just Gaming.

Teeqoz said:
endy.G said:

not sure about this

in that case a nice profit is given...

Teeqoz said:
MoHasanie said:

I reckon 300 million USD is the minimum, up to 500 million, which is rather good really.  Estimates peg Sony earnings at ~1.8 billion USD for the fiscal year, so they really have turned things around.

That would be good. I think they can make more than $1.8bn. In May, Hirai said Sony should make $2.7bn in profit for the fiscal year. So if they want to reach that target, they'd probably need to make more than $500m in the first quarter. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

endy.G said:
Teeqoz said:

in that case a nice profit is given...

Yes, I was talking about the whole of Sony. I have no idea about the gaming division but I'm sure they shipped loads of PS4s

Around the Network
MoHasanie said:
Teeqoz said:

I reckon 300 million USD is the minimum, up to 500 million, which is rather good really.  Estimates peg Sony earnings at ~1.8 billion USD for the fiscal year, so they really have turned things around.

That would be good. I think they can make more than $1.8bn. In May, Hirai said Sony should make $2.7bn in profit for the fiscal year. So if they want to reach that target, they'd probably need to make more than $500m in the first quarter. 

That's operating profit, not actual profit. In that same article, they also say they're expecting a net income (actual profit) of 140 Billion yen, or ~1.4 billion USD, but they are lowballing it so that they won't miss the forecast, which is why analysts are estimating 1.8 billion.

But you're right, they'll still probably make a bit more than 500 mill this q, but remember they (will) make quite a nice profit in the third (holiday) quarter, which makes up for slack in the rest of the year.

Teeqoz said:
MoHasanie said:

That's operating profit, not actual profit. In that same article, they also say they're expecting a net income (actual profit) of 140 Billion yen, or ~1.4 billion USD, but they are lowballing it so that they won't miss the forecast, which is why analysts are estimating 1.8 billion.

Ah, I misread it. It's good that they are forecasting a lower than expected profit, since it will be better for the stock price when the results come out. 

MoHasanie said:
Teeqoz said:

Ah, I misread it. It's good that they are forecasting a lower than expected profit, since it will be better for the stock price when the results come out. 

I certainly hope that's what will happen

Either way, Sony stock is set to perform great the next years as their profit will climb, and they increase their dividend. It's gonna be a nice few years

Teeqoz said:
MoHasanie said:

Either way, Sony stock is set to perform great the next years as their profit will climb, and they increase their dividend. It's gonna be a nice few years

Didn't they mention about fairly low profit this year building up to 4B+ by 2018? I remember reading something of the sort I think, Either way it would be nice to see them finally stop bleeding regulary and get back into good financially, The Yen is weak at moment so that also makes it a lot more of a up hill battle for them.

WoodenPints said:
Teeqoz said:

Didn't they mention about fairly low profit this year building up to 4B+ by 2018? I remember reading something of the sort I think, Either way it would be nice to see them finally stop bleeding regulary and get back into good financially, The Yen is weak at moment so that also makes it a lot more of a up hill battle for them.

Weak yen helps Sony, cause they make a lot of their profit outside of Japan. It'll make their profit look smaller in dollars, but it'll be bigger in Yen. In the same way, the strong dollar is hurting Microsoft and Apple and other big american companies that make lot of their money overseas.

And yeah, they are forecasting a 4.2 billion Operating Profit in fiscal year 2017 (ending march 30th, 2018), though that is operating profit, not net profit. Net profit might be around 3 Billion in the same year.