By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Ok, ok, what's the big deal with Resistance?!

Well I haven't played it, but from what I've seen, I don't understand what all the talk is about either. Just another next-gen FPS. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, just that I think there are so many others that are better.

Edit* Make that current gen. :p  

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Around the Network

The next one is meant to be a major improvement on the 1st so that should make the game epic :D

It is better than Gears.

Resistance > Gears for story. Gears lacked substance.

Resistance > Gears for weapon selection. The bow and the chainsaw were awesome but there are just so many weapons in Resistance

Resistance > Gears for multi player. The online co-op is a nice feature for Gears but it still didn't make up for the 4 on 4. 8 players was boring. Waiting till the round ended was extremely boring. (especially when you had 2 snipers left) The maps worked well for Gears size but I enjoyed Resistances better. I have to hand it to the curb stomp though.

Gears > Resistance for game play. Resistance was pretty easy. The AI wasn't that good.

That's my opinion of the 2 games. I enjoyed the play through on Gears once with a buddy but the game lacked re-playability for me. I hated the multiplayer. The 4 on 4 was so boring.

60 player-online

more dev time with PS3

8-player co-op seperate campaign & Insominac who never fail at making great games = RES2 Big deal

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Resistance actually is the reason I got into FPS. Before that, I couldn't stand them. I'd tried Halo (1 and 2), Call of Duty, etc, etc, etc. I don't know why I enjoyed it so much, maybe its the co-op and multiplayer, maybe the weapons. Considering all the great ideas (even if not all of them were as great in action) in the first one, I definitely have high hopes for R2.

Around the Network

What makes Resistance good is the functions of the weapons and the scale of some of the battles. RFOM is not the best FPS around, but a really solid one (for consoles) especially given the lack of great software during the first 6 months or so on the PS3.

thekitchensink: Have you ever played Gears? it's 6.5hours at MOST the first time through if the difficulty is normal. If it's put on Co-op the game will go even faster.

Leo-J: you are out of your mind if you think RFOM is 16 hours long. 8-9 hours max.

Maybe you guys are just slow....

I love resistance. It's great. One of the best games i've ever played. I've played halo, halo 2 and cod4 and I don't like them nearly as much as I do resistance. If you don't like it's just not for you. Everybody won't think it's good. No big deal (I don't care about resident evil, gran turismo or final fantasy which i'm sure lots of people love). I love the slow down with the sniper rifle, the rag dolls, the hedgehoge and backlash grenades, I love the slow parts that work to scare you, the auger and mostly the hailstrom guns, gunning down various chimera (with the carbine or tagging them with the bulleyes) and a stalker here and there, the mine trappers, shooting those explosive energy circle things (don't remember the name), running over chimera in my jeep thing, burning them alive with gas grenades, the feel of the game. Just everything. I'm sure you're not the first person to go meh and won't be the last though I can't understand it and think the opposite. To add I got this in october 2007 and have played through it four times.

easy. Everyone raved about resistance because when it was released, it was the only game worth playing on the PS3. If it didn't exist, the PS3 owners would have literally had nothing to play. So of course, everyone got resistance.

When you take it into today's context, it's just an average shooter.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Gears > Resistance for me.

I could give you all a list of reasons, but it'd just be the usual "it's fresher, looks better blah blah blah"

I think the reason you're not liking it so much madskillz, its like what squall_leonhart said, it's a first gen PS3 game rushed to make it to launch. Also, you've played Halo 3, Bioshock and COD4, games that were allowed to be finished and didn't have to meet a certain deadline (also they came out a year later), so I don't think you could compare it to them fairly.

If you pick up Resistance 2 on day 1, I think you'll have a better experience.

The problem is that you played Resistance about sixteen months too late.

Back in 2006, Pre-gears and pre-CoD4, this was really good.

If you played it when it came out, I'm most assured that you would have a totally different view on the game. But in the scope of CoD4, resistance isn't that great.

You really can't [and shouldn't] call games "forgettable" after a year of release.

That'd be like me saying that Gears of War is forgettable, since CoD4, and Rainbow Six Vegas, and Halo 3 were better. When Gears came out, it was great, but after these games came out, playing gears feels downright archaic.