By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dragon Quest XI Announced for PS4/3DS (2016) NX (Tentative)

Eikichi134 said:

“Additionally, we are also considering launching on Nintendo’s in development NX platform,” Square Enix said in a press release.
Read more at http://gematsu.com/2015/07/dragon-quest-xi-announced-ps4-3ds#KuO3ogQIOUPyTy58.99

Now stop with all that NX is getting DQ XI and be more serious, nothing is certain yet!

Well...that bit makes me think they actually may not know what NX is.  They wouldn't be the first to say they are considering NX without any devkit or really knowledge.  See Slightly Mad.  

Around the Network

While it is certainly conceivable that Square Enix already have dev kits, I do hope that the NX does not underwhelm in terms of power. While Nintendo has indicated previously that the NX will likely be less powerful than the PS4, it would be rather unfortunate if the NX is significantly less powerful, and an NX port would be almost unfeasible.

My current guess is that the NX will be about as powerful as an Xbox One, maybe a little bit more powerful so that it can run all the Nintendo peripherals. The Xbox One GPU is substantially cheaper than the PS4s, which I assume could be a decent cost saving measure for Nintendo.

AG80 said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Well, yeah I guess the 3DS version is gonna stole a lot of homeconsole sales, but I´m sure this game will sell very well on homeconsoles too, is DQ after all, and looks beautifull.

Yeah it will sell on consoles, but wouldn't sell many consoles. Even if it does it will sell more PS4's than NX cause PS4 is a JRPG powerhouse and JRPG as well as Final Fantasy fans will prefer PS4.

Honestly, Sony kind of got screwed here. The game went from something that could have moved literally another 1m+ PS4s in Japan to being something that will largely be overlooked in favor of the 3DS version. I get what they're doing here and why Horii and SE chose this route, but no company is really trying to move Japan into the current generation of home console hardware. I mean, of course the PS4 hasn't really gained traction yet when basically everything that might move systems over there releases on the PS3 or any other cheaper/older console too.

Arcturus said:
Skullwaker said:
I'm actually laughing at the people begging SE to drop the 3DS version. There is no reason for them to do it.

Exactly. They could easily port the 3DS version to NX.

:P   Not sure why so many people are assuming NX is a home console.

It's because the handhelds are BC so wouldn't require a version of DQXI.

AG80 said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Well, yeah I guess the 3DS version is gonna stole a lot of homeconsole sales, but I´m sure this game will sell very well on homeconsoles too, is DQ after all, and looks beautifull.

Yeah it will sell on consoles, but wouldn't sell many consoles. Even if it does it will sell more PS4's than NX cause PS4 is a JRPG powerhouse and JRPG as well as Final Fantasy fans will prefer PS4.

That doesn´t mean is gonna sell badly on NX though, I think is going to sell consoles in both cases.

Around the Network
LuckyTrouble said:
AG80 said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Honestly, Sony kind of got screwed here. The game went from something that could have moved literally another 1m+ PS4s in Japan to being something that will largely be overlooked in favor of the 3DS version. I get what they're doing here and why Horii and SE chose this route, but no company is really trying to move Japan into the current generation of home console hardware. I mean, of course the PS4 hasn't really gained traction yet when basically everything that might move systems over there releases on the PS3 or any other cheaper/older console too.

I wouldn't say its SE's fault. Sony should learn to be able to move their own consoles in Japan. It also doesn't help that PS4 games cost more than PS3 versions of the same games, often 1000 or 2000 yen more, while also having paid online and high hardware costs.

At least PS4 ver means there is the chance of a western release.

Curious to see what the NX version turns ourt to be. If its a handheld ps4 game I would be very happy.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Goodnightmoon said:
AG80 said:

That doesn´t mean is gonna sell badly on NX though, I think is going to sell consoles in both cases.

Yes but not by the same amount though.

ethomaz said:

Stellar_Fungk said:

Then please explain (thoroughly) how the 3DS version (that has a separate development) holds back the development of the PS4 versions.

There is a lot of situtaions that can happen...

At design time (because from what I read only the graphic engine is different... everything else is the same) they want to create a feature but it won't be possible on 3DS... so they drop the feature.

Cross-gen developement is not good in any way.

If they wanted a 3DS game fine... do a entrie new game for 3DS... because when you already have the 3DS in the mind you will not expand your project to the capacibility of others plataforms no matter what you say you will be blinded.

But maybe the gamers are fine with that... I'm not.

The PS4 version is using the Unreal 4 engine, which is a game engine not a graphics engine (rendering engine). In a game engine you have: rendering, audio, physics engine as well as artificial intelligence. And I'm sure that the 3DS version is not using Unreal 4, it seems to be using a engine more close to DQ IX and VIII which is certainly not Unreal 4. So the engines are separate; therefor the rendering, physics and even the AI is diffirent. So which engine based feature the 3DS version has will not affect the engine based feature (graphics, physics, audio and AI) of the PS4 version.

Concerning developers having the 3DS version in mind; them choosing the Unreal 4 engine for the PS4 version, which is different from the 3DS one, is the first step in developing a different game. The line of "having the 3DS version i mind" is already gone. It was gone when SE choose two different game engines for the games; making them two different games, apart from name and story.

You have to be more detailed in what kind of features you think that the devs can potentially drop. What are these feature based on?

I am a Nintendo fanatic.

MikeRox said:
At least PS4 ver means there is the chance of a western release.

Curious to see what the NX version turns ourt to be. If its a handheld ps4 game I would be very happy.

I feel like the PS4 version is at least partly a guarantee of a western release. There would be little reason to make it if they intended on keeping DQXI in Japan, really. They would have been better off just making the 3DS title otherwise. Although the PS4 version is probably the version Horii started with wanting to make and probably matches the vision of what he wanted DQ to be on current generation hardware, undeniably, it's hard to find purpose for it when the 3DS version is going to sell more by a large margin in Japan.