By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - More hints of AMD's Potential Partnership with Nintendo on the NX

Metroid33slayer said:
why would nintendo want backwards compatibility when they could do a sony and sell remastered versions of older games on their new console.

Dude, I think Nintendo is the one who started this Remaster/Remake trend in the first place.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer said:

I don't know how they're doing it exactly, but Nintendos own games are generally looking miles better than those of third party developers on their consoles. Since the devkits should be the same, it has either somthing to do with the documentation or with the effort poured in, possibly both. So I don't think they would really need those. As a japanese company they would probably look at Capcom/Bamco/Konami instead of western developers anyway.

Miles ? That's kind of an exaggeration if not maybe somewhat unjust but let's not get into that argument for today ... 

The documentation is probably not an issue since AMD and IBM is fairly open about their own trade secrets so really it might be the manpower that goes into the ports or maybe their hitting a bottleneck on the WII U ... 

As for the developers of the publishers you mentioned, none of them seem viable to do high end graphics anymore ... 

Capcom is parring back a lot on AAA development considering they only have 1 AAA game to set to release next year. Bamco is not interested in doing high end graphics much like Nintendo so their out. Konami is doing the same thing as Capcom and they just disbanded their last high production studio, Kojima Productions. If it's any japanese developers that Nintendo should look to for high end graphics it's Square Enix and we all know how they feel ... 

Western developers look like their the best bet to spruce up the graphics in their games ...

FunFan said:
Metroid33slayer said:
why would nintendo want backwards compatibility when they could do a sony and sell remastered versions of older games on their new console.

Dude, I think Nintendo is the one who started this Remaster/Remake trend in the first place.

They did with Super Mario Allstars on the SNES, 20 years before it was cool

But apart from Pokemon, they don't do that much Remasters. Sure, there is Wind Waker HD on Wii U and Majora's Mask on 3DS, but both games are over 10 years old (much more than your typical remaster) and apart from the pokemon games, which other remakes from Nintendo can you tell on the current gen?

Bofferbrauer said:
FunFan said:

They did with Super Mario Allstars on the SNES, 20 years before it was cool

But apart from Pokemon, they don't do that much Remasters. Sure, there is Wind Waker HD on Wii U and Majora's Mask on 3DS, but both games are over 10 years old (much more than your typical remaster) and apart from the pokemon games, which other remakes from Nintendo can you tell on the current gen?

Quantity is irrelevant to my point. I simply stated that Nintendo were the first to do it.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

hm amd would mean X86 apu, because they have a monopoly for that atm(intel is not willing to sell for the prices a console would need, because they would have to produce 5 year old chips like amd.)

Around the Network

AMD offers ARM as well, a logical choice for a handheld. AMD has no x86 CPU for small mobile atm.

haqqaton said:
Dusk said:

The X1 is emulating the 360 with it's backwards compatibilty. That's the difference between open source reverse engineering and using the proprietary code and designing software to run it closed source without the need for reverse engineering. BTW, you don't need an i5 to properly emulate the Wii on Dolphin, Dolphin is restricted far more with the GPU than the CPU, but even then it's not that high of a requirement. 

I think that Microsoft will release X360 games like Nintendo does with Virtual Console but you'll need the physical disc just for piracy (don't quote me on that). It's not a simple emulation. If it was a simple emulation you would just need an "emulator" app and the physical disk - no additional downloads. But as I understand you're going to download every X360 game in your X1. 

From my programming background I suppose that Microsoft is rewriting some API calls - from X360 to X1 - maybe using something like a proxy pattern. They need to optimise every single game because X1 lacks raw power. They are listing and couting the API calls that the software uses and making an unique and optimised "emulator" - a new layer to be precise - for each game.

It doesn't matter if they know their own code or if they are using reverse engineering. In fact, it has nothing to do with knowing their own code. X1 can't have a "general" X360 emulator. It lacks raw power. You can see it by looking the games currently available. They are all poorly demanding - simple - games. I think that they can't make Skyrim run properly for the time being.

In the same way, NX would need to be more powerful than PS4 to be able to run Wii U discs using a "general" emulator. Maybe that's the reason for Iwata saying "absorbing Wii U architecture". Maybe we'll get Wii U VC games instead of a traditional backwards compatibility.

It has already been stated by MS that it is emulation. 

It's not a general emulator, that is proven by only a few games being supported so far. It's likely game to game, or engine to engine emulation. 

So far from the experiences of the BC on the X1 the games run pretty much the same, almost exactly, although loading times are better. Mass Effect, while old, is not a simple game by any means. 

You are likely right. It would probably cost the company less to put in a Wii U chip for BC than it would to go through each game and have to design an API for it, or emulate it. 

Time will tell I suppose.

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

I think they will probably ditch full on backwards compatibility.

There are like 10 really noteworthy games on the Wii U -- Mario Kart 8, Mario 3D World, NSMBU, Pikmin 3, DKC: Tropical Freeze, Splatoon, Bayo 2, W101, Smash U, soon Star Fox. I suspect Zelda U is already in the works for NX anyway. 

These games can be ported over if the new architecture is at least some what similar, others may not need to be ported because the sequel can incorporate the same content (ie: Splatoon 2 could have the Splatoon 1 maps, Mario Maker 2.0 could have the original games basic engine all incorporated etc).

No one's going to die if they can't play Kirby's Rainbow Curse or Wii Party U or Mario & Sonic "Olympics from 8 years ago" or something on NX.

Making backwards compatibility a huge priority for a system that A) sold like crap in the first place and B) only had a handful of really must-play games is silly, Nintendo needs to focus on bigger issues with their hardware than that -- getting the most cost efficient chipset and one that performs at least reasonably well should be higher priorities. 

Soundwave said:

I think they will probably ditch full on backwards compatibility.

There are like 10 really noteworthy games on the Wii U -- Mario Kart 8, Mario 3D World, NSMBU, Pikmin 3, DKC: Tropical Freeze, Splatoon, Bayo 2, W101, Smash U, soon Star Fox. I suspect Zelda U is already in the works for NX anyway. 

These games can be ported over if the new architecture is at least some what similar, others may not need to be ported because the sequel can incorporate the same content (ie: Splatoon 2 could have the Splatoon 1 maps, Mario Maker 2.0 could have the original games basic engine all incorporated etc).

No one's going to die if they can't play Kirby's Rainbow Curse or Wii Party U or Mario & Sonic "Olympics from 8 years ago" or something on NX.

Making backwards compatibility a huge priority for a system that A) sold like crap in the first place and B) only had a handful of really must-play games is silly, Nintendo needs to focus on bigger issues with their hardware than that -- getting the most cost efficient chipset and one that performs at least reasonably well should be higher priorities. 

Actualy it will have more than 10 really noteworthy games, more like around 15: Lego City Undercover, Hurley Warriors, Toads Treasure Track, Yoshi Wooly World, Mario Maker, Xenoblade X, Fatal Frame...but I get your point.