By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Fire Emblem Fates over sexualization is really off putting imo (pics)

While I never played the game, this thread contains no spoilers and MAY be NSFW.  

Prior to awakening, all the female characters in the series dressed very modestly, with only a few exceptions, had decent figures and overall didn't come across as being overtly "sexual".  Which I can't say anymore about the series.  In awakening they introduced a few very sexualize characters, such as Tharja, Olivia and a few others.  There was even a DLC chapter where one of the girls strips down with a provacative risque pose and another with a girl covering her breasts.  While Awakening was pretty sparing with the sexual aspects, it was still a LOT more than anything else we have seen in the series before.  Fast forward to FATES, from what I've seen it seems that everything about the game is peppered with sexual undertones and risque elements.  Below is a part of the game where they literally let you look at your partner while they are stripped down, while many of the characters are wearing very lewd underwear. 

One character in particular (Camilia?) seems to be in the game entirely for sexualization.  Her breasts are large, shows her underwear (this is suppose to be at war time) below is a video clip of when her character is introduced to the game (no spoilers)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri-4hXmTccA

To me, this series is just becoming a typical generic slice-of-life anime with too much fan service and less of an emphasis on substance.  I understand why Nintendo needs to change their older franchises to appeal to a wider demographic, but this is such a stark contrast from the originals I can't see Fates as an appealing game to people who loved the originals.  If you follow me on this site, you would know that I already had a strange relationship with Awakening, mostly due to the weak setting, story and characters, as well as a few broken mechanics that made the flow sloppy and more random then FE usually is.   My grip isn't much with the gameplay, though awakening had weak maps and I suspect  similar to fates (Again suspect, don't quote me on that) but my main complaint is that FE is heading down the line of all the other typical generic JRPGs built on stereotypes, oversexualization, and cliches.   This is suppose to be an epic fantasy story like LOTRs, but now it just seems like every run of the mill slice-of-live anime with a medeviel setting.  Really offputing, I can't see myself enjoying this game the same way I did with FE:POR.  This might be the first time since FE has been in America that I might pass on buying the game, even though I have the full collection (thus far in america)

Thoughts, guys? 

3DS I.D : 3282-2755-4646

I make bad threads.  

SSB really went downhill after Melee....

Manlet Crew

Around the Network

It even has traps. I'm in

tagged ...
hoping for more pics!

I like it. :D

ugh, come on. Just deal with it. Sex sells

Around the Network
ElPresidente7 said:
tagged ...
hoping for more pics!

What does tagged mean/do? 

I make bad threads.  

Manlet Crew

What's wrong with that? People always complain about Nintendo being stuck on the past and when they finally get their shit together they get criticized.

Fuck you Nintendo, whatever you do, just fuck you.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

I'm fine with a little sexuality. I just hope it's not shoved in your face the entire game. Either way, I love Fire Emblem way too much to pass this game up.

Wii U NNID:  CWegzz
3DS Friend Code:  4210-5277-5484
PSN:  Ronnoc4
Steam:  CWegz

Anfebious said:
What's wrong with that? People always complain about Nintendo being stuck on the past and when they finally get their shit together they get criticized.

Fuck you Nintendo, whatever you do, just fuck you.

Getting their shit together?  They pretty much killed all of the aunthencity of an old franchise, completely changed the art, dumbed down all the plot, story and settings and just added in boobs.    This is literally an insult to original fans and doubt this will appeal to anyone but anime fans

Nintendo is still stuck in the past, they still don't even allow voicechat in some of their biggest releases online

I make bad threads.  

Manlet Crew

Fan service is the name of the game for anything that even slightly resembles anime. Love it or hate it, it's here to stay. Now whether NoA will let that stay in the game or they'll butcher it to high hell for the sake of the innocent children that apparently exclusively own their handhelds, it's hard to say.

Personally, I'm passing on this one because of the consumer hating tactics that went into their whole two version and substantial day one DLC nonsense.