By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is expecting to ship 20 million NX consoles in the first year

Can they reach the goal?

Of course it will 64 17.58%

They're insane... 300 82.42%

Total:364

You know, if Nintendo doesn't think what they're going to do is going to be massively successful, maybe they shouldn't be doing it.

It's impossible to say whether or not this is feasible considering what we know about the console. Based on previous consoles we've seen, it would seem unlikely. That being said, 20 million in a year is not that much in the technology world overall. So, maybe Nintendo can be doing something truly ahead of the curve. There is still a LOT of growth potential for the console market, so hopefully they'll be able to tap into that.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:

True there is a decent amount of overlap but the hardcore Nintendo fans will most likely buy both and ur completely ignoring what I said in my other post, 3DS/Wii U both had high launch prices with software droughts and bad marketing/advertising.

This same rumor states the device(s) will be $150 plus a unified strategy allows for a more consistent release schedule.

$150... yeah, totally believable when even the old 3DS XL is still priced higher.

Should be interesting.

Conina said:
zorg1000 said:

True there is a decent amount of overlap but the hardcore Nintendo fans will most likely buy both and ur completely ignoring what I said in my other post, 3DS/Wii U both had high launch prices with software droughts and bad marketing/advertising.

This same rumor states the device(s) will be $150 plus a unified strategy allows for a more consistent release schedule.

$150... yeah, totally believable when even the old 3DS XL is still priced higher.

Because they lost money for the first 3 years of this generation and are doing everything they can to maximize profits.

I don't think $150 is impossible, I personally believe NX will be more of an Apple TV/Fire TV competition rather than a Playstation/Xbox competitor.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

We still do not know what exactly "NX" is. For all we know it could be a game client for the PC, or a handheld with the power of the Wii U.

I admit if find 20 million in the first fiscal year sounds a bit unrealistic, but I am sure Nintendo must of some idea of a strategy to achieve that.

Games I have Finished

http://pastebin.com/eMdjSjFc

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
padib said:
Lawlight said:

In the way that it became a fad. Fads are lucky strikes.

Kind of like Pokemon, or Mario?

We don't really know why the Wii fizzled, so to just dismiss it as a fad is ignoring that Nintendo has many times struck lightning and held it. Who knows, the Wii craze could reignite, my best conclusion on the Wii situation is that people got saturated with it and it was poorly managed in the end of the Wii's lifecycle.

Pokemon wasn't really a lucky strike though - they spent $50M marketing it in the west 2 decades ago. Mario was shipped with every console sold.

But I can you why the Wii fizzled. It was a gimmick that catered to the casual audience (not to be confused with mainstream) like the elderly - an audience who's not actually interested in gaming but toys. They probably looked at the Eye Toy fad and decided to make a console based on that gimmick.

Let us assume for a moment that the kind of people who bought the Wii still really wanted that kind of experience.  What games on the Wii U would appeal to them?

Wii Sports was an upgraded version of the first game, with HD graphics (like it matters in Wii Sports) online, and it wasn't even on store shelves for like a year.  Wii Fit was incredibly poorly handled (no hardware bundle?  Digital only at launch?  Wtf guys?).

Wii Party was actually pretty fun and had some interesting 

Aside from those, what effort did Nintendo put into creating games for the Wii audience?  You could argue for the Mario games, but those weren't the driving force for the truly casual audience that made the Wii a success.

Point is, I can't say for certain that the Wii wouldn't have fizzled out, but it's not as simple to say that the audience lost interest.  Nintendo did a truly shitty job in their effort to keep that market.  From the name of the console, to the confusing marketing, to the games, they fucked up at every turn.  The decline could be as much about Nintendo's failures as it was about the Wii just being a fad.

zorg1000 said:
Conina said:
zorg1000 said:

Because they lost money for the first 3 years of this generation and are doing everything they can to maximize profits.

I don't think $150 is impossible, I personally believe NX will be more of an Apple TV/Fire TV competition rather than a Playstation/Xbox competitor.

It won't be 150 LMAO. Some of you are out to lunch.

That 0 after the 2 just looks too suspicious. It's like its missing a pixel or two.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

celador said:
Well the people predicting this can't be stupid, or they wouldn't be in a job, so perhaps they have something really good line up, launching at a great price.

Or perhaps they are stupid.

... Thankyou for your great contribution to this thread

sultanofpoon said:
zorg1000 said:

It won't be 150 LMAO. Some of you are out to lunch.

Why is it impossible? How about instead of being a smart ass, back up what u say with some reasoning? 

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.