By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Japanese games are unfair, I don't like it

I'm at the end of Yakuza 4 where you have four boss fights in a row, I wasted around an hour on them and what do you know, at the fouth boss turned out my fouth character had only a few health items and I will have to load my save and fight all four bosses all over. I can't tell how many times I have been frustrated with unfairness of Japanese games when I palyed them for the first time. Where is fun in mashing buttons for an hour straight? They laugh at some western studios who make 5 hour games but I will take that over what they offer, repetitive gameplay and meaningless dialogues. I'm putting embargo on Jap games, except Okami, that game is surprisingly fair.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Around the Network

i hate unfair games like that. if i defeated a boss/villain or completed an area i dont want to replay it again just because there is another hard area right after it.

reminds me of the Trails section in God of War: Ascension. was frustrating as hell, i think it was three consecutive fights, no health regeneration after, and if you die you have to repeat it all again. it was really really frustrating on hard mode, actually once they patched it in that you get some bit of health after each round i completed it in the first try.

Hiku said:

Maybe that's your problem right there. You're supposed to learn the bosse's attacks and attack patterns, to react to and punish them. You don't have to get hit.

As for your generalization of Japanese games, I don't know what to say.

Yes but you still end up mashing buttons. If you played this game, please don't tell me you enjoyed the last boss where you are one against some twenty before you even get to the boss. Combos and special moves don't work when five thugs are hitting you from all angles and the boss shooting at you in the process doesn't help either.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Hiku said:

I've only played Yakuza 3 so far. And in that game I believe most, if not all, boss fights were 1v1. You didn't describe the scenario of multiple enemies on you while the boss is firing at you from a distance in your OP. That's different, yeah. There are moves with invincibility though, that come in handy in those situations. The backdash and sidestep of course, and I believe parries/counters also have this property.

To be fair that last fight isn't as bad as it sounds but I was just short of one or two health items and that's why I have to replay the whole thing urrgh.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

I think its "unfair" to lumb all Japanese games together, because you had trouble in 1 game.

Around the Network

You think the final boss fight in Yakuza 4 is unfair? Try clearing the trials, especially the boat chase one, especially if you forget that triangle gives you a high speed ram attack which is the only possible way to clear the godawful thing.

I remember playing Dead Rising 2, going through everything levelling up and all that then suddenly there is a boss after what you think is the final boss but you start with no weapons or items you had before, my first couple of attempts was me running around trying to find a weapon or food items from the very limited stock. In the end I gave up and found a wrench and bashed Square until he was dead. Win for me.

The bosses in general were all really hard though for what was rather a casual game before hand.

Hmm, pie.

the bossfight in y4 was hard ? No : )
you would have to train more = fighting-skills, techniques-skills,

KazumaKiryu said:
the bossfight in y4 was hard ? No : )
you would have to train more = fighting-skills, techniques-skills,

I didn't say it was hard, but time consuming. I have unlocked almost all skills on all four characters, but bosses are immune to most of them.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Japanese games are also kinda broken at times.
Final Fantasy VIII puts you against 4 bosses, back to back, with every KO on your team possibly leading to that character's complete removal from battle.
Doesn't mean you can't spam Aura and Rinoa's Limit Break until you get Invincible Moon and just LOL through the whole annoying segment.