By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the next CEO of Nintendo make powerful consoles to their fullest? Since Iwata has passed away?

MohammadBadir said:
spemanig said:

Honestly, the NX is an Iwata-built machine, so even if the new president has a completely different console philosophy than him, we won't see any tangible results of that for a long time.

Not that it matters. I'm 100% sure that Iwata already hand picked his successor, just like Yamauchi before him. For better or worse. It will be interesting to say the least. I just hope it's someone who is iwata's age when he became president. Someone in their low 40's or even younger.

I agree.

Yeah but yamauchi had a different approach. He wanted to compete directly wheras iwata wanted to use strategies to win.  

Around the Network
bowserthedog said:
MohammadBadir said:

I agree.

Yeah but yamauchi had a different approach. He wanted to compete directly wheras iwata wanted to use strategies to win.  

But its hard to argue with the results. It led to many billions in Nintendo's bank. Iwata made it so Nintendo was the only profitable console maker last gen. His strategy was so successful that both MS and Sony adopted a similar approach to avoid heavy losses.

the_dengle said:

Pretty sure I heard a while back that Yamauchi was in on the whole DS and Wii shift. Either that he had started the projects or that Iwata was still consulting him. Either way the differences between their philosophies likely stemmed from Iwata's background as a developer and from necessity.

In the same way, Nintendo is definitely in for a serious change. But Iwata already got that ball rolling. NX and licensing deals like the Universal park are his babies. Someone else will adopt them, they may be raised differently, but they will still have his genes.

Yeah, I basically feel the same.

midrange said:

The thing is, the controller design, the graphics limitations, the console design, and the online capabilities are all hardware decisions not software decisions.

Online "capabilities" may be a hardware decision, but I doubt what you think you are referring to are actually the technical capabilities of Nintendo's consoles. Nintendo's online offerings are quite capable this generation. Common complaints are usually about digital purchases being tied to consoles rather than accounts, lack of achievement equivalents, things of that nature, which are absolutely software decisions, not hardware.

There's some great insight at the beginning (starting around 6:30) of this podcast about Nintendo Wifi Connection (Wii & DS online service). Long story short, friend codes obviously had nothing to do with hardware limitations.

spemanig said:

Yeah, I basically feel the same.

There's some interesting discussion to be had about just how much influence the President/CEO has over hardware design. It seems natural to relate Yamauchi to everything from the Famicom to the GameCube, to Nintendo's reluctance to make the switch to CD format among other choices. But giving him all of the credit would be doing a huge disservice to Yokoi and Takeda. Yamauchi didn't invent the D-pad or the analog stick. I think Yokoi made the hardware he envisioned. The Wii and DS do feel like they came from Yamauchi and/or Iwata, because they didn't come from anyone else internally at Nintendo. Wii remotes were made by a random Westerner who sold the idea to Nintendo, so the individual who 'bought' it would be the one in control of the Wii's future. The DS was inspired by the Game & Watch, a creation of the late Yokoi, but we can't really give him credit for the DS line.

What I was thinking of when I mentioned differences between their leadership styles was the way they treated third parties. Negotiating those kinds of situations is probably one of their most demanding responsibilities. Iwata couldn't afford to act like Yamauchi had, but Iwata was also probably incapable of it, and Yamauchi may have known that. He could have recognized that Iwata was the President Nintendo needed because of the ways in which they differed.

Anyway, Takeda is the apparent frontrunner for Iwata's successor, and he was the lead designer of the Wii. They share essentially the same hardware philosophy. He is not going to make anyones' dreams of an ultra-powerful NX come true.

Around the Network

Not any time soon..

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

No. CEOs are nothing more than figureheads for share holders bound by advisors. Why do people think a single person can make a difference in a multinational billion dollar company?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

bunchanumbers said:
bowserthedog said:

But its hard to argue with the results. It led to many billions in Nintendo's bank. Iwata made it so Nintendo was the only profitable console maker last gen. His strategy was so successful that both MS and Sony adopted a similar approach to avoid heavy losses.

I agree.  But I believe the poster who i was replying to was implying that Iwata would have hand picked his replacement so expect the status quo. Yamauchi got anything but status quo even though he hand picked Iwata.  Im actually a little bit concerned for Nintendo right now. Not everything worked but I think Iwata did a pretty good job overall and he will be missed at Nintendo.

Even if there was going to be some major shakeup in Nintendo after this, which there won't be, it would be too late to affect the NX. No doubt the details of the machine are already set and it's more the difficulty in getting the thing into production and finalising things now. There's not going to be any huge shift here and definitely not for the NX.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

As far as consoles go the NX specs are probably nailed down at this point. The only thing that can change is their approach to software, third parties and on-line services. At the very least I hope they improve on on-line services, basic things like gamer-cards for one.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine