By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I think I'm going to buy a Wii U? My First Nintendo product

Bayonetta 1+2
Super Mario 3D World

Around the Network

If you consider yourself a casual gamer, then I would definitely pick up Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Splatoon and Super Mario 3D World (not to say that the games themselves are casual, but they're very easy to pick up and play). Donkey Kong Country is pretty difficult, but great nonetheless.

I'd also have a look out for Yoshi's Woolly World, Super Mario Maker and Xenoblade Chronicles X (it's like a JRPG and WRPG mixed together).

Edit: And I'll always recommend Wind Waker HD. It's a perfect first Zelda game.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

If you've never had one before, the best part about the system will be the Virtual Console. You could spend the whole rest of the generation just playing games from Nintendo's past and never even touch a regular Wii U game.

As far as recommendations go, I can't give any, because I don't know enough about what you like. There will definitely be something though.

gabzjmm23 said:
midrange said:
I would first consider a 3ds if you don't have one. It can give you a glimpse of Nintendo games at a cheaper price, offers portability, and will still maintain good support.

Honestly, even if you do have a 3ds, I would wait. The wii u has been losing and delaying games this year, so I would wait till summer is over to see what their plan is (especially their plan with club Nintendo). The wii u does have some games you should try (mario 3d world, smash wii u, pikmin 3, bayonetta 2), but none are generation defining like mario Galaxy or ocarina of time, so those can wait.

even it has fewer games Wii U has VC games and backward compatible for Wii which would ensure him that he can play previous gen games that are really good. 

and if the OP said he wanted a Wii U, he might have a reason that he prefer a home console over a handheld. you might have a point about a lower pricing but 3DS resolution isn't that good compared to the Wii U games.  like MK7 against MK8, etc...

you also metioned about generation defining so his Wii U can also have Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 as Wii U is backwards compatible.  OOT is launched as a VC game as well.  and Wii U has Splatoon, the OP like FPS, Splatoon is the closest and greatest Nintendo game to a shooting genre out there.  and the big 2 - MK and Smash.

I never said that he shouldn't get the console, I said he should either test the waters with a cheaper system that has more support, or that he should wait.

personally I would wait. The Wii u's games aren't going anywhere, and nothing huge is coming out till mario maker in September. On the contrary, a new loyalty system will be announced soon, bundles and price cuts may be announced (especially for Mario maker), and after that disastrous e3, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo released a direct with new information soon.

Three games you have to buy:
Pikmin3 (became my all time 3rd favorite game. BTW: fallout3 is #1, dark souls 1 is #2)
Bayonetta 2 (I think TGA2014 was stupid enough not to give the best action game to Bay2)
Splatoon (Nintendo came up some great new IP, man)

The rest 1st party games like Mario 3D world, Mario Kart, SSB etc. You know what they are, you can help youself.

You might also consider wonderful 101 and zombiU, they've got some new stuffs but lacked in some other area.

edit: Oops, I forgot mention the game made me to buy a WiiU is the Xenoblade X. And hopefully the StarFox U turns out to be good as well.

I will probably go buy a NX, if Zelda U is a cross Gen game. Godamn it, Nintendo.

Around the Network

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

Already available:
-Nintendo Land
-Zombi U
-New Super Mario Bros/Luigi U
-Monster Hunter Ultimate 3
-Lego City Undercover
-Wonderfall 101
-Pikmin 3
-Zelda Wind Waker HD
-Mario 3D World
-Donkey Kong Tropical Freze
-Mario Kart 8
-Hurley Warriors
-Bayonetta 2
-Super Smash Smash Bros.
-Toad's Treasure Tracker
-Splatoon
-Yoshi Wolly World (if you are in PAL region)

Coming:
-Mario Maker
-Xenoblade X
-Star Fox
-Fatal Frame
-Zelda U

Wii Backward Compatibility, Virtual Console that supports NES/SNES/GBA/N64/DS/Wii games (if you hack vWii with Nintendont you can have GC games too), Off TV play via gamepad.

Wii U is really one great console if you love Nintendo games.

Must Owns:

Mario Kart 8

Super Smash Bros for Wii U

Splatoon

Wind Waker HD

Other Great Games:

Super Mario 3D World

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

New Super Mario Bros U

Pikmin 3

Wonderful 101

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse

Yoshi's Woolly World

Bayonetta 2

Lego City Undercover

Hyrule Warriors

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

Games Coming Out:

Xenoblade Chronicles X

Super Mario Maker

Star Fox Zero

Zelda U

SMT x FE

Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water

Enjoy!

And don't forget those awesome Wii Games too, since you can most likely find a cheap copy by now. And i think everyone already gave you all the awesome games which will last you for like years

Pocky Lover Boy! 

FattyDingDong said:

You heard it right ladies and gentleman , Fattydingdong is going to purchase a WII U. Why you might ask? Well, I got some money I could spend so I thought hey why not buy a Nintendo console for the first time ever and try out some of their cool first party games that I've missed out on. 

So anyways what games should I purchase with it?  I will most definitely buy Mario Kart 8. Because I remember how much I loved playing Crash Team Racing on PS1.  I'll also most likely get Donkey Kong Country game, the game looks sweet.   Any other recommendations?  I'm open to anything really..  But keep in mind I'm more of a casual gamer, I currently own an Xbox One and play mostly sports games and COD. Last gen I mostly played FPS games, Sports games and Western RPGS like Fallout, Elder Scrolls etc.

I own a Wii U because I mainly play strategy games and fighting games on pc, and platformers and arcade games on Wii U.

The Wii U is great is you dont have a lot of time, because in a short ammount of time you can play many intense Mario Kart 8/Splatoon/Smash Bros matches.

The best Wii U games are probably Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros 4, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Bayonetta 2, Mario 3D World and Splatoon.

Bayonetta 2 and Donkey Kong are excellent but quite challenging, although in Tropical Freeze you can help yourself by choosing to buy items.

Smash Bros is the easiest fighting game, but it is still a fighting game, so if you play online you may end up playing against people who are experts at the game.

Mario Kart 8, 3D World and Splatoon are the most casual friendly. 3D World does have challening post game levels, and 100% it is not easy, this is the last level

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bai1lCx9j5I