By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does metacritic correlate with your gaming taste? Average metacritic score of your current-gen gaming collection.

Does metacritic correlate with your gaming tastes?

Yes 20 29.85%

No 33 49.25%

Undecided 11 16.42%

See results 3 4.48%

Total:67

Nope, I enjoy my games which ranged from scores of 60's to 90's and I prefer some lower ranked games to higher ranked ones.

Interestingly, I averaged the metascore for my Wii U, 3DS and Vita collections and they each individually came to 80.

Around the Network

Yes it definitely does. Generally speaking unless it is a genre I don't like if a game is 85+ I always enjoy it alot. 75-85 I mostly enjoy them. 65-75 I is very hit or miss. Below 65 I almost never like.

That the past years have taught me to look beyond scores. I enjoyed AC: Unity, Driveclub, Dying Light, FF T-0, The Order and a handful of other "under 75" games which in the past I probably would have avoided.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

mysteryman said:
Nope, I enjoy my games which ranged from scores of 60's to 90's and I prefer some lower ranked games to higher ranked ones.

Interestingly, I averaged the metascore for my Wii U, 3DS and Vita collections and they each individually came to 80.

You've subconciously been influenced by metacritic mate! :p

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Alkibiádēs said:
mysteryman said:

You've subconciously been influenced by metacritic mate! :p

If that was the case I would have stopped buying the Picross e series long before it hit 5 :P

One of my favourites games ever is Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky and he got a bloody 54 on metacritic. So...no, never.

Around the Network

Congrats on your first thread! This is a really interesting question :)

For me, Metacritic is all over the place. Some games are scored perfectly in line with my own assessment. For example, my top 10 is:

1) 99
2) 90
3) 97
4) 96
5) 92
6) 96
7) 92
8) 94
9) 90
10) 91

Others are 10, 20, sometimes 30 points away. It's very frustrating. I've been searching for a particular publication or reviewer whose standards match my own, but I've had no luck.

What's interesting is that, when it comes to movies, Metacritic is a really useful tool for me. The average score almost always corresponds to my personal opinion - with a few exceptions here and there. Not so with video game metascores - especially during the seventh generation when score inflation was rampant.

Most of the time, however I do disagree with it sometimes

Veknoid_Outcast said:

What's interesting is that, when it comes to movies, Metacritic is a really useful tool for me. The average score almost always corresponds to my personal opinion - with a few exceptions here and there. Not so with video game metascores - especially during the seventh generation when score inflation was rampant.

I agree with your sentiment here. Review sites like Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic often appropriately grade movies for me, but not always games. I wonder if it's a case of the different journalism or personal differences? Maybe a combination of both.

Most of the games I buy do have a high metacritic score. But there are tons more high scoring games on my systems that I don't have.