By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does metacritic correlate with your gaming taste? Average metacritic score of your current-gen gaming collection.

Does metacritic correlate with your gaming tastes?

Yes 20 29.85%

No 33 49.25%

Undecided 11 16.42%

See results 3 4.48%

Total:67

Hi guys, this is my first topic here so hopefully it's succesful. I understand that this might be a lot of work for some of you guys who buy a lot of games, so I'll lay down a couple of ground rules:

- Only count games that also had a retail release.

- Remasters and remakes DO count.

- Cross-gen ports count as well, as long as you own the current-gen version.

My Wii U collection:

- Super Mario 3D World (93%)

- Rayman Legends (92%)

- Bayonetta 2 (91%)

- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (90%)

- Mario Kart 8 (88%)

- Pikmin 3 (87%)

- Batman Arkham City - Armored Edition (85%)

- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (83%)

- Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (81%)

- Splatoon (81%)

- Yoshi's Woolly World (79%)

Average score of my collection: 86.36%

My favorite Wii U game? Splatoon.

My least favorite Wii U game? Bayonetta 2.

So no, I don't think metacritic correlates very well with my gaming tastes here. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and Yoshi's Woolly World are also near the top list of favorite games.

My 3DS collection:

- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (94%)

- Fire Emblem: Awakening (92%)

- The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (91%)

- Super Mario 3D Land (90%)

- The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (89%)

- Pokémon Y (88%)

- Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (86%)

- Bravely Default (85%)

- Pokémon Omega Ruby (83%)

Average score of my collection: 88, 66% (damn)

The average score is more than 2 points higher, but I prefer my Wii U collection over my 3DS collection to be honest.

My favorite 3DS game? A Link Between Worlds.

My least favorite 3DS game? Bravely Default, Luigi's Mansion and Pokémon Omega Ruby (all 3 games I never finished).

This does correlate well with my gaming tastes, although I think Bravely Default and Luigi's Mansion have way too high scores on metacritic. Bravely Default has an uninteresting and generic story and chapter 5-8 are the biggest BS I've experienced this generation. How that game got away with all that BS I'll never know. Critics, start doing your job...

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Around the Network

Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't ...

For an example I liked Hatred despite tons of critics shitting all over it ...

Alkibiádēs said:

Bravely Default has an uninteresting and generic story and chapter 5-8 are the biggest BS I've experienced this generation. How that game got away with all that BS I'll never know. Critics, start doing your job...

I feel the same way I haven't finish that game due to that part of the game I was getting tired at that point of all the BS.

Metacritic as a whole it's hit or miss with their scores for me, the biggest insult for me being Wonderful 101 score, that game deserves to be in the 90+

No.

Roronaa_chan said:

No.

That's quite low, good for you that you don't let others tell you what you should like! I wish more people were like this.

Around the Network

No, and though I have some sense of how my taste differs from the general media, and I try to compensate for what I see as the flaws (Marking down GTA. Marking up non-Mario Nintendo platformers). There are times I've learnt I just can't trust random online opinions from any collection of idiots with good enough grammar to be a reviewer.

Following an individual reviewer you trust, and know shares similar tastes (or at least tastes you can account for) seems far better than following random reviewers collectively.

No

In general, no, they do not but sometimes they do

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Never said:

No, and though I have some sense of how my taste differs from the general media, and I try to compensate for what I see as the flaws (Marking down GTA. Marking up non-Mario Nintendo platformers). There are times I've learnt I just can't trust random online opinions from any collection of idiots with good enough grammar to be a reviewer.

Following an individual reviewer you trust, and know shares similar tastes (or at least tastes you can account for) seems far better than following random reviewers collectively.

Do you count Yoshi and Donkey Kong as non-Mario platformers? If so, I agree, I think these two games deserve much better scores than NSMBU. Wasn't a big fan of Rayman Legends though.

My Top 10 favorite games of all time and their Metacritic scores

Chrono Cross - 94%
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - 95%
Final Fantasy IX - 94%
Legend of Mana - Not on Metacritic, but on GameRankings, it's 73%
Mass Effect - 91%
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars - Not on Metacritic, but on Gamerankings, it's 89%
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King - 89%
Final Fantasy XII - 92%
Super Mario World - Not on Metacritic (SNES version), but on Gamerankings, it's 94%
Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete- 78%

So, all in all, Metacritic for the most part agrees with me, but I definitely do not buy my games because of Metacritic. I don't even look at review scores for my KOEI Warriors games, for example, because I love 'em anyway.