By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Order 1886 not a huge flop?

So I got bored and started looking at vgchartz sales data.  Much to my suprise, The Order is at .95 physical units sold!  Now those of you that read my posts when the game launched know that I enjoyed it very much and found it underrated, even if the price point was a bit high.  So I did some dighing and comparisons to other games that I enjoyed.

Bloodborne has sold around 1.3 mil with a similar launch window.  Now there is no denying that BB will have much better legs, but it is still suprising to see them this close.

Sunset Overdrive....the game everyone talked about but no one bought.  I slso loved this game but it only clocks in at .82 mil.  This game was released months before The Order, yet has already been passed despite the very different reception of both games.  Furthermore I have thought that Sunset would have more legs than The Order, but looks like I was way off.

Forza Horizon 2 is another exclusive that X1 fans brag about, yet releasing months before The Order only had about .98 mil in sales.  In less time The Order has almost caught it.  Now some would say to include the 360 version, but The Order was only released on next gen.  That said only the X1 version matters in this comparison as there is no doubt the Order would have also gotten a boost from the PS3 had it been cross gen.

Now some might say that it sold only on hype at launch and that is why numbers are so high.  But that just is not the case as after two months the game had not yet reached .70 mil.  This means that for some reason, despite bad press, the game continues to sell.  This also indicates that while many people don't like what RaD did with the game, there is an audience out there for it.  This was a game that was widely available as used and it still sold new copies this well afterall.

Furthermore these are only physical copies sold.  When you add in digital it is without a doubt well above 1 mil.  Now with the recent official price cut, I predict the game will get anothet little boost to run with.  This is pleasently suprising news for those of us who want a sequel with more polish with fan feedback, as reaching at least 2.5 mil lifetime, with digital included, is looking more and more attainable.

Does this suprise some of you?  What are your thoughts on all of this?

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

2.5 million is reallllllly optimistic I think. Maybe 1.5 million

The devs spent 5 years on the project, which included two years making their own engine I believe. So it is still far away from breaking even, and I doubt it will get there, even if the actual sales numbers are half decent.

celador said:
The devs spent 5 years on the project, which included two years making their own engine I believe. So it is still far away from breaking even, and I doubt it will get there, even if the actual sales numbers are half decent.

The engine itself though will be used again in the future though.  So it really doesn't apply to whether or not The Order breaks even when you think about it as it will pay for itself.

maybe we see a sequel, would be sad because the game ended the same way like Shenmue 2

Around the Network

The fact that a sequel will not happen and developers are pursuing other projects are pretty clear signs it did not sell what they hoped. I would also stat some games hold at $50-60 range, while others drop rapidly to $20-30 range making sales and revenue bit harder to project.

Whether bloodborne, order or sunset sales are good. At least from the publishers perspective. Probably all of them make a huge loss.

On the other hand there is a game like Splatoon, has sold more than a million and break even already.

This gen needs more middle budget games.

Kelzus said:
2.5 million is reallllllly optimistic I think. Maybe 1.5 million

If you include digital it could already be close to that.

z101 said:
Whether bloodborne, order or sunset sales are good. At least from the publishers perspective. Probably all of them make a huge loss.

On the other hand there is a game like Splatoon, has sold more than a million and break even already.

This gen needs more middle budget games.

yeah but the game costed just 40$ in many countries @launch 

Shiken said:

The Order is at .95 physical units sold! 

Not even a full single copy sold and you think it's not a flop!

I kid, I kid.

But yeah, I don't think The Order will see profits in its lifetime. I'd call that a flop.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.