By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why do you think Microsoft is evil?

Microsoft is evil? This is news to me!

mM
Around the Network
Mistershine said:
ItsaMii said:
Mistershine said:
And before you spout the old 'They use their software domination to force their products on people and strangle fair competition' chestnut, please bare in mind that they are a business, and the wholepoint of business is to beat your competition and force customers/consumers to use your products.
This is not a flamebait thread, I am looking for reasonable answers to a reasonable question.
For the record, I am not a particular fan of MS in any way, shape or form, aside from my 360, I just dont have a problem with them as a business.

Your definition of business is poor (and kinda scary also). So Companies should force us to buy their products, like with threats and blackmail?
As for beating competition try reading about anti trust legislation. I would put some time answering your question, but I think there would be no use because your premises are wrong.

You misintepreted my use of the word force. I meant is as in by putting your competition out of business, you are therefore going to force to people to use your products/services as they have no alternative.
Also my definition of business is it's a scheme to make money. If your not actively trying to make as much money as possible while beating your competition into nonexistance then your doing it wrong.

no, just no.  There is a reason why the government will step in everytime.  Competition in the free market forces prices to be affordable.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

They are evil cos they got too much ca$h!! They should give some to ease their evilness

Quote --->  about X360, MS made a BIG anti-piracy system, it is called 3RLs, or RRoD. I know a bunch of ppl afraid to open a X360 and void warrant because they will need it... 

Really do I need to say more? 

To Each Man, Responsibility

@sqrl:
LOL.
@ssj12:
So what your saying is you should let your competition keep trading in the name of fairness. If you owned a corner shop and I opened one around the corner, you wouldn't try and stop me getting your customers? You would be happy to share your market sector with me and make less money?

Around the Network

Businesses aren't evil, but they are amoral. There's a big difference.

The purpose of a corporation is to limit and distribute responsibility while making money. As an institution, morality doesn't enter into anything until it starts influencing the generation of wealth. The people within the institution are influenced by morality, but the institution tends to abstract the moral consequences of the decisions of individuals. The larger and more complicated the corporation, the more it tends to dissociate people from the moral consequences of their decisions (I was just doing what was best for the company, I was only following orders, etc.).

The bottom line is that you can't trust a corporation to care about morality for the sake of being moral, and you can't trust their staff to behave according to their own morality. What you have to do is create a framework where immoral actions on the part of a business has substantial monetary consequences. This is where regulations, consumer advocacy, media attention, and anti-trust legislation come in.

Microsoft isn't evil, but like most businesses, it only cares when it pays to care. And it's hard to make caring pay to a company as huge as MS.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

thye make crappy software( vista) , and try to squeeze every little penny out of your pocket (xbox live)

I don't think it.... I KNOW IT

The pack all their crap in an OS. Which afterwards you think you can delete it but it actually doesn't do it.
Vista has a kernel of more than one GB, come on. Maybe they need to look to Linux a bit more where you can strip it down to less than 2 MB that's 500x smaller.
Xbox Live for 60 bucks a year.... for what? Live itself doesn't use massive amount of server usage. since all games are hosted by the distributers themselfs as soon as you go into a multiplay room you are basically off LIVE itself and on the gameserver of the distriibutor of the game.
The fact that MS budles their software charge a serious amount of cash for each product (far more than necissary, else please explain the Billions of profit they make each year)
MS just buys other companies with innovative products instead of developing their own. After they bougt they company they seem to be able to screw it up big enough to add alot of bloat to it since windows is by far the biggest OS, Office is by far the biggest office suit on your drive.

The only reason why MS still sells stuff is that people don't want to learn something new, else they would really enjoy the use of Linux or OSX. As well as office suites with open document support instead of an extension that is the same but doesn't seem to work on older version anymore.

and a whole lot more to add but ain't got the drive to do it. Not really worth the time.

maybe reason which would add a more positive feeling to MS...
- less bloat
- slim OS please
- support open document formats as they are instead of demanding a new semi closed format which is 1500 pages long to describe
- actually listen to your customers
- stick to what you are good at instead of jumping in every pool you can. (like... uhm... uhm... dunno, maybe nothing)
- oh yeah be frigging creative instead of using the phrase "if you can't beat em, buy em." and even act on it.

Predictions
I will win the internetz

Pretty much every corporate conglomerate is evil. I stopped caring about the specifics long ago, though I will continue to boycott Wal-Mart until the world ends as we know it.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

'Please bare in mind'? Pervert.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046