By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why do you think Microsoft is evil?

And before you spout the old 'They use their software domination to force their products on people and strangle fair competition' chestnut, please bare in mind that they are a business, and the wholepoint of business is to beat your competition and force customers/consumers to use your products.
This is not a flamebait thread, I am looking for reasonable answers to a reasonable question.
For the record, I am not a particular fan of MS in any way, shape or form, aside from my 360, I just dont have a problem with them as a business.

Around the Network

MS is evil because of their PC OS: Windows (Especially Vista)... Need I say more?

1. Most of their software is copied from others. Windows anyone?
2. They deliver crappy software. Vista anyone?
3. Extremely high prices for their unreliable software. Vista anyone? XBL should be free.
4. They make cheap(crap) products (Zune).
5. They love to charge for every little thing they can. Vista Basic, Vista Premium, Ultimate, Professional? Only separated by a few features but large price differences

And on top of that they insist on keeping their monopoly by forcing others out of business or buying them up and throwing away their ideas.

"please bare in mind that they are a business, and the wholepoint of business is to beat your competition and force customers/consumers to use your products."

Bingo, however thats not how MS operates. Just look at their hand in HD DVD. They didn't back HD DVD because they thought it was the best product and they wanted to compete with blu-ray and win. They backed HD DVD, because they knew if they didn't blu-ray would quickly win and become the next-gen media format and by backing HD DVD they had a chance to derail both formats, which hurts the consumers and adoption of next-gen media formats, but leads way to consumers adopting Downloads, which is what many have said they were trying to do in the first place. Look at them, today they are saying that discs will be old technology in 12-18 months. If thats the case then why did they heavily back a disc based format just 3 months if they beileved they were going to be dead in a year and a half. They suckered in 300k peoples hard earned cash with HD DVD so that they could have a chance at running everybodys money into the ground and hope that their crumby little 720p, low bit XBL downloads might take off and they could have a hand in people's living rooms (which leads to another point, they put out crap products). Thats evil and despicable in my mind.

Mistershine said:
And before you spout the old 'They use their software domination to force their products on people and strangle fair competition' chestnut, please bare in mind that they are a business, and the wholepoint of business is to beat your competition and force customers/consumers to use your products.
This is not a flamebait thread, I am looking for reasonable answers to a reasonable question.
For the record, I am not a particular fan of MS in any way, shape or form, aside from my 360, I just dont have a problem with them as a business.

Your definition of business is poor (and kinda scary also). So Companies should force us to buy their products, like with threats and blackmail?
As for beating competition try reading about anti trust legislation. I would put some time answering your question, but I think there would be no use because your premises are wrong.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

Around the Network

attempting OS/Browser Monopoly, thank god FirrFox is slowly eating away at the browser part.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

I think some people hate Microsoft just for being Microsoft.

I think Apple is the evil one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyLhpUPNPIs

360 IS OPERATIONAL AFTER 37 DAYS!

For lying about shortages.

I think that any liar is evil.

ItsaMii said:
Mistershine said:
And before you spout the old 'They use their software domination to force their products on people and strangle fair competition' chestnut, please bare in mind that they are a business, and the wholepoint of business is to beat your competition and force customers/consumers to use your products.

Your definition of business is poor (and kinda scary also). So Companies should force us to buy their products, like with threats and blackmail?
As for beating competition try reading about anti trust legislation. I would put some time answering your question, but I think there would be no use because your premises are wrong.

You misintepreted my use of the word force. I meant is as in by putting your competition out of business, you are therefore going to force to people to use your products/services as they have no alternative.
Also my definition of business is it's a scheme to make money. If your not actively trying to make as much money as possible while beating your competition into nonexistance then your doing it wrong.