By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Why are there Mens and Women's table tennis?

Honestly even if the differnces in men and women is small in table tennis... their probably big enough that if you added them together, you wouldnt find 1 women in the top100 players in the world.

Its the same in Badminton.
My dad has a brother that was on a junier national team, as one of the best players in the country, and hed beat my dad in badminton pretty convincingly. However my dad back then would beat the best female junior national player, the same way (he jokes she hated him for it).

Theres a reason there are sepperate leagues for men and women in sports.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

Honestly even if the differnces in men and women is small in table tennis... their probably big enough that if you added them together, you wouldnt find 1 women in the top100 players in the world.

Its the same in Badminton.
My dad has a brother that was on a junier national team, as one of the best players in the country, and hed beat my dad in badminton pretty convincingly. However my dad back then would beat the best female junior national player, the same way (he jokes she hated him for it).

Badminton is in a totally different league than table tennis. It's far more physical. Power helps, height helps, reach helps. They are not comparable at all.

Hmm, pie.

Males generally have better hand-eye coordination, speed, reflexes, spatial orientation and awareness. It's not just about strength. So the best males in almost all sports will be superior to the best females because of a number of these factors. The only sport where none of these factors is significant is in equestrian sports because it's the horse that matters with all those physical things and the rider just needs to be one with the horse, and where that's concerned males and females are on equal terms.

So, no matter how good a woman gets at table tennis she will never be better than the best man. If people think equality means women having to compete against men in situations where physical traits means women are not on an equal footing that is pure ignorance and a failure to understand what equality means.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

There is even a Chess league division for women. I don't believe its about which gender is stronger or smarter. Its about an archaic tradition.

Women were not considered for any kind of competition until recent decades. When they started to gain interest and attention, we already had professional leagues for men and it would have been unfair to match somebody that is just learning how to play, against someone that have been playing for years.

We simply adopted that same mentality for almost every type of competition, ignoring the fact that women now adopt the discipline in their early years as much as men.

So basically, we are still being ruled by outdated lines of thought. We should be glad we were born in a better society and that video games were born in this era, we still need to improve a lot, but at least we can all play together :)

Because if there was and one gender was far surpassing the other, then we would complain why their arent segregated competitions

Around the Network
The_BlackHeart__ said:
There is even a Chess league division for women. I don't believe its about which gender is stronger or smarter. Its about an archaic tradition.

Women were not considered for any kind of competition until recent decades. When they started to gain interest and attention, we already had professional leagues for men and it would have been unfair to match somebody that is just learning how to play, against someone that have been playing for years.

We simply adopted that same mentality for almost every type of competition, ignoring the fact that women now adopt the discipline in their early years as much as men.

So basically, we are still being ruled by outdated lines of thought. We should be glad we were born in a better society and that video games were born in this era, we still need to improve a lot, but at least we can all play together :)

Back in the days when these sports were founded/opened to women (many sports where outright closed to women at first, even the first few olympic games where men only), women where indeed deemed unfit and inferior to women in any kind of sports (and not just there!). That's also why women's sports are also often shorter or "easier": heptathlon versus decathlon, maximum of 3 sets instead of 5 sets in tennis, shorter distances in cycling, the list goes on.

While back then the reason it was istalled was percieved inferiority, the reason why it is kept is probably because of pragmatic reasons (you would need either 4 dressing rooms and showers or mixed ones, for example) and professional sports. In more physical sports most women would fall to far behind to be top tier, for one, but just as importantly would be marketing. Bar a few exeptions (mostly tennisplayers), sportswomen don't get really marketed nearly as much as men. Thus they could become as good or even better than the others, and still be some dead meat for the team in terms of income generation, and headhunters thus wouldn't look out for them no matter their talent. You can see this in sports which are open to any gender, like car racing. How many female racers do you know? Not too many, I presume, if any at all.

I do hope this all changes one day. One of my favorite scenes in the Starship Troopers movie is their mixed gender indoor american football-esque sports scene. I really hope we can reach this point someday.

Because men are quite simply better than women at sports. Combining men and women in the same league would be ridiculous, as no women would be ranked anywhere near the top and no women would ever advance very far in any tournaments.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

There are probably a few woman who can beat some men in the top 100 or even 50 (they play quite different as men exactly because they can't play like them which could give them some disadvantages but also a few advantages) but I doubt they could ever be ranked 1 in the world if there would be no differentiation. It would also probably mean that less woman would even have a chance to play professional since they would be ranked somewhere which wouldn't bring them many sponsors and pretty much no price money.

I mean, if they would really put them together we would have two problems, first is that those who are very successful now would be already eliminated very early in championships and those who aren't part of the maybe top 5 of woman table tennis would not even qualify for championships. You would have only the same few woman in professional table tennis and that's it.

Sure, table tennis is not like 100 metres or whatever but physical abilities are still a part of it.

I just don't see the best woman have a chance against the best Chinese or German players in the long run (+some from other countries)

"but more one of precision and accuracy and fast reactions."

perhaps men are superior in these attributes also?

Its basically the same reason as most sports out there.

Pocky Lover Boy!