By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is a Holocaust game too far?

I give us another decade or so before we have gamer-directors making some real movies that respect the game art form.

We're already there. Just look at Uwe Boll's films. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
The Ghost of RubangB said:
yversen said:
BenKenobi88 and DKII are on the money here. Look at ALLLL the war games that are out there... the war games that are pretty much SHOOT EVERYTHING WHEEEE!!!!. But someone trying to treat the subject matter in a meaningful way is going about it wrong?

Seriously. War is hell. So can't we have at least ONE game that treats war like hell instead of like a fucking Gatorade or Nike commercial?

Government Food Ration: The Game.

Stand in line, fight your neighbors, and try not to run out of rationed gasoline on your way to the ration ticket office. Brilliant! It would sell by the truckload.

It could also have a few spin-offs using the same engine: Russian Bread Line: The Game and African Vaccination Shelter: The Game spring to mind right off the bat. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

I understand where he comes from when he's mad about the game but watching a movie about holocaust is no different than playing the game the game makes you feel into the moment and it is a good learning experience but still this may have crossed the line.

rocketpig said:
Posters should get 10 VGC$ every time they mention Maus, 15 VGC$ if it's used as an example of non-traditional media handling a delicate subject well.

That was a really really good comic and a good example.

luinil said:
donathos said:
sienster said:
I don't think it's appropriate gaming material. Just as a game about 9/11 wouldn't be appropriate. Also, I don't think a game about crucifying Jesus would work either. It would just stir up too many emotions.

Actually, now we have three good ideas.

Seriously though, this entire thread is about the word "game." As we've all seen, the Holocaust, 9/11, the crucifixion, etc., are all fine subject matters for all sorts of media -- films, novels, songs, etc. Video games are simply another type of media, and they can be employed in all sorts of manners for any kind of subject.

Once upon a time -- before "graphic novels" -- comic books were a disrespected form of media, and I'm sure that the same close-minded types as found here would have balked at the idea of a comic book dealing with the Holocaust. But go ahead and read Maus, and then tell me whether or not comics can handle those sorts of adult matters. Video games can, too; they just need to be done well.

I would have to point out that nearly all other mediums of so-called "edutainment" are not interactive. In this sense actually performing the deed yourself is something that would need to be researched and studied before claiming that is a good and appropriate material to make a game around. When you put yourself in a situation that must make a decision and perform an action, whether real or virtual, is something beyond simply watching it from a 3rd Person's perspective.

Yeah, but it's not like you play a nazi.  You play a victim of the Holocaust.

Around the Network
donathos said:
sienster said:
I don't think it's appropriate gaming material. Just as a game about 9/11 wouldn't be appropriate. Also, I don't think a game about crucifying Jesus would work either. It would just stir up too many emotions.

Actually, now we have three good ideas.

Seriously though, this entire thread is about the word "game." As we've all seen, the Holocaust, 9/11, the crucifixion, etc., are all fine subject matters for all sorts of media -- films, novels, songs, etc. Video games are simply another type of media, and they can be employed in all sorts of manners for any kind of subject.

Once upon a time -- before "graphic novels" -- comic books were a disrespected form of media, and I'm sure that the same close-minded types as found here would have balked at the idea of a comic book dealing with the Holocaust. But go ahead and read Maus, and then tell me whether or not comics can handle those sorts of adult matters. Video games can, too; they just need to be done well.

So you think a game about 9/11 would go over well today?  Three good ideas?!?  I don't know about that.  Maybe in another 30 years or so.  I mean, you could have a game about Pearl Harbor ( if there isn't already) and I don't think many people would have problems with that.  I don't think either a game about Jesus or the Holocaust would ever work - there would always be too much controversy.

I actually had a dream about a plot line for a game in this time period. You would be a young cadet, with Jewish heritage, just recruited into the German Army before the invasion of Poland. You would have to make the decision to either follow orders and rise to power or follow another path and try to escape once you found out what was happening. Your decision would effect how everyone treated you. If you were a merciless bastard, you could get a promotion and gain the command of troops. If you tried to escape or stop them in some way, you would be treated like a traitor.

Either way you play it, your character would be helpless in stopping the victimization of the Jews and Christians in the Holocaust. You, the player, would forced to be repulsed at some level, unless you are a completely heartless bastard who enjoys partaking in genocide... This might make for a decent game and treating the subject matter well, imo... I would need to run it by some friends first. Thats what you guys are for.

I would have loved to play this game, to bad it's not comming out. :(