By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is a Holocaust game too far?

Parokki said:
He's also clearly too old to change his mind on anything, so we'll just have to ignore him until he dies.

Pure awesome. +1 for Parokki.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

I know nothing about the game, but if it's for educational purposes then I say go for it.

i guess its the fact its targeting kids and making light of the subject matter.....there is nothing cute of fantasy based about that whole situation

Parokki said:
A game where you put Jews in the furnace? Absolutely unacceptable!

The game in question? A great idea!

The problem here is probably that the old guy knows nothing about games, and thinks they're only for fun. He's also clearly too old to change his mind on anything, so we'll just have to ignore him until he dies.

I actually find that perfectly acceptable. Not because it's slaughtering a race but because I think people should make what they want. Leave it up to the consumers to buy it or not. If they don't want to play that then they don't need to buy it. And I say this to you how is that any different than GTA.... going on a rampage killing anyone who walks down the street... going on a rampage killing a bunch of people of a race/religion.... Is the difference because we don't put a name to the victims in GTA? (edit: I'm sure if I spent 12 years[think thats how long the holocaust lasted] playing GTA I could kill 6mil people.)

People who tell other people what to do or what not to do are the cause many of the worlds problems.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Around the Network

What’s worse: rape or murder? I say Murder. We have murder simulators all over gaming. In fact, one of the most popular games of all time (GTA), is a murder simulator. A rape simulator just sound like about the tasteless possible game I could think of (top 5 anyway), and I would not buy it. But again, it’s just a game. It’s odd that the idea of that game shocks us, yet a game where you can bludgeon innocent people to death seems like no big deal. Anyway, on point (And I am Jewish by the way)… The first thing that comes to mind when I read these things is this: Did he even play the game? Did he ever see the game played? When people put down things like this, it’s usually from the position of ignorance. When I saw the first few cut scenes of call of duty 4, I felt a little uncomfortable. Like war is actually a bad thing. Video games rarely do a good job of conveying this feeling, but if this one does, and can hold the players attention enough to educate them, then what’s the problem?

@pooper--n the new one one of the mini games is a drunk driving game

@steven--and teh rest of the problem are caused by the stupid people who dont get stopped

This game sounds interesting; I'll have to put it on my watch list.

If it were an RTS game where the player herds around Jews, I'd understand the outrage. As it stands, I don't see what the fuss is about.

rocketpig said:

Now, I do acknowledge that games can be pretty educative, but I honestly think this is too far. Games are meant to be enjoyed, and to think someone is going to make a game out of a man's horrifying experience to be enjoyed by the rest of the world is sickening.

What's next, a rape simulator to educate people why rape is wrong? Get real.

Are you joking? Movies deal with serious situations all the time. There is nothing wrong with a game showing the horrors of the Holocaust in a serious and educational manner.

People need to get their head out of their ass and realize that games can extend beyond the world of Mario and become a legitimate art form in their own right. This kind of thinking pisses me off. 

Don't get me wrong on this. I'm not against the fact that a game can be as serious and informative as a video documentary on something horrible, the only difference is the medium it's delivered in. But the fact of the matter is that this Luc Bernard guy is making an game about an atrocity that is "enjoyable to play." 

Now, a lot of people seem to be having some sort of bias against the Holocaust survivor because he's "old." Not all old people are codgers. I have great sympathy for the man. The reason I'm against this game is simply because they are making some sort of game out of his experience. 

Put yourselves into his shoes. He went through a horrible ordeal, maybe a lot of his family and friends were slaughtered by Nazis, and he probably had to deal with life afterwards with nothing but the rags he was wearing. Years later you got some dick who never experienced the Holocaust making an game out of it that's "enjoyable to play." 

This game isn't simply something that's supposed to be informative, it's a game. I really advocate video games that educate people as much as anyone else, but I'd honestly tone the interaction down and remove the "enjoyable to play" part. I seriously hope this game is more of a trivia type of game. 

zeitgeistmovie.com

PS3 Trophies

^ i doubt it..it will proably play light of the subject and not really be educational