By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo thinks Sony and Microsoft will steal their next console idea.

bananaking21 said:
Nem said:

What do you mean? Didnt they get copied with motion controls after the Wii?

Of course its a legitimate concern.

Sony's strategy has always been one to copy the competition though. Its a very legitimate strategy wich cuts on development costs.

I swear, sometimes people hate on Nintendo just for the sake of it.

care to explain how did the PS4 copy the WiiU and XB1?

Care to explain how the PS4 is innovative? 

Quite honestly, i'm seeing shocking replies in this thread of fans feeling offended.

Sony uses this corporate strategy. Its something widely known in the market and has been studied. If we want to pretend they arent because they or philips registered hundreads of useless patents they never use in case someone else does they can sue, does not change the fact that "following the leader" strategy is the one the Sony corporation has used for more than a decade. And before you come with "lolz Sony IS the leader lolz" this pertains to the innovation leaders aswell. Sony has been copying Philips and Nintendo aswell in more than one occasion. This is nothing to be ashamed about though its a perfectly normal strategy with clear benefits as i have said before. Actually Sony has copied Microsoft with the later life of the PS3 in terms of software development and the PS4 making hardware closer to the PC structure like the 360 was.

What you guys need to understand is that copying something good, isnt a bad thing. Its a smart thing. 

Sony hasnt been the innovator since the walkman and discman days. They were losing too much money with that strategy, wich is why they changed it, even though they didnt achieve great results, they cut costs. 

Also, please don't reply if you dont understand corporate strategy. Not for you in particular bking, but to all people replying to this topic without any sense of what these things mean.

Around the Network
Nem said:
bananaking21 said:

care to explain how did the PS4 copy the WiiU and XB1?

Care to explain how the PS4 is innovative? 

Quite honestly, i'm seeing shocking replies in this thread of fans feeling offended.

Sony uses this corporate strategy. Its something widely known in the market and has been studied. If we want to pretend they arent because they or philips registered hundreads of useless patents they never use in case someone else does they can sue, does not change the fact that "following the leader" strategy is the one the Sony corporation has used for more than a decade. And before you come with "lolz Sony IS the leader lolz" this pertains to the innovation leaders aswell. Sony has been copying Philips and Nintendo aswell in more than one occasion. This is nothing to be ashamed about though its a perfectly normal strategy with clear benefits as i have said before. Actually Sony has copied Microsoft with the later life of the PS3 in terms of software development and the PS4 making hardware closer to the PC structure like the 360 was.

What you guys need to understand is that copying something good, isnt a bad thing. Its a smart thing. 

Pretty much this. Why are people so defensive over this? As if Nintendo has never copied an idea or concept before lol...

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Kyuu said:
Sony entered the console market quite late so of course they're going to copy many of the same ideas of the market leader while introducing new ideas. Like Nintendo was affected by Atari and others before them to an extent, but it's nonsense to claim that Nintendo can influence Sony and the opposite can't be true.

Wii's motion gaming clearly took inspiration from Ps2's Eyetoy
, (As did Kinect which was more of a direct copy) Sony also influenced Nintendo to eventually use the proper concept of Analog Stick (Dual) and ditch their incomplete single analog idea (which nobody will deny that it by itself is a great innovation) Copying and polishing ideas can help technology move forward. Being original for the sake of it is not beneficial for the industry.

And there is the second screen thing, wasn't that first implemented with PSP-PS3? why do people claim Sony copied the Wii U? Second screen is the natural and expected evolution. Nobody's copying anything from anybody people!

I gotta admit though, I'm not a fan of some of Sony's more blatant software rip-offs like the embarrassing Playstation Allstars, or "Pets" for the Vita. Not to mention Crash Team Racing but at least that game was excellent.

or you know their old motion controller the power glove ;)

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Alkibiádēs said:
batgod said:

nintendo strikes once again with their bullshit

You're right, every company should just be completely open about their R & D divisions. I seriously can't believe how anyone can think this is bullshit. Nintendo is just stating the obvious here.

Alkibiádēs said:
vivster said:
Can't blame them. I'm sure Sony is very curious about how it feels to have an install base below 30m.

Oh, I think they're very aware of how that feels.

Yep even the mighty PS4 is still under 30m, around E3 it was just abit over 24million units sold (going by sony rep at morpheus demo booth).

The thing is... is the Wii U over 10m yet?...

Around the Network
batgod said:
Alkibiádēs said:
batgod said:

nintendo strikes once again with their bullshit

-snip-

You're right, every company should just be completely open about their R & D divisions. I seriously can't believe how anyone can think this is bullshit. Nintendo is just stating the obvious here.

-snip-

What are you without your gif's? They don't make you right.

JRPGfan said:
Alkibiádēs said:
vivster said:
Can't blame them. I'm sure Sony is very curious about how it feels to have an install base below 30m.

Oh, I think they're very aware of how that feels.

Yep even the mighty PS4 is still under 30m, around E3 it was just abit over 24million units sold (going by sony rep at morpheus demo booth).

The thing is... is the Wii U over 10m yet?...

Does the Wii U's failure make you feel better about the Vita failure?

I see no other reason as to why you would bring that up when I make a mere factual statement to respond to a sarcastic remark. Quite sad that you think like that.

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

It's funny how 90% of the replies here would be completely different if the Wii U was a success.
Nintendo being afraid of someone stealing their next big idea is understandable.
Will it be a huge success? Probably not, but it could be.
I'm pretty sure Sony and Microsoft think about this in the same way...

If you're interested in Nintendo content and understand german, maybe you want to take a look at my youtube channel! :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/RealGamingExpert

I understand where they're coming from as Nintendo's whole business culture is about innovation, so they're quite rightly protective over anything new. You could argue that MS and Sony are a lot more risk-averse and so far more likely to "steal" ideas once they're proven in the market. But I don't see why anyone has a problem with that, it's pretty much how most businesses operate - why take the risk with something new when you can react as fast as MS and Sony to new trends, often building better versions of the innovations themselves?

As for Nintendo 'stealing' cross-screen play and 3D, Nintendo were experimenting with 3D before launching the GameCube. Luigi's Mansion was built as a game designed to be played on a stereoscopic 3D screen that could be attached to the GC, but was obviously far too expensive to put to market in 2001. As for the two screen idea, Wii U owes more to DS and the GC/GBA connectivity than it does PS3/PSP connectivity.

People really need to stop getting their knickers in a twist and realise that 'stealing' ideas is how many markets work. If somebody does something with their product that resonates with consumers, competitors will respond by aping those successful features. Nintendo are right not to talk too openly about what they're planning next, because every week Sony, Microsoft and other companies know what NX is, is more time for those companies to (if they think they need to) appropriate features from that product, and to counter that product in some way.

It's another sign of this herd-driven, hype-centric post-E3 mentality that's making these forums a less interesting place to hang around. "Nintendo executives say something publicly! THEY MUST BE EVIL!" may as well be the thread title for a number of threads on these forums.