By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - All we need is immigration reform

generic-user-1 said:
method114 said:

Yep I understand a lot of people hate these systems but I've seen them work and I've seen them help people get out of the hole they're in. My family was on them at one point and now my dad is making over 120k a year. My sister is making over 60k a year and I'm making over 50k a year once my contract is up I'll easily be able to find  a job making 60k+. We were children of welfare and now we help pay back into the system that helped us when we needed it.  Mitt Romney's family was also on Welfare and now look at how well they're doing. You always hear about the people who are abusing them system but you rarely hear about the people who used it for what it was inteded for. Helping people who are in a rough spot and just need some help until they can work themselves out of it.

It's a shame that people abuse the system but honestly these programs aren't the place we should be looking to get money back. We need to focus on these companies that are using tax loop holes to avoid paying anything. That will bring in more money then will know what to do with.

im pretty sure mr romney did never need welfare checks, his dad was the boss of a car company, governeur of michigan and minister under nixon, if he got welfare checks, he abused the system big time.

Mitt Romney's father used public aid, setup by Congress (100K fund) when they fled Mexico in 1912, obviously before the family made it big.  But, that's really the argument behind the State/Fed assisting those in need.  If done properly, it helps enable people to get back on their feet after a catastrophic life event.

“[George Romney] was on welfare relief for the first years of his life. But this great country gave him opportunities,” Lenore Romney said in the video, which apparently dates back to George Romney’s 1962 run for governor of Michigan." 

http://www.boston.com/politicalintelligence/2012/09/19/mitt-romney-father-george-romney-was-public-aid-recipient-child-after-family-fled-mexico/RJOgNPBaAxJkH1vqWVnGDL/story.html

Around the Network
mornelithe said:
generic-user-1 said:
method114 said:

Yep I understand a lot of people hate these systems but I've seen them work and I've seen them help people get out of the hole they're in. My family was on them at one point and now my dad is making over 120k a year. My sister is making over 60k a year and I'm making over 50k a year once my contract is up I'll easily be able to find  a job making 60k+. We were children of welfare and now we help pay back into the system that helped us when we needed it.  Mitt Romney's family was also on Welfare and now look at how well they're doing. You always hear about the people who are abusing them system but you rarely hear about the people who used it for what it was inteded for. Helping people who are in a rough spot and just need some help until they can work themselves out of it.

It's a shame that people abuse the system but honestly these programs aren't the place we should be looking to get money back. We need to focus on these companies that are using tax loop holes to avoid paying anything. That will bring in more money then will know what to do with.

im pretty sure mr romney did never need welfare checks, his dad was the boss of a car company, governeur of michigan and minister under nixon, if he got welfare checks, he abused the system big time.

Mitt Romney's father used public aid, setup by Congress (100K fund) when they fled Mexico in 1912, obviously before the family made it big.  But, that's really the argument behind the State/Fed assisting those in need.  If done properly, it helps enable people to get back on their feet after a catastrophic life event.

“[George Romney] was on welfare relief for the first years of his life. But this great country gave him opportunities,” Lenore Romney said in the video, which apparently dates back to George Romney’s 1962 run for governor of Michigan." 

http://www.boston.com/politicalintelligence/2012/09/19/mitt-romney-father-george-romney-was-public-aid-recipient-child-after-family-fled-mexico/RJOgNPBaAxJkH1vqWVnGDL/story.html

thats 30 years before mitt was born... 

generic-user-1 said:
mornelithe said:

Yeah and?  It may have been stated poorly, but the Romney family, did indeed use public funds when they fled Mexico.  Nothing wrong with it either, that's what those kinds of safety nets are designed for.

generic-user-1 said:
mornelithe said:
generic-user-1 said:
method114 said:

That's my point. Romneys dad was able to use that aid to get help setup his family and his future children. Aid money used that long ago has helped his family for generations. It's done the exact same thing for my family. We've had two different famalies on my dads side move here from Dominican Republic and live with us while they get jobs and go on to buy homes over their own. This was all because America helped us get on our feet and in turn my family was able to help others. It doesn't matter when the money comes in it can have an effect on a family that last generations.

I have a friend who's family was way to poor and dead beat to send him to college. He was able to a loan free money from a Texas program that paid for everything. They didn't give him enough when he went to U of H but luckily he got so much extra money during community college he saved it and used it in the university. He now has a computer science degree and two great kids doing much better then I am. I've seen this time and time again I have countless stories about it. I grew up very poor and I've seen all kinds of people from the ones who abuse the system to the ones who use it to their advantage.