By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Yu Suzuki: Sony and Shibuya Productions are not seeing a cent of your Shenmue 3 Kickstarter dollars

Legend11 said:
Sony seems to have no problems coming up with money for the new BFF the generation, Activision, so why can't they give some real money to a developer that actually needs it? They already milked the game at E3 with some gamers declaring Sony won E3 because of this announcement, they owe him something for that kind of perception.

It's "For the gamers" not "F*ck the gamers". It's really sad how quickly the old Sony seems to be rearing its ugly head again after how good they were with PS3 gamers. I'm actually glad that Xbox One is struggling because you can actually see the good changes that a humbled Microsoft has brought to that platform.

Yeah but microsoft isnt funding shenmue 3 either

Around the Network
Mystro-Sama said:
But they're asking for 10m... which is double Bloodstained's budget which is the currently the most funded game on kickstarter if i'm not mistaken.

pCARs is asking $11 million.

Azerth said:
Ya but sony is helping fund it so why cant they hust give them 10mil to get the open world stuff

$10m is outside the Sony money for PS4 port and marketing.

$10m is what Yu needs more than he already have to make the open world game... they already have others funding outside the $10m.

And here is what I posted in the VGChartz article without apologies:

"Here's the bottom line. We are getting Shenmue 3 one way or another, and it will be developed under Yu Suzuki. This can only be a good thing. And for this we should be very thankful. And I'm going to call a spade a spade by saying that the far majority of hate is coming mainly from Xbox fans and former Dreamcast owners. A lot of Dreamcast owners were butthurt over Sega stopping production of the console, and rightfully so. But besides blaming Sega's business practices, they painted Sony the devil since the PS2 obviously won out on that one. Then, those particular Dreamcast owners moved on to the original Xbox because of their spite for Sony. And of course Shenmue was one of those "gem" titles on both the Xbox and the Dreamcast. Now fast forward to today, Shenmue is coming to the PS4. *@^#&)! GET OVER IT! As a Nintendo fanboy who appreciates Sony who has never owned a Microsoft console, I've been preaching Shenmue to all the casual/mainstream Xbox owners who don't know about this gem that is normally set apart from the high profile shooters of its time. Most of those who supported Shenmue in the past are the same ones who are now trying to bring it down. Go figure."

LivingMetal said:
And here is what I posted in the VGChartz article without apologies:

"Here's the bottom line. We are getting Shenmue 3 one way or another, and it will be developed under Yu Suzuki. This can only be a good thing. And for this we should be very thankful. And I'm going to call a spade a spade by saying that the far majority of hate is coming mainly from Xbox fans and former Dreamcast owners. A lot of Dreamcast owners were butthurt over Sega stopping production of the console, and rightfully so. But besides blaming Sega's business practices, they painted Sony the devil since the PS2 obviously won out on that one. Then, those particular Dreamcast owners moved on to the original Xbox because of their spite for Sony. And of course Shenmue was one of those "gem" titles on both the Xbox and the Dreamcast. Now fast forward to today, Shenmue is coming to the PS4. *@^#&)! GET OVER IT! As a Nintendo fanboy who appreciates Sony who has never owned a Microsoft console, I've been preaching Shenmue to all the casual/mainstream Xbox owners who don't know about this gem that is normally set apart from the high profile shooters of its time. Most of those who supported Shenmue in the past are the same ones who are now trying to bring it down. Go figure."

And I gave you thumbs up over there........well said sir!

Around the Network

I would rather sony be involved in production, I have no faith that this will come close to meeting peoples expectations.

Lawlight said:
twintail said:

seriously not this rubbish again...

Sony's support for the game starts and end at assisting in production and marketing of the game.  They are not putting money into any form of development. 

This is in line with what they do with other indie developlers (of which some even release their games on other platforms because Sony has not invested in the actual game).

As Suzuki has said, funding comes directly from KS and only KS. Sony is helping with promoting the game, which is pretty much what they did at their conference: they promotedthe game and its kickstarter.

If that's true then I don't have much hope for this game. There is no way to make an open world game for the amount of money they'll get from Shenmue.

Witcher 2 was produced with 12M...

But as others have said, Ys Net has secured other funds from other sources, and the 10M is basically what's missing for Yu Suzuki to have enough money to make the game the way he envisioned it. People saying companies should just write a blank check to Ys Net so he can make his game have really no idea how businesses work. xD

Legend11 said:
Sony seems to have no problems coming up with money for the new BFF the generation, Activision, so why can't they give some real money to a developer that actually needs it? They already milked the game at E3 with some gamers declaring Sony won E3 because of this announcement, they owe him something for that kind of perception.

It's "For the gamers" not "F*ck the gamers". It's really sad how quickly the old Sony seems to be rearing its ugly head again after how good they were with PS3 gamers. I'm actually glad that Xbox One is struggling because you can actually see the good changes that a humbled Microsoft has brought to that platform.

Wtf are you even on about? No harm but you sound incredibly salty

Hynad said:

Witcher 2 was produced with 12M...

I through it was more...

Ah, so that means it's also going to be on Xbox One and Wii U, right? since Sony has nothing to do with it, right? just promoting it, right? Cool.