By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 Might Never Have Backwards Compatibility, What Can Sony Do

Why oh why are people buying new hardware to play old games on it? Or even worse, do people actually buy the ps4/xb1 to play ps3/360 games?????

Around the Network

I don't see why people get so upset that people actually want to play their old games on a new machine. Reading some of the comments here, you'd think it was a sin that someone would actually want to play some of their older games, as if older games should just be discarded because they're on older hardware. I suppose people believe that others have limitless desk space for so many old machines as well or want so much hardware clutter?

Playstation Now exists for a reason, there you go.

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...

to me, BC was important for a new launch console, but it isn't anymore when already have so many new games to buy now, so it is fine to me even current gen will never have BC at all...

IAmCrimsonLegion said:

I don't see why people get so upset that people actually want to play their old games on a new machine. Reading some of the comments here, you'd think it was a sin that someone would actually want to play some of their older games, as if older games should just be discarded because they're on older hardware. I suppose people believe that others have limitless desk space for so many old machines as well or want so much hardware clutter?

I think it's that people don't want resources poured into trying to implement limited BC on the PS4 when those resources could go to new IPs, sequels or remakes. Also to  get the most out of BC, a console needs to be made for it otherwise it will be very limited. The xbox one and playstation 4 were not designed for it. Also there's people who have the BC PS3 so having limited BC on the PS4 is redundant.  Speaking of that, the ps3 had full bc and not many were that interested in it. It made the price higher and the ps3 actually sold alot better without it. 

Around the Network
Augen said:
bananaking21 said:

didnt bother reading the long ass article but here is my answer to the question in the title "PS4 Might Never Have Backwards Compatibility, What Can Sony Do?"

The obvious answer is: Not give a fuck because backwards compatibility isnt really a big deal... at all... and its not a game changer in any way or form. its a nice feature to have, and thats it. 

Not sure I get the panic among some people when PS4 is selling well (far ahead of predecessor and far ahead of current competition) despite holding at launch price.

im not sure. i seen weirder things happen. however i dont think i seen any panic regarding BC and the sales of the PS4 and XB1, i think everybody knows that is set in stone. 

Intrinsic said:
Why oh why are people buying new hardware to play old games on it? Or even worse, do people actually buy the ps4/xb1 to play ps3/360 games?????

You can do it on XBOne, but can't do it on PS4, so it's a big deal. Even though the thing, itself, isn't a big deal.

If XBOne gets any advantage, no matter how small, it will get praised to the heavens because its fans have been on the backend of "good things" this gen, so far.

It's like the fact that iPhones pretty much dominate the phone market (in terms of standardized phone families). So, Samsung comes out and says "look, our phone has a ticker on the side called "Information Stream". Now, a lot of people are saying "look, this is something iPhone doesn't have. What can Apple do to compete with this?" when in reality, it's just a small feature that doesn't really change or add much to the overall usability/enjoyment/functionality of the phone. But it's something iPhone doesn't have, so it's a "game changer".

Same as how BC is being treated.

If people want to play games that came out on 10 year old hardware then they need to buy the old systems. The rest of us have moved on.

BMaker11 said:
Intrinsic said:

You can do it on XBOne, but can't do it on PS4, so it's a big deal. Even though the thing, itself, isn't a big deal.

If XBOne gets any advantage, no matter how small, it will get praised to the heavens because its fans have been on the backend of "good things" this gen, so far.

It's like the fact that iPhones pretty much dominate the phone market (in terms of standardized phone families). So, Samsung comes out and says "look, our phone has a ticker on the side called "Information Stream". Now, a lot of people are saying "look, this is something iPhone doesn't have. What can Apple do to compete with this?" when in reality, it's just a small feature that doesn't really change or add much to the overall usability/enjoyment/functionality of the phone. But it's something iPhone doesn't have, so it's a "game changer".

Same as how BC is being treated.

Honestly - i view it as no different than Sony fans saying: haha you can't shareplay, remote play (they will soon), or PS Now; or MS fans saying: haha i can snap and say xbone on!

So...my bet: in a year or so noone will give a f about bc. It's that way every gen.

(Z->)90°-(E-N²W)90°t=1